Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Dual Sense battery like just sucks. Terrible. Full charge to zero in 1 hour of Astrobot. Unless my controller is defective, this is just awful.

Quoting myself, asI found the issue. Turns out my controller isn't charging as it should in the rest mode.

Here's the scenario: I was using the front USB port to charge the controller (like I used to on the PS4). I sat there watching the controller and it stopped charging after a minute in rest mode. I double checked the rest setting, they were correct. When I switched the charging cable to the rear USB port, the controller started charge again. Some googling revealed that others are seeing this as well. Looks like this could be a firmware bug of some sort that turns off the front USB when it shouldn't (I hope that's just it).

Worst I had on the PS4, was where I had to install the firmware again, mainly because its time consuming.
Weird stuff do happen when power goes out when in rest mode etc.
Well I live in a country that has constant power failures and I have had to rebuild the database but never had a failure that told me to report back to Sony. My luck I guess.

Hatsuhiro Harada of Bandai Namco said the GPU of PS5 is equal to 2080 level, CPU is equal to 3700X before optimization.

Equal to 2080/2070S, yeah maybe, probably ballpark there, atleast for normal rendering. A very good 2018 GPU for the tiime if you didnt want to spend on a 2080Ti or higher. Anyway, its probably better to compare it to RNDA2 gpus, a 10.2TF 6700/XT probably would be close.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-6700-xt.c3695

For the CPU, a 3700x is much higher clocked and probably has more cache, and most likely sustains higher clocks too, both are previous gen CPUs (zen2). Optimizations is another thing, but i'd guess those happen across all platforms.

On PS5's SSD, the fast loading shown today is just using the raw power of PS5's SSD hardware, it will be much faster after optimization.
It's a lot faster than PC if handled PS5's SSD properly.

Alot faster then what kind of SSD setup? Going by NVs claims, their solution was even faster. That is, if they were not lying ofcourse, but its not the topic for that. Optane is in a different leage alltogether, close to RAM in some cases.
Anyway, building a mid end pc for 500 dollars is going to be very hard if not impossible.

Well I live in a country that has constant power failures and I have had to rebuild the database but never had a failure that told me to report back to Sony. My luck I guess.

Maybe consider a UPS for home usage, atleast you'd be protecting some equipment for outages and unstable net power. I have one for my server, never have any power outages but it ensures extra security. You also ensure 'clean power' to your electronics and slight protection against lightning (forget about positive bolts).

Maybe consider a UPS for home usage, atleast you'd be protecting some equipment for outages and unstable net power. I have one for my server, never have any power outages but it ensures extra security. You also ensure 'clean power' to your electronics and slight protection against lightning (forget about positive bolts).

Not aware of any UPS that has support for a figure 8 power connector.

Oh so promising, hope developers see this and get inspired ... I can see how this would work if you’re walking into a disco or a cinema in a game [emoji16]

Day Gone at 60 fps

OK that looks extremely impressive. Amazing how far artistic talent can go in leveraging relatively weak 1.84 TF GCN hardware seven years old. Here's to hoping some of MS's 1P for next-gen show as much if not more of that type of artistic & technical wizardry. I think Ninja Theory are a lock on that front, The Coalition, Obsidian and possibly the Elder Scrolls teams too. And Playground & Turn 10. Some of the others are still curiosities for me, as it will come down to what genres and design templetes they decide to prioritize, not that those games won't be gorgeous in their own right.

In the same vain, very interested to see what Sony Bend does next, Polyphony is looking good, and SSM & Guerrilla are on-point. Insomniac really stepped up to the plate, and Japan Studio/Bluepoint (although the latter's not 1P...yet. I really think Sony should buy them. Similarly, MS should buy Asobo. Don't let these smaller-but-very-talented studios slip by if they're in the market of looking for a platform holder to call home).

Ironically the only studio I'm worried about on Sony's end is Naughty Dog; if the stories of them pissing off most of the game animators in the industry is true, not to mention some of the talent that's since left, I won't be surprised if ND isn't really Sony's marquee studio for next-gen. I think Guerrilla, SSM in particular have been itching to take that crown and this gen I think they and Insomniac will take it and share it among the three of them as Sony's new marquee studios for 1P visuals.

Btw there are interactive and online ups.

