Apple is an existential threat to the PC

Cinebench with M1 support, https://apps.apple.com/de/app/cinebench/id1438772273?l=en&mt=12

Cinebench R23 supports Apple’s ARM-powered silicon computing systems.

• Cinebench R23 is now based on the latest Cinema 4D Release 23 code using updated compilers, and has a minimum runtime activated by default (previously hidden in preferences)

• Cinebench R23 provides improved benchmark accuracy for current and next generation CPUs to test if a machine runs stable on a high CPU load, if the cooling solution of a desktop or notebook is sufficient for longer running tasks to deliver the full potential of the CPU, and if a machine is able to handle demanding real-life 3D tasks.

Cinebench R23 now has the option to directly test the single core performance without manually enabling the “Advanced benchmark” option. The “Advanced benchmark” allows users to set arbitrary minimum runtimes to stress test the hardware for even longer periods of time.

• Because of code and compiler changes, Cinebench R23 score values are readjusted to a new range so they should not be compared to scores from previous versions of Cinebench

The devil is in the details though. Will it throttle at all in normal use, or is the fan there mostly to ensure unhampered operation even when in warm conditions and/or squeezed into an insulating case? How much? Is it only when CPU, GPU and memory system are hammered simultaneously, or when you browse the web?
It simply requires testing, and of course comparison to how other solutions work in similar conditions.
It’s nice to not have a fan than can break, get clogged, or be rendered inefficient by covering air intakes or outlets. Then again it would be frustrating if the computer slowed down the instant you actually want to use it for something where its theoretical power would be useful. Now I believe that a couple of hundred million iPads gives Apple a good idea of how to deal with the issue (not to mention they have been wrestling with this in their notebooks for a loooong time now), but having some kind of handle on this from reviews would be appreciated.

Man I want this CPU in my PC/console running games. Not office/web browser. Anything can manage that.

Man I want this CPU in my PC/console running games. Not office/web browser. Anything can manage that.

I dont see Apple as a threath to PC, console or server market really. If its as fast or faster then say a AMD cpu running your pc or console, does it really matter?

I dont see Apple as a threath to PC, console or server market really. If its as fast or faster then say a AMD cpu running your pc or console, does it really matter?

It's not a threat to the enterprise PC market, as I don't think Apple wants to play in that space. But the majority of PC's sold are laptops, and if you are able to sell a laptop with double the battery life of similar laptops in its class while potentially offering superior performance, but can also run all the same apps people know from their iPhone to boot, it's definitely a threat for a good chunk of consumer purchases.

"double the battery life of similar laptops in its class while potentially offering superior performance" When did we start believing Apple's propaganda?

Guess we'll see? Considering what they can achieve with Apple silicon so far in considerably smaller form factors (eg: iPad), it can't be hand waved away so easily imo - we have a basis for evaluating their marketing claims, this isn't simply taking their hype as gospel for a completely unknown architecture.

Guess we'll see? Considering what they can achieve with Apple silicon so far in considerably smaller form factors (eg: iPad), it can't be hand waved away so easily imo - we have a basis for evaluating their marketing claims, this isn't simply taking their hype as gospel for a completely unknown architecture.
The 11" iPad Pro has half the battery capacity of the MacBook Air, has a 10h active battery life at 150nits and run an A12z that is similar to the M1 but on 7nm. I don’t think Apple is bullshitting regarding battery life actually.
A threat to the markets, no. It doesn’t operate in either console or server space, and almost ten years back they already owned 90% of the $1000+ PC market. They can’t increase their volume there, apart from those PC users they might be able to lure to increase their spending. And there can’t really be too many of those around.
(Actually, it’s been really difficult to figure out just how many PC systems are actually sold annually to private individuals as opposed to companies and administrations.)

Over time they might affect what people ask for in PC space, but if the systems are bought by employers and administrations as opposed to the end users themselves, the effect might not amount to much.

Battery life is mostly a software issue and other efficiency losses due to lack of vertical integration/coordination on windows, a couple 10s of percent in the power consumption for a processor don't make that much of a difference.

Just detect when the laptop is only doing browsing and video watching and only have one active core with non aggressive turbo and then you can have 24 hour battery life for Intel too. Too much of the processor tends to get woken up way too soon.

Well yes but we aren't talking about just slightly better but "double" there are already laptops with 20-24H of battery life so we to talk about Apple's laptop having 40+Hours. Not gonna happen.

I really doubt their claims on this, they run the task with no fix luminescence but "8 clicks from the bottom" What does that suppose to mean? We also have to see if 4 cores are enough for today's world and many other things.

The only thing I learn from Apple's presentation is that we will know nothing about how good or bad this is until officials reviews are made.

Battery life is mostly a software issue and other efficiency losses due to lack of vertical integration/coordination on windows, a couple 10s of percent in the power consumption for a processor don't make that much of a difference.

Just detect when the laptop is only doing browsing and video watching and only have one active core with non aggressive turbo and then you can have 24 hour battery life for Intel too. Too much of the processor tends to get woken up way too soon.

Since they're reporting an increase of 6 and 10 hours for the Air/Macbook Pro over their Intel counterparts, apparently it does make a bit of difference.

Thanks. I use Affinity Photo, and those results are quite remarkable.
Extra relevant for B3D, unverified GfxBench results.
Quite good, compared to pretty much anything with reasonable power draw. Just above Radeon Vega Pro 20, for instance.

Since they're reporting an increase of 6 and 10 hours for the Air/Macbook Pro over their Intel counterparts, apparently it does make a bit of difference.
Who says they've been working as hard on battery life extension for Intel as they could have been the last couple years?

Back