Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, after months of:

• “PS5 is really a 9TF console or even lower because frequencies will drop most of the time”
  • “The difference is 20% at best but probably much higher than that”
  • “Sony upclocked the PS5 after panicking”
  • “Multiplat games will run at 4k60 on XBX and at 1440p30 on PS5”
It turns out that they were actually trolling and hadn’t got a clue.

While I agree that it was a certain negative PS5 scenario driven by some, but these types of post really don't help further the conversation on the unique differences between these systems. One thing I would like to see stop, are the ridiculous comments that PS5 is "punching above its weight." The PS5 architecture was built to do what it was suppose to do, just like XBSX. There is reason why both boxes are $499, having similar architectures.

Anyhow, let's just leave old beefs and/or arguments in the past.

Find it. You’ve taken my words out of context. Pretty sure I was speaking about anomalous situations for frame rate cutoffs which has nothing to do with hardware performance. In the same post I spoke that there will be situations that PS5 will outperform XSX and on the extreme other setup such an event could happen.

There are far too many regulars here that converse with me to have not called me out on that.

I most certainly did not say 1440p30 vs 4K60 in that post either. That’s a 400% increase. And I most certainly did not say all multiplats.

Find the post and read it again and following conversation of that and you’ll see you’re wrong.

I'm not picking any sides here, but it amused me too much to not point it out, when I read your post that says, essentially "I never made any post saying such things, but in the post where I didn't say that, I also said some other stuff."

I'm not picking any sides here, but it amused me too much to not point it out, when I read your post that says, essentially "I never made any post saying such things, but in the post where I didn't say that, I also said some other stuff."
I was fairly positive he was referring to me. Because I made the post about fringe cases where it could be 4k30 to 1440p30.

but I also know damn well I didn’t write 4k60 to 1440p30 considering I recalled some of the people I needed to reply to about it. So I made the comment to give him some wiggle room in case he wanted to go back and check post history to ensure he was right before moving forward.

Both PS5 and XBSX using Micron's 14Gb/s RAM,
but the speed grade mark for XBSX's is -14 and PS5 one is -14C.
I don't know what's the difference between them.

Huh, interesting. I wonder if the PS5's is supposed to be able to tolerate higher temperatures, given its proximity to a much hotter APU?

Or is it perhaps something a little more exciting, such as being able to overclock to some degree?

I was fairly positive he was referring to me. Because I made the post about fringe cases where it could be 4k30 to 1440p30.

but I also know damn well I didn’t write 4k60 to 1440p30 considering I recalled some of the people I needed to reply to about it. So I made the comment to give him some wiggle room in case he wanted to go back and check post history to ensure he was right before moving forward.

Fair enough. Like I said, I'm not picking sides. I don't care for the whole console wars flimflam, I just find discussions interesting when they're about engineering choices.

But given the context, the way your post was phrased made me chuckle, that's all.

Huh, interesting. I wonder if the PS5's is supposed to be able to tolerate higher temperatures, given its proximity to a much hotter APU?

Or is it perhaps something a little more exciting, such as being able to overclock to some degree?

Fair enough. Like I said, I'm not picking sides. I don't care for the whole console wars flimflam, I just find discussions interesting when they're about engineering choices.

But given the context, the way your post was phrased made me chuckle, that's all.
Me 2.
I will post from the data that is available to me; and if the data suggests that I’m wrong I’ll move positions to match the data that is available. It’s not a particular goal I have to prove that a system is inferior to another and to keep harping on it forever. Sometimes I do write unfair posts because I am privy to information and I am trying to reach known facts to get to the information I have. Is something missing? I dunno, so I put something out there. I recognize that can come out wrong. So yea I need to be careful there on how I position those posts. I haven’t had to back track edit yet by revealing too much by accident cough.

People ask me what console to buy; unless there is some reason I have always recommended PlayStation. I bought my own ps5 as well. Despite what I’ve written on the system, that didn’t stop me from purchasing it; and I doubt I convinced anyone here to purchase an Xbox, so in the grand scheme of things PS fans here won if that’s the way people want to look at it.

I don't think it's about temperatures (both should work between 0°C and 95°C). It's the end of the serials in Micron GDDR6 ex: 14:B ou 14:C

https://www.micron.com/products/ultra-bandwidth-solutions/gddr6/part-catalog/mt61k512m32kpa-14

EDIT: The last letter is the revision.

While I agree that it was a certain negative PS5 scenario driven by some, but these types of post really don't help further the conversation on the unique differences between these systems. One thing I would like to see stop, are the ridiculous comments that PS5 is "punching above its weight." The PS5 architecture was built to do what it was suppose to do, just like XBSX. There is reason why both boxes are $499, having similar architectures.

Anyhow, let's just leave old beefs and/or arguments in the past.
Why? Because it fits your belief? How dare anyone suggest something you can’t believe?

The reality is likely not that PS5 is punching above its weight, but it may well be doing just that depending on the expectations for the given hardware.

I know plenty that didn’t expect this level of performance so early on (largely down to fake concern) so in that scenario it is punching above it’s weight.

That images comes from this teardown (4gamer.net). They state that there is no such GDDR6 part in the Micron catalogue:/

There's a choice between GDDR6 and GDDR6x.

