Demon's Souls Remake [PS5]

It’s not a generational leap, it’s a two-generational leap. ;)

But seriously, as if a 2080ti is of the same generation as the PS3 ... that’s basically the same as running the game on a next-gen console in well supported backwards compatibility mode.

But even then though you have to be nothing short of blind not to see the increase in graphical fidelity.

Yeah, comparing the first DS (2006 generation) to the remake then its almost like going from PSX to PS2, yes. Going from DS3 on a high end pc, nah not the leap some where expecting a while ago. UE5 tech demo on the other hand.

Yeah, comparing the first DS (2006 generation) to the remake then its almost like going from PSX to PS2, yes. Going from DS3 on a high end pc, nah not the leap some where expecting a while ago. UE5 tech demo on the other hand.
Not this again!

When we talk about 'generational leap' we all mean 'from the last console'. What does a 'high end PC' have to do with the generational leap from the previous generation of consoles to the new one?? Come on, man!

Also, DS3 on a 'high end PC' still looks meh, but at least it's a sharp Meh.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020...w-a-gorgeous-game-worth-dying-repeatedly-for/

While the original game played fantastically, it was unfortunately a casualty of that era's emphasis on gray and green-brown—think of the original Gears of War or Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Color desaturation was often used as a poor way to make Xbox 360 and PS3 games look "grittier," while this year's Demon's Souls proves that a game can revolve around darkness and gothic horror while opening up the palette without looking silly or overblown. For starters, dynamic lighting rules the day in Demon's Souls, which means organic light sources like magic, fire, or your character's built-in, "soul"-driven glow can pump life into any indoor or outdoor scene. These bold sources of light (which look incredible in HDR) not only look realistic, but also confirm that the insane lighting and ambient occlusion system built into this game are not relying largely on "pre-baked" models. (I'm sure some pre-baked effects are in the mix for efficiency's sake, but when you apply fire to your weapon of choice, then wave it around like a torch of sheer violence, beautifully cast shadows dance around in ways that would be very difficult to fake.)

With more pixel resolution and texture detail in the mix, Demon's Souls can also subtly pump up the in-game color palette by dropping average brightness in a nighttime scene. As a result, lighting elements like a bed of nearby lava, a blue glow from a monster's helmet, or a large, blood-red moon fill in the color-information gaps accordingly, all without making the game too dark to maneuver through.

Stop and smell the dead roses
These lighting and color factors combine to make the game feel more real, less video gamey—in spite of, you know, the monsters and dragons trying to kill you. Even more impressive is the astounding geometric detail on every surface. Look at an average tree in the game, for example, and it's an explosion of detail: an abundance of apparent geometric texture for the wood itself, with zero apparent repeating textures, along with moss and nearby foliage winding around the full shape. Branches and knots sprout off every which way, in ways that look entirely unique for each tree you see. That tree is then surrounded by dense collections of dirt and rock, and that path leads to a building built stone by stone with, once again, dense detail for each stone, as opposed to some sort of flat-with-depth-texture exterior. Shine a single light on that stony building, and the global illumination model will bathe it in proper light and shadow.

https://www.4players.de/4players.php/dispbericht/PlayStation5/Test/13778/84646/0/Demons_Souls.html

https://www.gameinformer.com/review...s-souls-review-hello-dark-souls-my-old-friend

The game seems to receive praise by many reviewers

Last edited:
OH! SHIT! That's the thing I absolutely hated about DS2 (or 1? Can't remember).

Yes, it's like DS2 when you start to go hollowed after being killed.

DS2 you gradually lose more max life the more you die until you get to 50%. Demon's Souls you just default to half your life it sounds like.

Unlike DS1, DS3 and Demon's Souls, you can get invaded while hollowed in DS2.

In DS2 you can consume a human effigy or kill a boss to remove hollowing. Not sure if you can consume something in Demon's Souls to remove it but a boss kill will remove it.

That was my main motivation to help other players kill a boss in DS2, to remove hollowing and get all my HP back before attempting a boss. :p

Regards,
SB

Gosh I canceled my PS5 preorder as I want to start upgrading my PC soon and I don't expect to play too much between now and the end of the year, but now I'm starting to regret my decision.

Also, comparing DS3 with this game... jezz... The level of detail, lighting, etc. "there is no need to be upset"

Gosh I canceled my PS5 preorder as I want to start upgrading my PC soon and I don't expect to play too much between now and the end of the year, but now I'm starting to regret my decision.

Also, comparing DS3 with this game... jezz... The level of detail, lighting, etc. "there is no need to be upset"

Get both, ive done this since the first playstation. Maybe get the PS5 first, then half a year in or so, upgrade the pc (things will be cheaper then, price/perf ratio).

Yeah, I bought a Quest 2...
And now I'm thinking I should have bought a PS5 instead :p
I'm getting kinda jealous!
But I have a roadmap and I'll stick to it!
First a new GPU, then a PS5 :D

EmzR1xQUUAAO2c8

I am impressed because he has never played Demon's Souls.

I haven't seen anyone play a Magic build. That's my intended build when I will play it. So Exciting! :)

Some of that I haven’t played any of this before or pretending to go in blind seems fake though. For instance when he beat that first demon, he very clearly knew what was coming because he didn’t heal up, which I find suspicious for as clearly an experienced player as he is. There was also definitely some editing, like he found a shortcut but he knew what it was a shortcut through and ‘oh I usually go through here ...’

But maybe I was missing something.

Back