What happened to PC133?

horvendile

Regular
I still lug my old VIA KT133A mobo with 256 Mb of PC133 around, and now I had decided to buy another 256 Mb for it. So I ordered a specimen. When it arrived though, I was in for a surprise.

If one looks at the DIMMs from the side they are basically rectangular with the contact pins on the bottom. On the bottom half of the short sides my old SDRAM has some, er, material removed so that they are not as long on the bottom side as the top side. The new one however does not have these notches; it is really rectangular and does not fit physically in my motherboard.

A clumsy illustration could looke like this:
Code:
Old memory:
 \
  |
   ---------

New memory:
|
|
-----------

Well, the question is:
What has happened? Have they changed the PC133 standard since 2001?

AFAIK, nothing has happened...

I've seen lots of PC133 DIMMS both old and new, and they all look like your new memory.

havent seen your "old" PC133 anywhere... all my Ram (PC66-PC133) looked like your "new" ram.

Oh god, this is so embarrassing I can't find words for it.
So instead I'll say: Please ignore everything I said in my first post. While you do that I'll go hide under a flat rock never come out again, not until tomorrow.
If pressed further I would mutter something about trick'o'the light and then refuse to acknowledge that I even wrote the original question. In fact, it must have been an imposter. Yes. That's gotta be it. Imposter. BTW, where's the "just shoot me"-emoticon?

My problem now is one of wits and intuition (as in Charlie's Angels (the movie)). I still can't fit the memory stick into the slot. It is the right size and sort, and it almost fits. Key word being "almost". I just can't get the damn thing to snap into the slot. So far I've tried excessive violence, to no avail.

Oh well, my girlfriend's coming home tonight. I'll let her have a go. She'll probably just insert it straight away, it goes "click" and I stare at her, not knowing whether I should be glad that she solved the problem or angry that I didn't myself (in spite of the splendid excessive violence tactics employed).

Back