Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
My video for the consoles is uploading right now - and my internet upload connection is horrible today! So later tonight it should go live.
It will show a bit I think how the DRS on consoles (both of them) is not exactly working like one wants like this!

I don't know if it is many people uploading video but youtube is slow and I see many youtuber complaints about upload speed.

Is 'DRS' = Dynamic Resolution Scaling?

If feel like I only started seeing this acronym in the last week or so and now it's used constantly...

Is 'DRS' = Dynamic Resolution Scaling?

If feel like I only started seeing this acronym in the last week or so and now it's used constantly...

Ha, yes although it was a thing quite a bit last gen it seems to be the de-facto standard of this generation. I see that as a good thing though. I hope the technology matures on PC as it doesn't seem to work as well as on consoles right now. In combination DLSS/MLSS and VRS there are enormous performance benefits to be had.

p.s. "DRS"... not to be confused with DSR (nvidia's super resolution tech). Damn these acronyms are confusing!

Demon's Souls Remake on PlayStation 5: The Digital Foundry Tech Review

Love the consistency in lighting/shadowing.

Would love to see an art book for the game. It's incredibly well wrought and directed.

Once again, the amount of geometry and tessellation that's being used is downright amazing. I still can't believe this is actually a launch title... well done Sony and Bluepoint.

Once again, the amount of geometry and tessellation that's being used is downright amazing. I still can't believe this is actually a launch title... well done Sony and Bluepoint.

Would love to see an art book for the game. It's incredibly well wrought and directed.

I've been praising Tessellation for a long time in games like Crysis 2, SW Battlefront 2015, The Division, Ghost Recon etc. and I was always told that it would suck. Now suddenly it's good when consoles are using it by adding more geometry detail.

Last edited:
I've been praising Tessellation for a long time in games like Crysis 2, Battlefront 2015, The Division, Ghost Recon etc. and I was always told that it would suck. Now suddenly it's good when consoles are using it by adding more geometry detail?

Tesselation is the base of the art not just something add on top of art as an optionnal step. This is very important from a visual point of view and it helps the artist to go faster and improve the workflow but it is coupled with a great fully dynamic GI lighting system*and shadows system coupling shadow maps, capsule shadows and SSDO. Without the ligthing and shadow system it will not be so stunning.

And the dynamic tesselation is part of the LOD system too.

The visual qualities are exactly the same than Unreal Engine 5 demo but with different rendering method without tesselation and much less polygons here.

Tons of geometry, very high res texture and a realtime and global illumination system probably will define what we will see later in the generation on Xbox Series X|S, PS5 and by extension PC(best version as always). All made possible because of added power on CPU and GPU side compared to last generation console and the SSD fast streaming system define as the minimum requirement in a few years.

* Looks like RTXGI but based on froxel with probes updated depending of frustrum.

Last edited:
I've been praising Tessellation for a long time in games like Crysis 2, Battlefront 2015, The Division, Ghost Recon etc. and I was always told that it would suck. Now suddenly it's good when consoles are using it by adding more geometry detail?

Um, what? Is this a PC versus console thing? Because, I'm 100% sure, I haven't said anything bad about PC games using tessellation. Because right now, your reply seems like a overreaction for a warranted praise on Bluepoint's accomplishment.

Reactions: snc
Um, what? Is this a PC versus console thing? Because, I'm 100% sure, I haven't said anything bad about PC games using tessellation. Because right now, your reply seems like a overreaction for a warranted praise on Bluepoint's accomplishment.

I do not mean this in relation to you but in general. Now the people are not supposed to come and praise the level of detail while they used to knock the benefits of Tesselation down in other games.

Tesselation is the base of the art not just something add on top of art as an optionnal step. This is very important from a visual point of view and it helps the artist to go faster and improve the workflow but it is coupled with a great fully dynamic GI lighing system*and shadows system coupling shadow maps, capsule and SSDO. Without the ligthing system it will not be so stunning.

And the dynamic tesselation is part of the LOD system too.

The game quality are exactly the same than Unreal Engine 5 demo but with different rendering method without tesselation and much less polygons here.

Tons of geometry, very high res texture and a realtime and global illumination system probably will define what we will see later in the generation on Xbox Series X|S, PS5 and by extension PC. All made possible because of added power compared to last generation console and the SSD fast streaming system.

* Looks like RTXGI but based on froxel with probes updated depending of frustrum.

I did not claim that the game would not look excellent. Almost everything fits together perfectly here.

I was referring mainly to Tessellation. I'm annoyed by many games that don't use Tessellation because they usually have simple 2D surfaces instead. But there are more and more games that also using more geometry. Nevertheless, These method currently does not come close to the results with Tessellation.

Last edited:
I do not mean this in relation to you but in general. Now the people are not supposed to come and praise the level of detail, while they used to knock it down in other games.

I did not claim that the game would not look excellent. Yes, and here almost everything fits together perfectly.

I was referring mainly to tessellation. I'm annoyed by many games that don't use tessellation because they usually have simple 2D surfaces instead. But there are more and more games that also use much more geometry. Nevertheless, this currently does not come close to the results with tessellation.

Unreal Engine 5 Nanite current implementation doesn't use tesselation and this is impressive too.

Which looked excellent but let's see when it will be seen in playable games. In my estimation it also consumes more hard drive memory. Certainly there will be methods to reduce hard drive consumption.

Which looked excellent but let's see when it will be seen in playable games. In my estimation it also consumes more hard drive memory. Certainly there will be methods to reduce hard drive consumption.

Tesselation support is in Epic roadmap for the engine.

I've been praising Tessellation for a long time in games like Crysis 2, SW Battlefront 2015, The Division, Ghost Recon etc. and I was always told that it would suck. Now suddenly it's good when consoles are using it by adding more geometry detail.
Outside of the Battlefield/Battlefront games it did not produce good results. That’s why people didn't care for it.

Not sure I understand the hype about tessellation here -- it's a very common visual technique, it's not really anything special and it works great. I didn't get a chance to watch the whole video yet, is there something unique about the DS implementation?

(also, this is my first post here on beyond3d, hi!)

Tessellation looks increasingly better the higher the poly count, and this is basically why DS looks much better than what we have been accustomed to on last gen consoles. So weird to say last gen now when talking about PS4!

Outside of the Battlefield/Battlefront games it did not produce good results. That’s why people didn't care for it.

Sure, you know every game on PC and they all have a terrible Tesselation implementation. Or one just likes unrealistic 2d ground like in Uncharted 4.

Witz Tesselation you have 3d mud after 3d mud after 3d mud after 3d rock after 3d rock while in non Tesselation game like Uncharted 4 the whole surface in a wide area would mostly be just 2d with a few placed stones.

breakpoint.jpg
breakpoint_2.jpg

Last edited:
Is that one of the Ubi Ghost Recon titles? Ya not a fan at all of Ubisoft's "swimming floor" implementation of tessellation in its games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back