Why? Because it fits your belief? How dare anyone suggest something you can’t believe?

The reality is likely not that PS5 is punching above its weight, but it may well be doing just that depending on the expectations for the given hardware.

I know plenty that didn’t expect this level of performance so early on (largely down to fake concern) so in that scenario it is punching above it’s weight.

Do you even know what the definition or concept behind "punching above one's weight?" The concept in general terms means, something or someone that has achieved and/or performed at a level that is considered outside their realm of talents, skillsets and/or abilities. This does not fit the PS5 when compared to XBSX. For almost a year now, developers have stated on many occasions both systems perform the same, very little differences between them. “Punching above one’s weight, would be XBSS coming relatively close to PS5/XBSX performance. So no, PS5 is performing at the level that it should be.

Last edited:
I think the lower Xbox performance is entirely down to software issues. We can see in benchmarks how the 5700xt is 2080 to 2080ti level in the latest games and the Series X outclasses that GPU in every metric. Once MS gets its act together I expect it to outperform PS5 in multiplatform games.

Do you even know what the definition or concept behind "punching above one's weight?" The concept in general terms means, something or someone that has achieved and/or performed at a level that is considered outside their realm of talents, skillsets and/or abilities. This does not fit the PS5 when compared to XBSX. For almost a year now, developers have stated on many occasions both systems perform the same, very little differences between them. “Punching above one’s weight, would be XBSS coming relatively close to PS5/XBSX performance. So no, PS5 is performing at the level that it should be.
I'm aware of the meaning and stand by my comment...

We've had 'reports' also stating PS5 struggles and there were plenty here that were expecting performance around 2060 levels based off the spec sheet. I read comment on this forum that the PS5 performance in AC:V is actually performing at around a 2080 level, so...

2060 expectation vs 2080 real world results? I'd call that punching above the expected weight...but I guess that's just me.

Last edited:
Im glad both machines are in the same ballpark. I expect as apis improve for series x to improve but i hope not by much. Its less fan wars if the two systems can compete on things other than raw number and who has more powerful box

Honestly, this should be what every conscious gamer / consumer should be advocating for.
Performance and feature parity is by far the best way to ensure that neither console is holding the other back when it comes to 3rd party games, and the discussion can revolve around quantity and quality of the content/games instead of dick hardware measuring contests.

I still can't get my head around the fact that some people were celebrating 8TF on the PS5 vs. 12TF on the SeriesX. It takes a whole new level of pettiness to feel happy that the videogame console they were never going to buy would be substantially slower than their predetermined console/brand.

I don't think it's about temperatures (both should work between 0°C and 95°C). It's the end of the serials in Micron GDDR6 ex: 14:B ou 14:C

https://www.micron.com/products/ultra-bandwidth-solutions/gddr6/part-catalog/mt61k512m32kpa-14

EDIT: The last letter is the revision.

The one inside PS5 is MT61K512M32KPA-14C:B
https://www.micron.com/support/tools-and-utilities/fbga?fbga=D9XKV#pnlFBGA
From FBGA code you can know its production date is 26th week of 2020

You can see Speed Grade Mark "-14C" in the PDF of Micron's numbering system
https://media-www.micron.com/-/medi...nts/products/part-numbering-guide/numdram.pdf

Honestly, this should be what every conscious gamer / consumer should be advocating for.
Performance and feature parity is by far the best way to ensure that neither console is holding the other back when it comes to 3rd party games, and the discussion can revolve around quantity and quality of the content/games instead of dick hardware measuring contests.

I still can't get my head around the fact that some people were celebrating 8TF on the PS5 vs. 12TF on the SeriesX. It takes a whole new level of pettiness to feel happy that the videogame console they were never going to buy would be substantially slower than their predetermined console/brand.
To think how much 'fun' could be had if we could be bothered to go back a quote all the BS fake concern crap we've had to put up with for so long. Github was right, but here we have XSX performing as low as the PS5 - that XSX is clearly very broken...if I were an Xbox fan or XSX owner right now I'd be burning it in protest. /s

Can you share a link from B3D with people celebrating 8TF machine after we got 12TF confirmed? Because I remember people being pretty damn happy with 9-10TF when 5700XT delivered Radeon 7 beating performance at 220W in 2019 (when we knew nothing about RDNA1/XSX).

There is weird sense here that some people are playing victims for some reason.

I'm aware of the meaning and stand by my comment...

We've had 'reports' also stating PS5 struggles and there were plenty here that were expecting performance around 2060 levels based off the spec sheet. I read comment on this forum that the PS5 performance in AC:V is actually performing at around a 2080 level, so...

2060 expectation vs 2080 real world results? I'd call that punching above the expected weight...but I guess that's just me.
We had those? Because 5700XT is pretty much matching 2070S, so I am not sure something like this happened either. Maybe you thought 2060-2060S performance in RT? This could still be the case for both consoles.

Can we at very least keep drive by posts such as these to a minimum? Sometimes I am not sure if we are referring to Twitter rant when talking om B3D or actual posts on here.

Last edited:
I don't know how people couldn't see the PS5 being an equal. You take a 5700 with RDNA 2 architectural changes then boost it to 2.2ghz then you have a really crazy GPU. I have only seen clocks boost that high on 5700s with the power limit soft mods and only then does it play tag with 2080s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back