Online usually ridiculously expensive and you'll get clean electricity.

Interactive ups are different from one another. Some took too long to switch to battery, and may result in problems with electronics.

Dunno with PS4, but with PS4 pro it can work with interactive ups that's rather slow. Heck, I can unplug and plug the power cable while PS4 pro is on and it'll still be powered on. Really nice.

So if your new ups result in zero problem with some device but some other device have problem (e.g. TV blinks for a sec) the ups probably too slow (and/or your device is too sensitive)

When compared to your standard or typical PC motherboards the electrical tracers (traces) are usually not so tighty or well curated on the board. Just eyeballing PS5 MB, you can tell by their design philosophy everything had to be efficient... making sure all the ETs didn't have to traverse through odd curves or long-etched out patterns between the MB components. A very tighty design....

Consoles have several advantages over PC motherboards. First, they have no form factor standard to which they must conform that could make for non-ideal component placement. Second, their design cycle can be much longer, allowing for more hand-optimization and design revisions to get it perfect.

Consoles have several advantages over PC motherboards. First, they have no form factor standard to which they must conform that could make for non-ideal component placement. Second, their design cycle can be much longer, allowing for more hand-optimization and design revisions to get it perfect.

Well yes, there was never no disagreement about that.

Then it depends also on what kind of MB you get. I have seen some of EVGA's that truly stand out in that regard, more so then any console to date.

Apart from actual shell design (which is IMO revolting) and cooling solution (still think MS packaged it better), system wise, PS5 is probably best designed console I have seen.

The way they fitted entire thing, from design of SOC which gives them best bang for watt/mm², power delivery philosophy to controller and SSD/IO, its simply perfect. Then there is cooling, liquid metal, all the quirks and controller perks, wifi 6 etc.

Almost feels like someone took best parts of 360 and PS3 and put them together. Series X seems conservative in comparison (well if it suddenly doesnt gain 20-25% of performance over it).

Apart from actual shell design (which is IMO revolting) and cooling solution (still think MS packaged it better), system wise, PS5 is probably best designed console I have seen.

The way they fitted entire thing, from design of SOC which gives them best bang for watt/mm², power delivery philosophy to controller and SSD/IO, its simply perfect. Then there is cooling, liquid metal, all the quirks and controller perks, wifi 6 etc.

Almost feels like someone took best parts of 360 and PS3 and put them together. Series X seems conservative in comparison (well if it suddenly doesnt gain 20-25% of performance over it).

Ye, well, what the XSX has/had going for it would have been supriority in multiplat games, like, you would be getting the best versions of games on the XSX to an extend the end-user would be able to notice it.
It turns out to be, so far atleast, that they are basically equal in multiplatform games, with the PS5 even doing better in those where it matters the most.

So yes, the PS5 seems a winner design, agian if nothing drastically changes, which i doubt will happen. For multiplat games, you get the exact same experience as the XSX will give you, perhaps they are trade blowing here and there. You also get all the sony exclusives, the controller features and faster SSD/streaming/loading, and the tempest audio thingy.
Also its running cooler (and more silent? i dont have an XSX). Wifi6 etc are future proofing things which i think any 2020 device should have but ok.

The only gripe could be, indeed, its massive size. For me personally i'd happily trade that for a cooler and quiter running system, and as a pc gamer, im used to big heavy towers so the PS5 isnt anything strange where it stands now. And IMO, vertically, it takes up most of the space, well, vertically, in the air. Abit like skyscrapers to not take up so much ground area. Most gaming pc's are in that idea to be vertically placed.

What i want to see is heavy RT/compute based games on PS5 compared to XSX with its wider and slower GPU. CoD RT seems to perform as well on both? Going wide has more CUs, but narrow and fast can fill them faster. No idea there, but i doubt differences will be huge anyway. UE5 demo did fine on the narrow/fast setup.

Ideally, you'd want both, very wide and very very fast. Thats AMD's desktop stuff scaring the crap out of NV.

Edit: Oh and, Sony should fix the 1440p, VRR (maybe atmos?) etc by software update, minor for me, but i think those should be there.
Also, i assume the PS5 has some form of the missing VRS (or whatever RDNA2 features), cause those things seem nice fits for just consoles. I couldnt care shit about quick resume, but some seem to demand it.

Back