Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

Not known yet if you can be vaccinated yet catch the virus and still be infectious, even if you don't develop any symptoms.

I'd imagine it will take wider randomised testing of those who have been vaccinated to see if they are in fact immune (albeit perhaps only temporarily) or just don't get past an asymptomatic infection.

We'll most likely be wearing masks for a long time yet though hopefully it will help keep the virus suppressed longer-term.

The important figures will be the results for the older, more vulnerable age groups. Fingers-crossed this and the other new vaccines can help reduce the risk for these people.

I just don't get it, I really don't. We desperately need a change in attitude in this country towards the virus, and we need it about 10 months ago!

People are not in their normal yet. It will take a lot of time.

"Be kind. Everyone is still healing from things they don’t speak about."

Take care you all.

Here is some study about vaccination intent: https://www.ipsos.com/en/global-attitudes-covid-19-vaccine-october-2020

Depressing to see how France lags so far behind, the country of Pasteur who developed the first vaccine (though the concept was discovered earlier by en English scientist). Beyond that I'm surprised to see how many "advanced" countries are to the bottom of the chart. As if many had already forgotten what vaccination brings to society.

Ohio's lack of leadership during this pandemic shows. For the past couple of days they didn't even do their usual sharing of numbers on social media. It wasn't until today they did so, but only because it's in the total clusterfuck range, and shooting higher. But have no fear, they're going to talk tomorrow and ask people to do the same things that they haven't been doing, all because they're too GOP to mandate actual safety steps.

Today was 6.5K new cases with a test positivity rate of 14.2%.

Florida Gov. DeSantis’s new data analyst: an anti-mask sports blogger pushing coronavirus conspiracies

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/f...-pushing-coronavirus-conspiracies/ar-BB1aUooA

When Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) needed a new mind to join the state’s team of data analysts, many of whom have been working to monitor the novel coronavirus pandemic, he turned to an unlikely candidate.

Last week, Kyle Lamb, a little-known sports blogger who moonlights as an anti-masker, announced that he had been hired to do data analysis, “including but not limited to Covid-19 research,” for the governor of Florida.

Lamb, 40, is not a data scientist by trade or training. In his own words, he is “not an ‘expert.’” His public statements about the pandemic have frequently contradicted advice from public health officials, and he has dedicated much of his coronavirus commentary to undermining experts.

Yet Lamb, who has been cited on Fox News for his coronavirus-related tweets, will join a team that monitors coronavirus outbreaks in a state that has seen at least 852,174 cases and 17,460 deaths since the start of the pandemic. In the last week, the number of covid-19 cases rose by more than 15 percent in Florida, and hospitalizations jumped by more than 20 percent.

Ryan Donnelly, a former sportswriter who worked with Lamb at a sports publication in 2018, told The Washington Post in a Twitter direct message that the podcast host has no background in data analysis or epidemiology.

“He is totally unfit for the role and appears to have been hired because he enjoyed posting charts and graphs on Twitter and offering misleading analysis alongside them, Donnelly told The Post.

CDC now says masks protect wearers from Covid-19

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/me...sks-protect-wearers-from-covid-19/ar-BB1aTmeM

Wearing a mask can help protect you, not just those around you, from coronavirus transmission, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in new guidance Tuesday. The statement was an update to previous guidance suggesting the main benefit of mask wearing was to help prevent infected people from spreading the virus to others.

Cloth masks act as "source control" to block virus particles exhaled by the wearer and provide "filtration for personal protection" by blocking incoming infectious droplets from others, the CDC said in its new guidance.

The new guidance cites a number of studies showing that masks reduce the risk of transmitting or catching the virus by more than 70% in various instances. One study revealed mutual mask-use helped prevent two infected hair stylists from transmitting the virus to 67 clients who were later interviewed. Another followed infected people who spent more than 10 hours on flights without infecting other passengers when masks were used.

In several scenarios, when officials told people to wear masks, infections and deaths fell significantly, the CDC pointed out.

"Adopting universal masking policies can help avert future lockdowns, especially if combined with other non-pharmaceutical interventions such as social distancing, hand hygiene, and adequate ventilation," the CDC said.

NIH study: Hydroxychloroquine had no benefit for hospitalized COVID-19 patients

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/me...or-hospitalized-covid-19-patients/ar-BB1aQAbA

Hydroxychloroquine provides no benefit for hospitalized COVID-19 patients, a study from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) has officially concluded.

