AMD Radeon RDNA2 Navi (RX 6500, 6600, 6700, 6800, 6900 XT)

Well yeah, around 5-8% slower than 3080 in rasterization can be also called "somewhere in between" but I think you took the meaning quite too far. Also ignoring lower power, cheaper, and with more VRAM than both competitors. I dunno about 10 Gbytes, but 8 Gigabytes of VRAM will soon be a limit.

Cheaper depends on where you live. In Sweden the reference cards were not cheaper. And the AIB cards will cost premium just like RTX 30 series

Is NVIDIA still bringing more FE's? Since FE is the only 3070 ever sold at MSRP, AIB cards are way higher, and it's FE was so limited only few select NVIDIA storefronts had any to sell (not betting my head on this, but I think it was mentioned somewhere only two European NVIDIA stores had any)
AMD has confirmed to produce references 'till sometime in Q1/21 and is expected to re-stock their own store too (which sells at MSRP guaranteed)
Best Buy is selling FE models in US, Canada and Mexico for Nvidia. Nvidia says European orders are evaluated as they come in. Have not checked other AIB's, but Evga does have a 3070 selling at $499.

Is NVIDIA still bringing more FE's? Since FE is the only 3070 ever sold at MSRP, AIB cards are way higher, and it's FE was so limited only few select NVIDIA storefronts had any to sell (not betting my head on this, but I think it was mentioned somewhere only two European NVIDIA stores had any)
AMD has confirmed to produce references 'till sometime in Q1/21 and is expected to re-stock their own store too (which sells at MSRP guaranteed)
In stock in Germany as we speak

https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/nvidia+geforce+rtx+3070+founders+edition+688097

edit: RIP

Last edited:
Best Buy is selling FE models in US, Canada and Mexico. They say European orders are evaluated as they come in. Have not checked other AIB's, but Evga does have a 3070 selling at $499.
Cheapest listed in Finland is 586,90€, Gigabyte Eagle, reference was supposed to sell for 529,00€. Cheapest EVGA listed is XC3 Gaming at 617,90€
Looks like NVIDIA has removed the possibility to buy any RTX 30 series from their Finnish storefront now, no guide how to make "european order to be evaluated" or anything

In other news
https://hwbot.org/benchmark/3dmark_-_fire_strike/rankings?cores=1#start=0#interval=20

RX 6800 XT just took the top spot in 3DMark Fire Strike with reference cooler. CPU was LN2 cooled though.

It was referred to MSRP and to the 3080. It's useless to draw comparisons with inflated prices due to low supply.

Whats useless is to make an argument based on a non existant MSRP by both companies. For a consumer actually wanting to buy a card, RDNA2 is not cheaper in quite a few countries.

I suspect there's some subtlety with those defines. The front end of the scan converter matters for triangle throughput, but in order to scale the pixel rate maybe the back end is implemented differently. ;)

But isn't the scan sonverter the main part of the rasterizer? Also why do you have 8 scan converter when scan converter gets only 4 polygons. This will be an unbalance?

Whats useless is to make an argument based on a non existant MSRP by both companies. For a consumer actually wanting to buy a card, RDNA2 is not cheaper in quite a few countries.

Sorry but this is pure bullshit. Comparing prices due to scalpers is against every principle of fair comparison, especially when one series was launched 2 months ago and the other yesterday. A lot of people is making it sound like if you don't buy the first month or two you'll die. Hint: it's not the case.

In other news
https://hwbot.org/benchmark/3dmark_-_fire_strike/rankings?cores=1#start=0#interval=20

RX 6800 XT just took the top spot in 3DMark Fire Strike with reference cooler. CPU was LN2 cooled though.
  • Alva’s notes:
    • 2650Mhz is the boost setting applied from Performance Tuning panel, not the real clock during load (GPU is power-limited)
    • Tesselation modified, Not 3DMark Hall of Fame valid (valid score with similar setup around 45Khttps://www.3dmark.com/hall-of-fame-2/fire+strike+3dmark+score+performance+preset/version+1.1/1+gpu
    • It’s rather difficult managing the cold bug on the 2-CCD CPU, this one lost the GPU (d6 error) and generally having errors at -100C, changing FCLK to lower doesn’t help, not sure exactly what’s holding it back
    • It’s been a LONG time since we saw an AMD CPU and GPU on any of the 3DMark, this is refreshing
https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-radeon-rx-6800xt-breaks-hwbots-3dmark-fire-strike-world-record

Last edited:
So in conclusion, I'm torn and don't know which to get!

RT is going to keep existing on PC even if it doesnt on 9th gen consoles. You'd have that extra on pc in that case. Anyway, im sure that wont happen, consoles have that hardware and devs are going to use it (even to limited extend/compromises as seen in WDL and MM).

Well yeah, around 5-8% slower in 4K, on par at 1440p and dusting it below that compared to a 3080 in rasterization (depending on the test suite it could also be fastr) can be also called "somewhere in between" but I think you took the meaning quite too far. Also ignoring lower power, cheaper, and with more VRAM than both competitors. I dunno about 10 Gbytes, but 8 Gigabytes of VRAM will soon be a limit.

