Demon's Souls Remake [PS5]

specially when you look at the walls and the top of the tunnel, it doesn't look like true stone and bricks, it looks like a heavily displaced polygonal surface with a weirdly wrapped texture
Yes that looks like some bad parallax mapping, but if you look at other screenshots you can see the bricks are actually modelled.
No idea of the ratios of either as I havent seen the game in the flesh, but its obviously more detailed than any other existing game polygon wise.

That, and the fact that many times I see objects going through other objects
Every 'normal'(*) game has mesh clipping theres no way around this and even if you made it so theres no clipping, the gameplay would most likely suffer, i.e. realism != more fun.

I do agree with what you're saying about very high res making it look worse, have you noticed when ppl make these small gif's of a game in motion they usually look much better than the actual high res screenshots

(*)i.e. not tetris etc

You shouldn't live in fear of talking about your opinions!!

That screenshot, when looking at it from upclose does look a bit strange (the forum really magnifies that shot!), but on my 4K TV the game looks mesmerising, well the trailer does, I'll let you know how I feel when I'm actually playing it in a couple of days!

If you want to look good, try to watch the screenshot on your tv ;)

@chris1515 , @London Geezer , @zed , yeah, I know, I know... I understand, I agree it looks great, I'm just not blown away by it and I'd like to expect other things as next-gen, like the things I said about better collisions, etc., but yes, I do understand that some choices had to be made for X reasons.

I only hope we can see a higher fidelity in other aspects rather than just resolution, FPS and a marginally better lighting system/reflections.

@chris1515 , @London Geezer , @zed , yeah, I know, I know... I understand, I agree it looks great, I'm just not blown away by it and I'd like to expect other things as next-gen, like the things I said about better collisions, etc., but yes, I do understand that some choices had to be made for X reasons.

I only hope we can see a higher fidelity in other aspects rather than just resolution, FPS and a marginally better lighting system/reflections.
I find the lighting system to be the best thing in this game. In motion, it really has a huge impact, once you see all those light sources, all casting shadows.

Clipping... I don't think we'll ever fully get out of that one!!

The lighting system is not marginally better, it is fully dynamic GI. This is a huge step, if we compare to a game like TLOU2 where it is moslty baked, it help everything to be more dynamic and to make moving object and character more integrated into the world.

The strengh of the game is the quality of assets polygon and texture and the unified dynamic lighting model. On consoles I don't count Kingdom Come Deliverance.

There are two games with dynamic GI on current generation console, it is Watchdog Legions and Demon's souls remake. Tomorrow it will be current gen console. ;)

Last gen we had The tomorrow Children only with a full dynamic GI system and the geometry was pretty simple.

EDIT: the quality of the game are the same than Unreal Engine 5.

Last edited:
Why did you?!

Plain stupidity. The end of the year it is usually very demanding at work plus I've recently signed to a lot of sporting activities so I though it was better to focus on upgrading my PC as I wasn't going to have much time to play games. I'll probably won't get one until next year although I received the other day a notification from Amazon saying new consoles will be available by the end of the week.

Clipping... I don't think we'll ever fully get out of that one!!
I don't want to lose my faith on that. :cry: I can't believe that after all these generations and the tremendous leap in power we still can't achieve it. At this point in time, I think it's more of a "lack of attention to detail"-issue rather than a technical impossibility.

The lighting system is not marginally better, it is fully dynamic GI. This is a huge step, if we compare to a game like TLOU2 where it is moslty baked, it help everything to be more dynamic and to make moving object and character more integrated into the world.

The strengh of the game is the quality of assets polygon and texture and the unified dynamic lighting model. On consoles I don't count Kingdom Come Deliverance.

There are two games with dynamic GI on current generation console, it is Watchdog Legions and Demon's souls remake. Tomorrow it will be current gen console. ;)

Last gen we had The tomorrow Children only with a full dynamic GI system and the geometry was pretty simple.

EDIT: the quality of the game are the same than Unreal Engine 5.
I find the lighting system to be the best thing in this game. In motion, it really has a huge impact, once you see all those light sources, all casting shadows.
Yes, that's true (regarding lighting). It's just that the previous hacks and combinations of baked+dynamic lights could be really good looking, so many times the difference is not that noticeable, unless we have a full GI system with lots of light bounces, etc., like the one seen in Minecraft's RT solution. I remind many of you that I've been an RTRT supporter since day one, so yes, I'm pretty excited about RTGI and all that stuff.

I don't want to lose my faith on that. :cry: I can't believe that after all these generations and the tremendous leap in power we still can't achieve it. At this point in time, I think it's more of a "lack of attention to detail"-issue rather than a technical impossibility.

I'm fairly sure that a completely perfect collision system where nothing clips (even hair and cloth) would actually require a lot of computational power, which is why we're nowhere near achieving this, but maybe the more technically minded posters on here could enlighten us?

Yes, that's true (regarding lighting). It's just that the previous hacks and combinations of baked+dynamic lights could be really good looking, so many times the difference is not that noticeable, unless we have a full GI system with lots of light bounces, etc., like the one seen in Minecraft's RT solution. I remind many of you that I've been an RTRT supporter since day one, so yes, I'm pretty excited about RTGI and all that stuff.
To me, Minecraft RT looks rubbish, how weird is that? I'm with you on the RTRT train but as far as Minecraft, while some of the effects look great, I find the whole thing completely underwhelming. :)

I'm fairly sure that a completely perfect collision system where nothing clips (even hair and cloth) would actually require a lot of computational power, which is why we're nowhere near achieving this, but maybe the more technically minded posters on here could enlighten us?
Well, of course a global collision simulation would be ultrataxing, but I'm talking about the most noticeable things, like limbs clipping through walls, furniture, etc., weapons clipping through characters, etc. I don't mind about grass blades clipping through other grass blades, at the moment. :LOL:

To me, Minecraft RT looks rubbish
How so? :oops: I understand that it may look weird, since the world is made of blocks and it doesn't look as we all knew it in the first place, but I'm amazed at the tech and the results. That really wowed me.

How so? :oops: I understand that it may look weird, since the world is made of blocks and it doesn't look as we all knew it in the first place, but I'm amazed at the tech and the results. That really wowed me.
I don't know, I really wanted to love it and be blown away by it but it just didn't happen. It still looks gamey and fake, which is not what I expected out of a totally path traced visual *shrug*

oof, playing magician you don't get those cool parry executions.
just wrapped up armored spider. Mage is getting easier for me since getting soul arrow.

Heck, even I haven't pre-ordered it yet, cause I'm not sure I'm ready for a new Souls game so close to that absolute nightmare that was getting the Platinum on DS3

Back