Fill the holes with Spiders *spawn*

Honest question. How do people with trypophobia live their day to day lives? There’s holes literally everywhere.

It's not holes in general, it's the type and arrangement. It doesn't even have to be holes. I saw a certain pattern of rust in the bottom of a bucket and that had me weirded out for hours.

Think of it another way, imagine an irregular arrangement of holes like a wasp nest or numerous spider holes in the ground. Something like the arrangement of seed locations in a sunflower...er...flower. It's hypothesized that it's a remnant of the fight of flight biological mechanism due to where your ancestors evolved. Basically a biological reaction to avoid things that visually look like it might be a habitat for dangerous and poisonous insects.

I've actually got goosebumps all over my arms right now from typing this out because I've had to think about it to tell you about it. For me I wouldn't generally consider it debilitating, but it is extremely unnerving. To the point where I will not look at sunflower...er...flowers if I can help it. Wasp nests weird me out as do natural bee nests, but harvested honeycombs do not. That's because natural wasp nests and bees nests are irregular whereas the harvested honeycombs from bees nests are for the most part very regular. Well, as long as I don't look at them too closely, if I do and I notice the irregularity in the cells ... time to look away.

Now, time to go watch some videos of puppies playing around so I can stop being weirded out. :p

Regards,
SB

It's not holes in general, it's the type and arrangement. It doesn't even have to be holes. I saw a certain pattern of rust in the bottom of a bucket and that had me weirded out for hours.

Think of it another way, imagine an irregular arrangement of holes like a wasp nest or numerous spider holes in the ground. Something like the arrangement of seed locations in a sunflower...er...flower. It's hypothesized that it's a remnant of the fight of flight biological mechanism due to where your ancestors evolved. Basically a biological reaction to avoid things that visually look like it might be a habitat for dangerous and poisonous insects.

I've actually got goosebumps all over my arms right now from typing this out because I've had to think about it to tell you about it. For me I wouldn't generally consider it debilitating, but it is extremely unnerving. To the point where I will not look at sunflower...er...flowers if I can help it. Wasp nests weird me out as do natural bee nests, but harvested honeycombs do not. That's because natural wasp nests and bees nests are irregular whereas the harvested honeycombs from bees nests are for the most part very regular. Well, as long as I don't look at them too closely, if I do and I notice the irregularity in the cells ... time to look away.

Now, time to go watch some videos of puppies playing around so I can stop being weirded out. :p

Regards,
SB

I had absolutely no idea that this phobia even existed, thanks for explaining!

Yes trypophobia is a real thing and I can see how the top of the Series X would cause it, just turn it on its side and away from you I suppose, problem solved.
I dont have it in the slightest or similar things like ASMR or the photic sneeze reflex.

The same thing happened with the iwatch with some ppl this caused problems.
Most ppl are like what?!
Just shows what a wonderous thing the human mind is.
26849FAF00000578-2990682-image-m-56_1426121985464.jpg

Last edited:
Yes trypophobia is a real thing and I can see how the top of the Series X would cause it, just turn it on its side and away from you I suppose, problem solved.
Or, you know, cover the vents with ping-pong balls. :yes:

There are a lot weird people with unusual phobias on these forums. Scratch it, there are a lot of weird people too - not necessarily those with unusual phobias.

Always had it, and literally everyone has always told me I’m making this up, “makes no sense to sneeze from looking at a bright light, stupid!”.

I’m 38 years old and I just googled that term and my whole life now makes sense.

At an earlier job, a coworker has that exact thing too. Almost every time stepping outside would trigger it unless it was overcast. Sometimes it would happen when meetings would transition from all lights off with projector going to all room lights on. He said the most annoying thing about it was all the responses of "Bless You" from anyone around him.

At an earlier job, a coworker has that exact thing too. Almost every time stepping outside would trigger it unless it was overcast. Sometimes it would happen when meetings would transition from all lights off with projector going to all room lights on. He said the most annoying thing about it was all the responses of "Bless You" from anyone around him.

Yep. Always the transition from indoors to out on a sunny day and I sneeze. I wonder if there is a community for mutants like me.

I remember once when I was around 9 or 10 years old, visiting a friend's beach house, he had a neighbour with an iron gate that was severely corroded by rust. For some weird cave-man/lizzard-brain reason, the sight of that gate caused me intense disgust and fear. To the point I was afraid to get close to it. I mentioned it to my friend and he could not believe me. That gate looked like cancerous animal viscera covered in diarrhea. It even felt taboo to even try to look at it or aproach it. Like I was breaking some unspoken rule, playing with fire or what have you.

Nothing of the sort ever happened to me again. I even went back to that house later in life and went straight to that damn gate and it was absolutely underwhelming. My paralizing atavic phobia was cured... Oh well.

An ex girlfriend of mine had extreme fear of small birds. When pigeons landed around her in the city, she screamed and ran away. I asked what kind of feelings she had and she said that she could see the birds flying at her and scratching her eyes out with their claws. Terrible stuff.

[image censored so I could post this response]

GOD. DAMN. YOU. :)

I was fine when I just glanced at it, but then I had to go and stare at it to get a good look and now I can't un-see the irregularity. It's a good thing I have no desire to own that watch. :p

Gah, goosebumps all over my arms. OK, now to go and find videos of puppies, that don't have irregular holes in them, frolicking around. :p

Regards,
SB

I once worked with someone who had such a phobia of moths she'd run away screaming. In the same office we had a woman who had quite a visceral reaction of horror to small animals. Not animals that are normally small, but species that are unusually small for their type. Eg. A picture of a hand sized monkey would freak her out completely.

Humans really are beautiful / completely bonkers.

We had a woman in our office who had a phobia of apples.

That right there would have gotten me into so much trouble. After knowing that, I don't think I'd be able to resist always having an Apple with me.

Oh. My. God.

I HAVE THIS.

Always had it, and literally everyone has always told me I’m making this up, “makes no sense to sneeze from looking at a bright light, stupid!”.

I’m 38 years old and I just googled that term and my whole life now makes sense.

Thank you.
Don't thank me, thank dr karl
It seems like he cant do an episode of his show without mentioning sneezing ... or his favorite part of the human body ... the sphincter

Yep. Always the transition from indoors to out on a sunny day and I sneeze. I wonder if there is a community for mutants like me.
I have this but not to the same degree. I have to look directly at a bright light for it to trigger a sneeze, so it's not that bad for me.

Back