Demon's Souls Remake [PS5]

You can use fire magic and burn barrel, no need to destroy them with weapon or rolling on them.

EDIT: You can ablaze them and let them turn to ash

Crazy

Destruction is permanent now. It remembers the location of every little piece as you left it. Damn.

Burn masks/textures for every item. A holistic dynamic game world.

The devs spent a lot of time discussing their holistic approach to ultra-high fidelity game detail:

* Massively increased density of destructible props. There are shelves stacked with individually breakable plates.

*Dynamic meshes for every character (cloth, chains, satchels with arrows, etc.)

* Flammable objects and fire propagation. You can set fire to small patches of moss clinging to wall faces AND YOU CAN DRAG CORPSES INTO BONFIRES TO MAKE GIANT EFFIGIES!

* Magic missiles not only light up the environment but cast turbulence upon hanging chains, etc.

* Wind systems affect all particles, like magic fireballs

* Environmental damage, disarray and effects can persist (Phalanx leaves a persistent slime trail across his arena)

*Every light source casts a shadow -- even individual sparks as your weapon strikes a railing

I can't wait to play the game, the team took exactly the right approach in keeping the gameplay authentic while also making it a technological tour de force.

A good explanation of all the detail of the world.

Reactions: snc
EmivdAZXMAA9vqK

EmivS2GWEAAZkTQ

I have never played a Demon's Souls game in my life... but now... :oops:

The large amount of texture data that's being decompressed on the fly while streaming in and out of the world without any visible stutter or LoD issues, is quite impressive as well.

They really highlighted in the chat which I’ve almost watched completely now, that the high resolution compressed textures are now completely free to both the developers and the hardware, where otherwise the CPU would have been not only using up cycles, but the system would get bandwidth starved from just passing through that amount of data, where now the path seems to be SSD -> decompression hardware -> GPU texture cache or something like that.

I think some of the greatest graphics advances this gen may well come from art generation as this is more than ever the biggest bottleneck (next to RT of course ;))

Yeah, that was pretty exciting to hear them say they could up the detail because they aren't bottlenecked by storage I/O and even mentioned how they can stream in a ton of sounds since they don't have to hold them in memory. I suppose thats why Sweeny said the PS5's storage solution was amazing.

The game was engineered around PS5. I highly doubt the tesselation system would work on PS4 and same for the GI system and the assets have too much details for the PS4.

If they release the game on PS4, it will be a full port.

EDIT:

Last edited:
https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/12/demons-souls-ps5-review-in-progress-prepare-to-die-again-13581444/

First review in progress

We’ll get more into the game’s deeper systems in the full review but since this is the only PlayStation 5 exclusive game at launch (not counting the still very good Astro’s Playroom) the first thing anyone really wants to know is what the game looks like. And the short answer for that is… fantastic.

We were surprised to discover that the game doesn’t use ray-tracing, even though there are reflective surfaces (so far mostly puddles) and some gorgeous use of light and shadow. Either way, it’s easily the best looking game on the PlayStation 5 – a clear step ahead of Spider-Man: Miles Morales – and by that virtue one of the best looking console games of all time.

It would be that anyway, from a technical perspective, but what makes it so impressive is that developer Bluepoint, who also handled the Shadow Of The Colossus remake, have nailed the FromSoftware aesthetic so well. Perhaps you could argue they’ve made the character designs slightly more stylised – more cartoonish we’ve heard some people say – but that’s really just a by-product of the improved animation and things like glowing eyes being easier to make out.

If Demon’s Souls is the first proper PlayStation 5 exclusive it’s almost overwhelming to think what games might look like in a couple of years from now. Although the DualSense controller also plays a major part in making the game feel so unique and ‘new’. The haptic feedback effects are subtle but as you press down one of the adaptive triggers to pull off a heavy attack the rumble you feel is subtly different depending on whether you hit the wall, the floor or an enemy’s blade. Together with the excellent sound effects the sense of immersion and physicality is incredible.

EDIT:
"The most graphically advanced game on the PS5 is a remake of the forerunner to Dark Souls and it’s already a game of the year contender."[/quote]

One GOTY contender on Metro side

Last edited:
Played abit of it today, looks very good indeed (60fps mode). No idea why there even is a 30fps mode.

Sure looks like the Demon's Souls remake is a generational improvement over the 2016 game, even with both rendering at 4K.

Yeah, if you consider todays 'generational leaps' then ye, lol.

If going from that to what we got today is called a true generational leap, then thats quite underwhelming indeed. And thats without mods, as you can actually have those on pc.

Last edited:
Back