The report was published in the Journal of the American Medical Association on Monday, though the NIH stopped the study in June on the recommendation of an independent data monitoring board.

The study found that while hydroxychloroquine did not cause any additional harm, it didn't help patients either.

The NIH study of hydroxychloroquine in hospitalized patients, dubbed ORCHID, began in April at 34 hospitals across the country. It had enrolled 479 out of 510 patients before preliminary evidence led the monitoring board to recommend stopping the trial.

Most of the patients in both the hydroxychloroquine group and the placebo group were hospitalized and receiving oxygen or invasive mechanical ventilation to maintain their breathing, NIH said.

Researchers assessed each patient's clinical status 14 days after being assigned to a treatment group. Researchers also measured 12 additional outcomes, including death, that occurred 28 days after the participants' assignment to a treatment group.

On day 14, those who received hydroxychloroquine and those who received a placebo had a similar health status. The number of participants in both treatment groups who died on day 14 was also similar.

By day 28, 25 out of 241 patients in the hydroxychloroquine group died, and 25 of 236 patients in the placebo group had died.

"While we hoped that hydroxychloroquine would help, even this is an important result as we work together to find effective treatments for COVID-19," said Samuel Brown, a critical care physician at Intermountain Healthcare and an investigator who helped lead the trial.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) initially approved the emergency use of hydroxychloroquine as a potential COVID-19 treatment, before pulling it after studies showed it was ineffective and might cause harm in some patients.

The latest from the Hydroxychloroquine brigade is that, well, of course these trials are failing with hospitalised patients. The new shtick is that it must be given as soon as the illness is diagnosed to suppress viral load. With a zinc supplement, for some reason. Or Azithromycin. Or perhaps both. And then it works really well. It's a conspiracy by the medical community to ignore this wonder treatment, apparently. Because doctors don't want to save the lives of their patients.

The latest from the Hydroxychloroquine brigade is that, well, of course these trials are failing with hospitalised patients. The new shtick is that it must be given as soon as the illness is diagnosed to suppress viral load. With a zinc supplement, for some reason. Or Azithromycin. Or perhaps both. And then it works really well. It's a conspiracy by the medical community to ignore this wonder treatment, apparently. Because doctors don't want to save the lives of their patients.
This is not the latest. This is since the beginning!
The covid has three phases and the first one is where HCq-AZ + Zinc may work.

When did France get a mass influx of 'Muricans?

If the french weren't rebelious there would have been no french revolution and it could be that we were all still living under totalitarian monarchies to this day. They were the original 'merican rebels, and I thank god for the diversity of behavior and thought throught humanity that brings us types like that to shake things up when it is due. Of course, the price of their existance is they are obnoxious all the time, not just when rebeliousness is actuallg needed. I wouldn't have it otherwise though. I think we are better off with people like that in the world than without. It keeps things balanced. Even if it is bad for 'rona.

Last edited:
wow that's shocking that France is at the bottom.

Is it specifically about covid vaccines or vaccines in general?
It's vaccines in general, with some increased fear about COVID vaccines I'd say. There's been push by some physicians (yeah really) against vaccination. They were vocal enough that their disinformation still has impacts even after debunking.

I'm afraid the conclusion is that too many French people lack good science education and critical mind that'd help them spot b*llsh*t.

If the french weren't rebelious there would have been no french revolution and it could be that we were all still living under totalitarian monarchies to this day. They were the original 'merican rebels, and I thank god for the diversity of behavior and thought throught humanity that brings us types like that to shake things up when it is due. Of course, the price of their existance is they are obnoxious all the time, not just when rebeliousness is actuallg needed. I wouldn't have it otherwise though. I think we are better off with people like that in the world than without. It keeps things balanced. Even if it is bad for 'rona.
I agree in a way. This is needed but provided people are educated and turn their brain on at least once a day. If you oppose something, you should oppose it after thinking, not only because you want to oppose as you're the heirs of people who detached monarchy and religion from politics. I'm the first to criticize things I dislike and to say "no", but I don't do it for no reason as many Gilets Jaunes did and still do.

Raoult, the HCQ guru, is the perfect example: people follow that a**hole despite the obvious stupidities he says, and despite having said so many things that were proved wrong. They like him because he speaks and looks like a rebel. He's just a moron.

Back