Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way you say conspiracy makes me think there is one... :runaway:

Redgamingtech claims Sony modified CPU so that L3 cache is unified vs Xbox non-unified

Well if it's true then that would help explain why the PS5 is for now easily beating XSX in CPU heavy scenes like in crowded areas (AC) and 120fps mode (DMC5).

AC Valhalla framerate comparison in a city:
4VeCnRH.jpg

Well if it's true then that would help explain why the PS5 is for now easily beating XSX in CPU heavy scenes like in crowded areas (AC) and 120fps mode (DMC5).

AC Valhalla framerate comparison in a city:
4VeCnRH.jpg
Given that the game runs on the X1 and PS4 and PC, I reckon if this is a CPU issue it's to do with the software running on it and not the CPU itself.

The dips seen in DMC5 reek of software, and not necessarily on the developers end - vendor side software stack and development tools are absolutely critical to performance. Hitches in performance are almost always down to software in one way or another.

Once again, I think it speaks to the superiority of Sony's pre launch development environment rather than hardware secret sauce. Hardware ain't nothin' without software, and software suffers without the right environment and familiarly with that environment.

Actually, if PS5 does have 'secret source' it comes from two things: Sony's understanding of game developers (which MS also has at some level in the organisation), and Sony's willingness to put their needs first to empower the platform (which I think MS lose sight of somewhere in the board room as they try and conquer the world).

I am not sure Microsoft can be said to not have empowered the platform, we must recognise however that Xbox platform is more than the console hardware.

This is probably the reason for the delay and full RDNA2 push, Sony only have to consider the PS5 but Microsoft want a certain DX feature set to be fully embedded.

This may prove to be beneficial as the generation progresses, fast up front seems to be winning the day.

More compute should win out they way things are going but will the difference be enough, and will easy early "victories" seal the generation for Sony before the fight starts in earnest.

I am not sure Microsoft can be said to not have empowered the platform, we must recognise however that Xbox platform is more than the console hardware.

This is probably the reason for the delay and full RDNA2 push, Sony only have to consider the PS5 but Microsoft want a certain DX feature set to be fully embedded.

This may prove to be beneficial as the generation progresses, fast up front seems to be winning the day.

More compute should win out they way things are going but will the difference be enough, and will easy early "victories" seal the generation for Sony before the fight starts in earnest.

The difference between the XSX and PS5 in every department is way to small too call any of them a 'victor', assumingly for the whole generation.

Last edited:
Actually, if PS5 does have 'secret source' it comes from two things: Sony's understanding of game developers (which MS also has at some level in the organisation), and Sony's willingness to put their needs first to empower the platform (which I think MS lose sight of somewhere in the board room as they try and conquer the world).

This has been PlayStation's public position since Mark Cerny took over and he is/was a game developer. If PS5 does have a unified L3 cache across both CPU clusters I'm sure this was a decision made for performance and balance reasons though. Arguably it does make it easier for devs because it results a less code/data profiling and gives more freedom to distribute jobs sharing data across the available cores, but the more cache hits your score the less bandwidth to memory you need.

This new generation is pushing ever higher resolutions and often between 2x and 4x the framerate, yet relative increases in memory bandwidth between the PS4/XBO/PS5/Series X aren't anywhere near that so bandwidth has to be an issue. When talking about the Series X's split memory bus design Microsoft's Andrew Goossen made mention of signal integrity issues so I think Microsoft were aiming even higher.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for reminding me of that - it shows that Microsoft was solving a lot of the same problems in a similar way to Sony, and many on the comments from developers apply to both.

There is one thing I wonder about, and that is what the 100GB reservation is even needed for - can’t this reservation be part of the game install itself, since that contains all the assets already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back