Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
jeeze if the dev tools are coming in this hot Microsoft should have delayed the console tbh, first impressions are formed now and its going to be hard to shake the perception that series S is shit and series x is worse than ps5 once the dev tools improve.

That's kinda what Capcom did with DMC5, but managed to almost completely f'k up on PS5 at least :runaway:

Capcom's issue's are more grounded in RE engine's pipeline design and the overhead cost associated to poorly optimized post-processing effects. Once they resolve some key issues *cough* screen space reflection and sub-surface scattering *cough* within the RE engine, then various resolution and performance options shouldn't be much of a problem.

Spilit memory and lower clock CPU must be messing up more than expected.
It can be many things.

Split memory, where sudden spike of required VRAM goes above 10GB and 336GB/s is too little (a bit hard to believe).

ROP limited, basically PS5 pixel fillrate is 25% higher and internal caches are proportionally faster duo to memory (still hard to believem XSX is still strong here).

Devs using programmable geometry on PS5, but not on XSX (Cerny mentioned this can be tapped into or they can run it as normal GPU, dev kits being late would result in problems here).

Dev kits being late and low level access with GDK being worse then PS5 (makes alot of sense).

Might be all of the above, but Sony must be licking their chops at all these upcoming face offs. :)

All i see is, folks being very negative towards the xss.
XSS is least of their worry. Its 1080-1440p low end machine that will be dumped to 30fps if big consoles struggle and people buying it know what they are getting. In fact, this is MS saving grace for now since its pretty much a must have if you have PS5 and their 1st party starts to deliver.

The guys at Giantbomb also mentioned that Watch Dogs and No Man's Sky seem to run better on PS5 as well, I wonder how long until the tools get up to speed.

At lower resolutions, the triangle sizes get smaller too, and PS5 may still have an advantage there by default. Still, not a good look for MS with what appears to be a growing trend. o_O

Yeah, across developers, engines, genres we're seeing the same thing. It's the dips in performance that really stand out to me. Everyone seems to be having this problem.

Even if entirely front end limited there just isn't that kind of hardware difference to cause such large drops relative to PS5. Unless the XSX is.... throttling :p

But seriously, I think it's because everyone is working with the same under baked development environment. I think there's going to be months of this.

Whatever it is I surely hope MS is working hard on it. I know, I feel a bit bad for whatever teams now have a huge commitment to deliver, fast and with quality.. but they are our only hope :D
The faceoffs can't continue like this for MS own sake.
Meanwhile I will rocking my vanilla PS4 and XBOX SADE as my shop told me they have some good news, I will get the consoles sometime in 2021.. :D

Did the development environment changes that happened with Xbox happen to both Xbox One and Xbox Series dev environments.... or Xbox Series only?

Perhaps the release SDK is not very good for the XSX, I don't see why it'd be underperforming by that much in what looks like a GPU bound scenario.

Only if shader limited. I expect PS5 to really be close even after tools from MS get better.
Because Sony will not optimised their firmware and improve their tools as well? Job done, Sony's dev tools team. You can go home, seeya for PlayStation 6. :yes:

#MissionAccomplished

Did the development environment changes that happened with Xbox happen to both Xbox One and Xbox Series dev environments.... or Xbox Series only?
Its a big change yes.
Because Sony will not optimised their firmware and improve their tools as well? Job done, Sony's dev tools team. You can go home, seeya for PlayStation 6. :yes:

#MissionAccomplished
Yes, that is exactly what I said and MS and Sony are in exact same position with their tools. Yes.

You can continue to use XDK (old DevKit iterated on from 2012) to produce Xbox One family titles and have ability to know if you're running on Xbox Series X or S hardware. However, you can not take advantage of new APIs or Hardware features. I believe Sea of Thieves is still operating on the XDK. This would allow for higher resolutions or framerate options, but the title is still operating in "Backwards Compatibility" mode. This can be seen in the Game Info section for each title. I think this is called something like "XDKAware", but I could easily be off on the name.

You can switch over to use GDK to produce Xbox One, Xbox Series, PC, and xCloud titles and have access to the new APIs and Hardware features.

Series consoles / PC only (edit can do xbox one gen too)

seeing that the pc version of valhalla isn't super well optimized too supports the idea that the GDK isn't nearly done enough yet, the GDK version is for xbox series consoles and PC

The guys at Giantbomb also mentioned that Watch Dogs and No Man's Sky seem to run better on PS5 as well, I wonder how long until the tools get up to speed.

One thing that might not help in the short term is that MS are building for cross gen (so 4 consoles), cloud, and PC to boot. That's probably going to complicate and slow down the task of getting things up to par. And then devs have to get up to speed with the changes and spend time with the hardware profiling and stuff.

Things might be a bit rough on the XSX side for a while.

#MissionAccomplished
There are obviously demising returns between "clearly not performing properly" and "perfect". Unless there's some huge unaccounted for factor, the xbox team can expect a lot more upside on tool optimization, because they're well below an adequate quality level right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back