Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

The stock numbers were 11500 disc compared to 87 discless, so it doesn't seem like Sony would phase out the disc options.
I don't know what countries people live in but in the UK, retail tell Sony what stock they want and Sony confirm if they have availability. Retailers, who sell discs, not wanting to stock many PS5DE units?

Colour me shocked. :nope: PS5DE seems plenty available in the UK. I don't know anybody who didn't get the model they wanted, only people who couldn't get anything.

I wonder if Sony is just more focused on assembling disk PS5s because they learned they'd have a lot more demand for it, and a slightly underestimated volume of digital PS5 demand is just making them put the disc models inside digital model boxes.
Indeed. The initial allocations are always going to be guesswork. If Sony anticipated lower demand for PS5DE they would have produced less of these. When they first approach retailers with their agreed launch allocations, Sony are providing these numbers, i.e. telling each retailer how much they can have of each unit.

Then what happens is retailers open pre-orders based on what numbers of consoles they have. This is to ensure if you have a pre-order, you definitely have a console. It's only at this stage that retailers have an official mechanics to capture demand, vis-a-vis PS5 vs PS5DE. At this point (I guess September) is when retailers can go back to Sony and inform them of pre-order demand for each model and give Sony a period to adjust the balance.

It's be interesting to find out what's going on with these PS5DE retail packages containing PS5 consoles. Was this intentional by Sony, or did the wrong box sleeve just go on the box? I think they're otherwise identical physically, perhaps a minor different in weight that may not be picked up by a Q&A weight check (designed to check there is actually hardware in the box!)

Allegedly also differences in specs on the PSU between PS5 and PS5 DE. I haven't seen actual teardown deltas between the two official models. If they are indeed PSU differences, that might be another way to sort out this Sony Land of Confusion. We'd need those getting PS5 inside of PS5DE boxes to do a closer examination.

Allegedly also differences in specs on the PSU between PS5 and PS5 DE. I haven't seen actual teardown deltas between the two official models. If they are indeed PSU differences, that might be another way to sort out this Sony Land of Confusion. We'd need those getting PS5 inside of PS5DE boxes to do a closer examination.

I can well believe there is a different in the PSU, some 4K Blu-ray drives spinning at full speed can pull ~40w. But I honest think it's grossly disingenuous to take one retailer allocation metric and posit it like that disproportionate balance is representative of Sony's entire stock. That's Trump-level conspiracy/rumour bullshit.

I do not believe you can extrapolate anything from the sold ratios, unless they do not sell out.
I expect that if you want a DE you will buy the disc one if they are out of DE and vice versa.
I was not able to order a DE even though it was my preferred choice.

I still belive that Sony is losing to much money on DE so that they intentionally made it scarce. Aka marketing price tool, from 399

Last edited:
Got an email saying mine will be waiting for me tomorow or the day after in the store near me (it left their main warehouse few hours ago). So maybe I'll have the greenlight tomorrow... would be nice (I live in France so the launch is tomorrow).

Got an email saying mine will be waiting for me tomorow or the day after in the store near me (it left their main warehouse few hours ago). So maybe I'll have the greenlight tomorrow... would be nice (I live in France so the launch is tomorrow).

In sweden, most shops list the PS5 available as of january 2021.

Just got a message with my PS5 trackingnumber, should arrive tomorrow, yay.

I pre-ordered back in April, when the store put in a placeholder price. A friend that put in a pre-order a couple of days later, got a message that said he would get it sometime in May 2021.

Rootax where did you place your order? I am getting my through komplett.no here in Norway.

I just got the email to say that mine has been shipped and will be here tomorrow. Now to do some industrial re-enforcing of the TV stand. I have a few RSJ's knocking around :D

Back