AMD Radeon RDNA2 Navi (RX 6500, 6600, 6700, 6800, 6900 XT)

It is more curios. Navi 21 has 8 Scanconverter when you look at driver statment that means 8 SEs but only 4 ACE....

Developers will decide that, not Intel or Nvidia. It's just shader code after all just like Nvidia's HBAO.
That's always the case. Though I imagine some optimizations will require access to features on the hardware, ie ampere's motion blur hardware.

Edit: Clarification

Last edited:

Two interesting quotes from that single post:

FrgMstr said:
AMD MBA cards will be in short supply up front. However, where you saw NV front-load almost all its cards, AMD is backloading. Once AIB cards hit, you will see 5 to 7 times the inventory released than what NV has shipped total in NA at this time. AMD will be heavily back-loaded into the channel. AMD is shipping ASIC BOM kits nearly daily to AIBs at this point and it will continue to happen throughout Q4. There will be a decent supply through Q4.

So day-one stock will be low, but replenishment will be steady. I believe videocardz got about the same info where retailers are expecting more stock by the end of the day tomorrow.
This is in stark contrast to nvidia who got all retailers to dry for at least a week IIRC.

FrgMstr said:
Now let me say this again as it is worth hearing. There is no way that when AMD was doing its projections for supply, that it could have even fathomed that NVIDIA would totally shit the bed on 3080/90 supply for the quarter, effectively abandoning the $500 to $1000 GPU TAM. NVIDIA has left such a gaping hole in the market that there is no way it can be filled currently. From my information and analysis, AMD projected to grow its portion of the TAM and will have inventory to do that. The sad fact is that NV simply abandoned its customer in that market and there is no possible way for AMD to fill the void.
Aaand despite the steady replenishment, stock will still be pretty bad because people who couldn't get a RTX 30 are now potential customers to AMD's RX 6800.

Yeah I don't get this. I thought it was confirmed that Navi21 had 4 shader engines so should be 8 ACEs in total. Only 1 ACE per SE now? 10 WGPs per ACE??
ACEs are front end processors without a fixed relationship with shader engines. The number of ACEs per shader engine has varied over GCN's lifetime. The PS4 had 8 for 2, Hawaii had 8 for 4, Fury had 4 for 4, APUs have had 1/2 for 1, etc.
I haven't seen restrictions in the number of CUs that could be addressed by an ACE in the past. Given how long it took for decent adoption of asynchronous compute, getting one queue to be used would be a likely minimum and it's not like those scenarios couldn't access all CUs. Other marketing for things like rapid response queues seemed to show allocations that spanned shader engines as well.

Doesn't HWS supplant ACE? Or it's another module that provides more finely-controllable use of async compute?

Back