Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

It is probably a technical limitation. When the controller connects to the console it is likely using something non standard over bluetooth. I believe we still can't get high quality audio output and voice input at the same time using standard profile or whatever. Of course there is also latency issue. Yes, you can use aptx, but aptx is proprietary. I believe only devices with qualcomm (including csr) use aptx. It seems Sony is using something from NXP. I don't think LDAC latency (at least using standard implementation) is low enough.
USB dongles allow for that, and it would be nice if Sony simply included whatever is in those silly USB dongles in the console itself. I think that's the real question.

USB dongles allow for that, and it would be nice if Sony simply included whatever is in those silly USB dongles in the console itself. I think that's the real question.
Sony also could one more BT chip.

Its like, what, 1 dollar at retail? At bulk probably only cents.

Btw my mediatek phone supports APTX LL. So its not exclusive to Qualcomm chip. But probably more about licensing agreement

Btw my mediatek phone supports APTX LL. So its not exclusive to Qualcomm chip. But probably more about licensing agreement
That's what I always thought. Those USB dongles can't be that expensive, and what would it really cost to simply include that on the console itself?

What needs to happen is for bluetooth sig to have a standard that allows for high quality audio output and audio input/mic at the same time. That needs to happen first before anything else. It is so stupid that they don't have this already.

Also yes, qualcomm do license their codec. But it is still proprietary and it also needs some hardware support. We don't know if NXP chip can support aptx. So there is licensing issue and there is also technical issue. Even some qualcomm hardware can support aptx but can't support aptx ll.

Any idea why sony keeps refusing to support Bluetooth headphone audio? Maybe via LDAC or APTX-LL?

dunno with PS5, but on PS4, it use Bluetooth audio to deliver lag-free audio to gamepad if you plug wired headphone to gamepad. This Bluetooth audio mode only available when DS4 is in PS4 mode (pair by connecting USB cable to PS4), and not available when its on PC mode (holding PS logo and share until LED blinks)

EDIT: source https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps4/DS4-BT

EDIT: i mean reasons other than business reason, as sony probably have tidy profit margin from PlayStation branded headphones.

but then it also supports any other USB wireless audio headphone... and some sony headphones also already supports LDAC...
PS4 controllers change my audio output every time I plug them into my laptop. Although, i guess that's wired, I rarely test them wirelessly. And I don't know if I've ever plugged headphones in to make sure audio is actually going through the controller. But I do know that it's annoying to have a video get essentially muted when I'm testing PS4 controllers on PC.

PS4 controllers change my audio output every time I plug them into my laptop. Although, i guess that's wired, I rarely test them wirelessly. And I don't know if I've ever plugged headphones in to make sure audio is actually going through the controller. But I do know that it's annoying to have a video get essentially muted when I'm testing PS4 controllers on PC.

Plugged via USB, the audio jack works for pc.

860MB system patch today. No notes on it however.

Yes i got that one too, its a firmware update, not a system patch (or did you mean that?).
Not much notes but says versions 20.02, and should provide system performance increases. Anyway, didnt notice any difference. Update went quick though, 860mb is nothing these days in special on a 1Gb/s connection.

Any idea why sony keeps refusing to support Bluetooth headphone audio? Maybe via LDAC or APTX-LL?

dunno with PS5, but on PS4, it use Bluetooth audio to deliver lag-free audio to gamepad if you plug wired headphone to gamepad. This Bluetooth audio mode only available when DS4 is in PS4 mode (pair by connecting USB cable to PS4), and not available when its on PC mode (holding PS logo and share until LED blinks)

Latency on the Bluettoth SBC or LDAC codecs doesn't depend on the source. Since neither of those standards require any kind of timing controls on both ends, the latency depends mostly on the reproduction device.
Despite this, the problem is that people experiencing latency problems would most likely put the fault on Sony, which is something they want to avoid.

That's why you can get bluetooth audio from the DS4 / DSense gamepads (Sony can tweak the BT stack on their controllers) but not from every random bluetooth headphone.

You can just buy a creative BT-W2 or BT-W3 that allows for any bluetooth headphone to just work (it tricks the console into thinking it's a standard USB audio card), but how much latency you get depends on your headphones.

As for APTX-LL, I agree that having it on the console would be great, though I don't know if the BT stack allows for mandating a certain codec for the connection to happen. It could be that the standard is built to let an A2DP+SBC connection happen, and only then it can change the codec to a more appropriate one. It may not just be a licensing issue.

Yes i got that one too, its a firmware update, not a system patch (or did you mean that?).
Not much notes but says versions 20.02, and should provide system performance increases. Anyway, didnt notice any difference. Update went quick though, 860mb is nothing these days in special on a 1Gb/s connection.

Nice! So that's means Sony finally updated their horrendously slow download manager that was on ps3 and PS4

Nice! So that's means Sony finally updated their horrendously slow download manager that was on ps3 and PS4

No idea about the PS3, but the PS4 wasnt that bad (connected with rj45). CPU and HDD/SSD play a role too. The PS5 downloading faster shouldnt come as a surprise :p FW updates never have been a problem on PS4 either.

Try downloading a fresh steam game, it attacks my zen2 CPU to over 60 procent somehow on all cores, when downloading at full speeds. The PS4 with its jaguar cpu and mechanical hdd never had a chance with high speed downloads i assume.

No idea about the PS3, but the PS4 wasnt that bad (connected with rj45). CPU and HDD/SSD play a role too. The PS5 downloading faster shouldnt come as a surprise :p FW updates never have been a problem on PS4 either.

Try downloading a fresh steam game, it attacks my zen2 CPU to over 60 procent somehow on all cores, when downloading at full speeds. The PS4 with its jaguar cpu and mechanical hdd never had a chance with high speed downloads i assume.

I confirm my downloading speed was limited by the HDD.

Can someone trying the rest mode 'arrgh I've had a whoopsie, must rebuild database' with the new firmware. Have they fixed that?

I feel sorry for the guy who will open the Standard Edition box and find the diskless in
I've seen more than one report claiming that people ordering the digital version got the disk one, but I haven't seen anyone complaining about the opposite.

I wonder if Sony is just more focused on assembling disk PS5s because they learned they'd have a lot more demand for it, and a slightly underestimated volume of digital PS5 demand is just making them put the disc models inside digital model boxes.

Sure they lose (more) money by doing that, but at least they don't face an online rage mob of people wanting a digital version and having to wait 5 months to get it.

Demand of disc ver is good to me

I want a ps5 slim with disc when i get a ps5. If discless does too good they may try and phase out disc options

Demand of disc ver is good to me

I want a ps5 slim with disc when i get a ps5. If discless does too good they may try and phase out disc options

Looking at the numbers we saw for that european retailer (>1000 disc vs. ~50 digital), I don't think there's any reason to worry Sony will be phasing out the disc version this gen, and maybe not even the next gen for that matter.

Back