Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

My PS5 arrived fifteen minutes ago, unboxing took minutes and I had all the cables ready to go so it's not updating the firmware over my slow arse internet over which I'm also trying to do a day's work.

The UI hugely impresses out of the box. As others have said, it's very slick and I appreciated the prompt to insert a disc to begin installing a game while the rest of the setup takes place. It's not as big next to my TV as I suspect it may be so I can only assume you're all homunculus.

I've been playing Valhalla since this morning, a bit of Astrobot, and Warframe. So far everything is hunky dory. Apart from copying Warframe from the PS4 to PS5 failed to I had to download it instead, Also the picture was really murky until I discovered that not all HDMI ports are equal and only two of the four on my TV support 4kHDR... Couple of cable swap later and all is shiny again.

It's here!
:runaway:

V8Wx2zZ.jpeg

Tight fit :D

Astrobot is the most popular game so far, the kids cant get enough of it. I also like it, its really a fun platformer, graphics are great and things load very, very fast. The controller features are fun, too.
I cant play demon souls daytime but for the graphics it trounces spiderman and astrobot.

It's here!
:runaway:

V8Wx2zZ.jpeg

Wow, lol perfect fit :p

No joke. It looks like you had to jam it in there. Hope no scratches from it.
Nah, there's actually some 2cm of free space on the top and then another 2 or 3cm on each side :)

If I didn't have enough space to put it there I'd have replaced the HTPC to the right, which is being decommissioned anyway.

Please tell me that the back of the cabinet of open for ventilation!?!?! :runaway:

I made two mistakes setting mine up. I remarked it was nice that when I was going through setup, PS5 asked me if I wanted to insert a disc to begin install so I put in Valhalla. What I didn't realise was I put the disc in upside down and the PS5 didn't bother to tell me, it just sat there silently judging me while I went through the setup process. :rolleyes:

The other thing to be aware is that the USB A to USB C cable included is literally only for charging the DualSense controller. So I merrily attach my external storage SSD to a rear USB port using said the supplied cable port and get some warning about a problem with my drive. Uh huh, swap to the other read USB port. Same deal. Try the front one and it's tells me it's slow. Move the drive (not the cable) back to PS4 Pro and its fine. WTF? Then it dawns, the Sony cable isn't USB3. Swap in a decent cable and job done.

4K Blu-ray is good, the media remote is decent and Astrobot is really good fun. Now, Spider-Man or Valhalla. I know which London Geezer is playing. :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, there's actually some 2cm of free space on the top and then another 2 or 3cm on each side :)

If I didn't have enough space to put it there I'd have replaced the HTPC to the right, which is being decommissioned anyway.
how did you cable it; I had to do something similar but I had room above the console for my hands to go over it

We're finally here: the PS5 is now launching.

unnamed-file-46.png

Jim Ryan President & CEO, Sony Interactive Entertainment
What a year. I want to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart for cheering us on and keeping us honest. I know I speak for all of Sony Interactive Entertainment when I say that you are at the very center of everything we make and do here.

We never wavered in our vision for delivering a truly next-generation console that was built to excite both gamers and developers. We also knew that it would be nearly impossible for gamers and press to experience next-generation features like the DualSense wireless controller’s haptic feedback, or our immersive 3D Audio, in a socially-distanced world.

But starting tonight in some regions, players will begin turning on their PlayStation 5 consoles for the very first time and getting their first taste of these innovative features. It’s a heartening, and humbling, moment for all of us here at Sony Interactive Entertainment.

While the launch begins tonight in North America, Japan, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, and South Korea – this is just the first step in our global rollout. PS5 will expand to the rest of the world on November 19, and I can’t wait until everyone can get their hands on it.

PS5 represents a true generational leap, and the games you will experience over the coming years are sure to change gaming forever. The ultra-high speed SSD alone will revolutionize how games are developed and played, not to mention the increased fidelity and performance many PS5 games offer. And then there is, of course, the DualSense wireless controller.

It’s an exciting time, and we’re so grateful that you’re here with us. Thank you for trusting us and for being so patient this year. We created PS5 for you and you have been the center of our strategy since Ken Kutaragi envisioned the very first PlayStation.

Today, I just wanted to simply say: thank you. Thank you, and here’s to the dawn of a new generation of gaming.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/11/11/the-dawn-of-a-new-generation-ps5-is-almost-here/#sf239889708

Last edited:
Back