I was talking in context to the consoles to answer the post i quoted.
What GPUs do below 1440p isnt really..... important i think? Honestly, 1080 to 1440p is going to be XSS class this day and age.
I'd better compare at 4k resolutions, and there the 6800XT at 8% slower isnt too bad anyway, close enough. The 16GB, lower power make up for that.
NV is going to answer with 16GB models im sure, they kinda have to.

For normal rasterization the 20+TF 6800XT is a damn fine GPU, competing with the 3080, even if somewhat slower. But, i was talking in context of the consoles, not the PC gpus from AMD per-se. The 6800XT most likely does RT better then what the consoles do, aswell. It changes my perspective.

But isn't the scan sonverter the main part of the rasterizer? Also why do you have 8 scan converter when scan converter gets only 4 polygons. This will be an unbalance?
There are 4 scan converters as per the diagram. The driver settings don't mean what you think they mean or they are incorrect.

Sorry but this is pure bullshit. Comparing prices due to scalpers is against every principle of fair comparison, especially when one series was launched 2 months ago and the other yesterday. A lot of people is making it sound like if you don't buy the first month or two you'll die. Hint: it's not the case.

Lame strawman. The swedish prices were not scalped but rather AMD being douchebags (just like Nvidia) at this point i suspect u must be astroturfing here. AMD is not some angelic it upstart. Its a money grubbing company that likes its margins just like Apple, Intel and Nvidia

There are 4 scan converters as per the diagram. The driver settings don't mean what you think they mean or they are incorrect.

But than you have the issue in the linux driver and macOs 11 driver and macos10. I dont think that they have the wrong numbers in 3 drivers. Also the Scanconverter Count is matching to the old architectures realy well....

Sombody knows what we see here on this pictures?

Most power efficient GPU they have ever tested. This metric seemed to be all the rage for the last several years when Nvidia led it.
And now it's come to bite them in the ass.

The (few) who purchased a RX 6800 from a store, did it at MSRP. Same as nvidia AFAIK. There are some stores that started to scalp themselves, but from what I saw on reddit it seems AMD and AIBs have immediately ceased to supply those stores.
We should expect all the cards to become available at MSRP eventually. This isn't like the mining crisis where miners who got more cards == more money. The market for 500-700€ gaming graphics cards is limited, and at least the Navi 21 cards are pretty terrible for mining (Infinity Cache isn't suitable for mining so bandwidth is limited to GDDR6).

The (few) who purchased a RX 6800 from a store, did it at MSRP. Same as nvidia AFAIK. There are some stores that started to scalp themselves, but from what I saw on reddit it seems AMD and AIBs have immediately ceased to supply those stores.
We should expect all the cards to become available at MSRP eventually. This isn't like the mining crisis where miners who got more cards == more money. The market for 500-700€ gaming graphics cards is limited, and at least the Navi 21 cards are pretty terrible for mining (Infinity Cache isn't suitable for mining so bandwidth is limited to GDDR6).

https://www.sweclockers.com/test/30790-amd-radeon-rx-6800-och-rx-6800-xt/13

google translate the last page. AMD left the stores here no margins so they could not offer msrp prices

Lame strawman. The swedish prices were not scalped but rather AMD being douchebags (just like Nvidia) at this point i suspect u must be astroturfing here. AMD is not some angelic it upstart. Its a money grubbing company that likes its margins just like Apple, Intel and Nvidia

Again, you are spouting bullshit. I have examples of people in Italy being able to buy the card on AMD shop at MRSP (and by far more than those who were able to buy an Ampere card at day one). AMD is a company who thinks about profit like every other else, butI think you have to tone down your posts because you are going too far without any clue in understanding about demand and supply, or WHO is not offering cards at MRSP.

But than you have the issue in the linux driver and macOs 11 driver and macos10. I dont think that they have the wrong numbers in 3 drivers. Also the Scanconverter Count is matching to the old architectures realy well....

Sombody knows what we see here on this pictures?
paraphrasing:

- In RDNA 1, most vertex shaders are still running in the traditional graphics pipeline, not utilizing the NGG path. Hence, the utilization of NGG primitive shaders is low in practice.
- In RDNA 2, most front-end shaders (almost everything geometry, including VS) are converted to be run as NGG primitive shaders.

Again, you are spouting bullshit. I have examples of people in Italy being able to buy the card on AMD shop at MRSP (and by far more than those who were able to buy an Ampere card at day one). AMD is a company who thinks about profit like every other else, butI think you have to tone down your posts because you are going too far without any clue in understanding about demand and supply, or WHO is not offering cards at MRSP.

Im pretty sure i wrote ”cheaper depends on where you live” did i not? can you form an argument without using strawman tactics? Or this that your modus operandi when you astroturf forums?

I'm pretty sure Sweden isn't treated any different from Finland. None of the etailers/retailers here sell RX 6800 series at MSRPs, but you could order one straight from AMD for MSRP (or actually euro or two less) while they had stock.
Unless AMD is lying, it's either AIBs, importers or retailers who are taking extra cut.

Back