Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Assassins Creed has had checkered history in the quality of the first release. Black Flag was pretty solid, Unity was notoriously bug-ridden. Odyssey was pretty solid as I recall.

I remember getting Unity on disk, super cheap, about four months after release and once patched it was solid for me and I completed the game without major issue.

I really hope - but don't expect - Ubisoft will go back and unlock Odyssey's frame-rate for nextgen consoles. I mean, why wouldn't you? If it runs better, maybe people who didn't buy it before will buy it now.

The couple of review I read was "some bugs but don't worry about it". So far I've had 3 hrs or so without any real issues. I've seen a hovering horse! It didn't ruin my immershions.

Loving this so far.

Feels like there is a lot of slow communication with UPlay servers or something like that here and there ;).

EDIT: also interesting, fast travel seems a lot faster in Norway in this video:

Last edited:
Feels like there is a lot of slow communication with UPlay servers or something like that here and there ;).

These are atrocious load times for nextgen versions of this game. just W T F. :runaway: I think this demonstrates that Ubisoft have definitely not tuned their levels/data structures for nextgen consoles but just dialled-up some graphics settings.

It does look really pretty and atmospheric though and even know I'll hate all the RPG-combat, I want to play it. Stupid brain. :yep2:

So there's no raytracing, I don't really see better graphics than Odyssey or even Origins, and the I/O isn't optimized at all.

Who wants to bet this is actually running on BC mode in the new consoles, only difference being perhaps DualSense and Tempest support, and perhaps going from 4K30 to 4K60?
Anyone knows what's the difference between e.g. playing this on the PS5 in BC mode and on the PS5 "native"?

Furthermore it's apparently a free upgrade from 8th gen to 9th gen.

The difference between BC mode and Native for PS5 would likely be the setup of the GPU going from GCN subset of instructions to RDNA subset, having access to full CPU subset of instructions, having 5-5.5 GB game usable ram from BC to 13-16 GB usable or whatever their actual amount is.

During cold boot how much data will be loaded before selecting a certain save file? Do we have any idea?

The difference between BC mode and Native for PS5 would likely be the setup of the GPU going from GCN subset of instructions to RDNA subset, having access to full CPU subset of instructions, having 5-5.5 GB game usable ram from BC to 13-16 GB usable or whatever their actual amount is.
We'll likely never know, but I'm wondering if they did even that.
If the game looks exactly the same between PS4 Pro and PS5 modes, only difference being 30 vs. 60FPS, then it's probably not using the RDNA2 instructions and it's simply running in BC mode with boosted frequencies.

If the game looks exactly the same between PS4 Pro and PS5 modes, only difference being 30 vs. 60FPS, then it's probably not using the RDNA2 instructions and it's simply running in BC mode with boosted frequencies.
Do we have the resolution of PS5/PS4 Pro versions?

PS4 Pro uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 1824x1026. Native resolution pixel counts near 2304x1296 seem to be common on PS4 Pro. PS4 Pro downsamples from this resolution when outputting at 1080p with forced supersampling disabled.

PS4 uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 1493x840. Native resolution pixel counts near 1728x972 seem to be common on PS4.

When the resolution goes below the highest native values, they use temporal reconstruction up to that level. Target framerate 30FPS on all 8th gen consoles.

As for the PS5 version, all I can find is that the PS5 version isn't rendering at full 4K, but rather "upscaled to 4K". And the target framerate is 60FPS.

We don't know yet on PS5. According to VG Tech: DRS with average 1296p30fps on Pro, 972p30fps on PS4. On current gen the Pro version is the most stable version of the lot. Just playing the game on BC with uncapped framerate should be enough for an average of 1440p at 60fps on PS5. They could get more from the hardware using some RDNA2 features (but I doubt they'll do that, Covid + Ubisoft).

1440p is about what I found in one instance on the XSX game.

For comparison I just tested this on my PC with the game running from a mechanical HDD. The time measured from pressing "Play" in Ubisoft Connect to being playable was 1:28.66. For some reason the game requires an SSD at everything above the lowest quality preset but I'm running at the Ultra preset and 1440p locked at 30fps with no problems whatsoever.

For comparison I just tested this on my PC with the game running from a mechanical HDD. The time measured from pressing "Play" in Ubisoft Connect to being playable was 1:28.66. For some reason the game requires an SSD at everything above the lowest quality preset but I'm running at the Ultra preset and 1440p locked at 30fps with no problems whatsoever.

? I'm playing on mostly high/very high with HD.

When the resolution goes below the highest native values, they use temporal reconstruction up to that level. Target framerate 30FPS on all 8th gen consoles.

As for the PS5 version, all I can find is that the PS5 version isn't rendering at full 4K, but rather "upscaled to 4K". And the target framerate is 60FPS.

I would expect this title in BC mode on PS5 to do exceptionally well given what it can do on the OneX. Though it does have an odd hitch in cutscenes unrelate to game's frame rate on XBox.

Xbox One X uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 2432x1368. Native resolution pixel counts near 3093x1740 seem to be common on Xbox One X. Xbox One X seems to rarely render at a native resolution of 3840x2160.

Xbox One X has some enhancements over the other consoles such as: improved LOD transition distance (6:25), a longer draw distance (4:45) and improved texture quality in some scenes (0:00).

The loading would be much closer to Xbox One X if it was running in BC and not native.

Here is a same game running on GCN vs RDNA 1.0. There is easy wins without doing anything special for RDNA2

The loading would be much closer to Xbox One X if it was running in BC and not native.
If it's using software decompression through the CPU, then the much faster CPU alone should be enough to provide a significant boost in the loading times, even if it's running in BC.

I think we’re seeing a gradual improvement in areas of the game as the patches roll out. It is probably just a lot of work to be done. If you check the PS5 video above you see that fast travel is twice as fast in Norway as it is in England for instance.

Back