Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

Ohio's COVID19 plan revealed yesterday at 5:30pm consists entirely of waiting a week to see what happens.

THIS IS FINE!

Meanwhile, highest numbers ever, 7.1K new cases at 12.55% positivity rates, hospitals nearing capacity, If they followed their guidance system as revealed months ago, all these RED counties would have been PURPLE long ago at the worst level. It's not from more testing either.

It's almost as though they've not been paying attention to the way the pandemic has progressed. The number of infections recorded today is already a lot less than you'll have in a week as they are already baked in, so to speak. If there aren't any changes in policy or behaviour from now things aren't going to automagically improve.

The old tried and tested route of acting too late to nip it in the bud.

For Ohio, much of it has been done by the GOP Governor and leadership to try to present the situation as if we've already turned the corner and we're getting back to normal. This was all done in the two months leading up to the Elections, starting in late August to early September with letting the schools open for in-person teaching. They painted these false images to try to maintain the political offices that were up for re-election.

Ohio was doing so much better before that. They were having reasonable measures being taken in response to the data. The past two months their approach has been bury your head in the sand and not react to anything. It's rather unfortunate.

It never should have gotten to this point. It never should have been this bad. And we're not done yet...

WaPo cites private social gatherings as the cause of the current spread. Parties of all types -- people are having game nights, birthday parties and teens are having sleepovers -- and even carpools are spreader situations.

A record-breaking surge in U.S. coronavirus cases is being driven to a significant degree by casual occasions that may feel deceptively safe, officials and scientists warn — dinner parties, game nights, sleepovers and carpools.

Many earlier coronavirus clusters were linked to nursing homes and crowded nightclubs. But public health officials nationwide say case investigations are increasingly leading them to small, private social gatherings. This behind-doors transmission trend reflects pandemic fatigue and widening social bubbles, experts say — and is particularly insidious because it is so difficult to police and likely to increase as temperatures drop and holidays approach.

The White House coronavirus task force has been urging states that are virus hot spots to curtail maskless get-togethers of family and friends, saying in reports that asymptomatic attendees “cause ongoing transmission, frequently infecting multiple people in a single gathering.”

On Thursday, the nation passed another grim milestone in the pandemic, setting records for cases and hospitalizations, with 152,391 new cases and 66,606 people currently hospitalized. In Chicago, the mayor said that starting Monday, residents should leave home only to go to work or school, or for essential needs, such as seeking medical care or getting groceries.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/11/12/covid-social-gatherings/

Some places have placed limits like no more than 10 people but even that's inadequate, since that can be a house gathering. Yet there's really no way to enforce people gathering in private homes. More obvious things like big weddings can't be enforced either.

So it really comes down to compliance by people but 1/3 to 1/2 the population because it's a hoax or no worse than the flu and the other half may be getting pandemic fatigue, let their guard down. The media coverage isn't as alarmist as back in the spring, when you were getting play by play coverage of all the new cases and deaths.

So people figure we've survived this far and there's a vaccine coming and fat old Trump survived with the antibody cocktail. There is a report that a cruise line restarted a Caribbean cruise and now several passengers are quarantining. I may have misheard but someone on TV said 50 million planned to travel for Thanksgiving.

YOLO!

https://electrek.co/2020/11/13/tesl...-positive-and-negative-covid-19-casts-doubts/

Something extremely bogus is going on. Was tested for covid four times today. Two tests came back negative, two came back positive. Same machine, same test, same nurse. Rapid antigen test from BD
If it’s happening to me, it’s happening to others. I’m getting PCR tests from separate labs. Results will take about 24 hours.

What the HELL?

With this said, he really needs to stop casting doubts about the seriousness of the situation.

There’s nothing bogus about this situation. The FDA has warned of the possibility of false positives with antigen tests. This is not new information.

It is normal to get PCR testing (also known as polymerase chain reaction testing) if someone tested positive on an antigen test.

My wife's school has just sent home all pupils in year 10 for 2 weeks following a couple of confirmed infections. My nephew (who is in year 10 at the school) tells us that one of the girls confirmed to have the virus took a test, then came into school the next two days as she awaited the results. Probably explains why the whole year group has been sent home.

Just how stupid can you be? Not just the girl, but her parents also. She's potentially infected dozens of her classmates. Absolute fuckwits.

I don't like how Musk is dealing with the pandemic, but his experience with testing isn't uncommon. We NEED an accurate test, those quick tests are about 50/50. :(

AFAIK quick tests are possible, the TNO LAMP test with a traditional swab sample showed good results. It's just not done with saliva. Most of the quick tests just want too much, they don't just want it quick, they also want to remove the need for trained personnel for the sampling and also want to remove the need for lab equipment ... that's two steps too far.

Fast is possible, all the rest is not, not with good specificity.

Sigh. Total lack of leadership. They should have acted months ago. New Day. New Records. They're still waiting until Thursday the 19th until they see what they can do.

"We are facing a monumental crisis in Ohio. Since yesterday, 8,071 new #COVID19 cases were reported. Nearly 300 more people were admitted to Ohio hospitals. 42 more people have died."​

AFAIK quick tests are possible, the TNO LAMP test with a traditional swab sample showed good results. It's just not done with saliva. Most of the quick tests just want too much, they don't just want it quick, they also want to remove the need for trained personnel for the sampling and also want to remove the need for lab equipment ... that's two steps too far.

Fast is possible, all the rest is not, not with good specificity.

I've read the same about the 'finger prick tests'. Can be pretty accurate if venous blood is used but pretty useless if you're actually pricking your thumb at home to take the sample. For the want of using medical professionals to do what they are actually trained for, you completely waste/invalidate otherwise reasonable tests. The fact that the authorities allow this nonsense to take place isn't creditable, either. If they can fuck up this bit, they can certainly fuck up other testing and vaccination when it's available.

I am back to normal.
The reaction was mild but it affected my work capability. I just wanted to sleep.
My Garmin Watch analytics shows 36 hours of continuous stress beginning ~6 hours after the second shot.
If you will have the vaccine then plan not to have major work to do just in case of a reaction.

Take care.

Last edited:
Wait for another surge after Thanksgiving and if BF in store shopping happens.

I drove by a BestBuy and the parking lots seemed full. Maybe they were all shopping at Safeway in the same shopping center.

Back