Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

As many around here I thought from videos that the console was larger, kudos to the design team, fits nicely where i had the One X. I swapped consoles this afternoon, my bet nobody will notice lol

So, what´s recommended? Moving patched games to the internal ssd?? like Gears5 or FH4
Or downloading them again?

cheers

I dont quite understand even how it seems XSX loads faster in Destiny, since wouldn't you always be constrained by the slowest loading player (crucible here)? The match cant start until everybody is in! And I assume at this stage there will be at least one to mostly Xbox One players in every match.

But yet XSX seems to load faster at times, as mentioned the dropping out of orbit animation, doesn't make sense.

I'm a big Forza fan...but the FH4 update is straight bollocks. It's just the 1080P/60 Xbox One X perf profile (with slightly better draw distance & LOD) running at 4K/60. It lacks the SSAO & headlights casting dynamic shadows of the 4K/30 profile (which is what everybody assumed would be the version running at 60fps on Series X). Microsoft even mandated reviewers to only compare the XSX @ 4K/60 vs the One X @ 1080P/60 (because the One X @ 4/30 still looks better than the SX @ 4K/60...SX @ 4K/30 is identical to One X @ 4K/30)

That does sound a bit "bollocks", but having perennial 30 FPS great looking game Horizon running at 60 now isn't too be sneezed at IMO regardless the particulars.

I dont quite understand even how it seems XSX loads faster in Destiny, since wouldn't you always be constrained by the slowest loading player (crucible here)? The match cant start until everybody is in! And I assume at this stage there will be at least one to mostly Xbox One players in every match.

But yet XSX seems to load faster at times, as mentioned the dropping out of orbit animation, doesn't make sense.

The orbit animations are there to mask 2 things, matchmaking with other players AND asset loading and processing.

And XBS helps with the asset loading while console launch is helping with player availability which should make matchmaking faster, possibly...as long as it doesn't lead to servers getting overloaded.

Regards,
SB

Man, DirectStorage can't come to PC fast enough. Even on SSD, it can take FOREVER to drop out of orbit into the next "level" in Destiny 2 on PC. Granted a part of that is obviously matchmaking and player load, but even at the best of times it takes for freaking ever.
Just don't expect miracles. Data decompressed on GPU required by CPU still moves back and forth across the PCI bus. before it's ready for use.

Man, DirectStorage can't come to PC fast enough. Even on SSD, it can take FOREVER to drop out of orbit into the next "level" in Destiny 2 on PC. Granted a part of that is obviously matchmaking and player load, but even at the best of times it takes for freaking ever.

Regards,
SB

Same here. At 7gb/s in cross play matches id probably load fastest of all.

Just don't expect miracles. Data decompressed on GPU required by CPU still moves back and forth across the PCI bus. before it's ready for use.

I do wonder how things will work out in the future. If it's true that the Navi 2 can give CPU direct access to all GPU memory rather than just a small portion of GPU memory, this may alleviate things somewhat. Instead of going from GPU -> Main memory -> CPU, it can potentially go from GPU -> CPU -> main memory. I believe this is what AMD is leveraging for smart access memory which can provide greater than 10% increase in GPU performance when coded for, even when no specifically coded for, it still provides a small uplift. Of course, the caveat is that it require some level of hardware support.

Combined with DirectStorage potentially allowing the CPU to be bypassed when the GPU loads data from storage, this could get things pretty close.

And then there's progress on increasing PCIE speeds. While it still won't be comparable to the speeds achievable on consoles, PCIE 5 should land in consumer hardware this console gen. And while it was 6 years after PCIE 4.0 (2011) that work started on PCIE 5.0 (2017), PCIE 6.0 (2019) started preliminary development only 2 years after PCIE 4.0 started preliminary development. It's possible that even PCIE 6.0 might land towards the latter half of this generation providing a quadrupling of PCIE speeds over PCIE 4.0.

At ~252 GB/s potentially with PCIE 6.0 with an x16 PCIE slot, the CPU should be able to grab anything out of GPU memory faster than it actually needs it. Heck, that's more bandwidth than the XBS-S has. :) At that point, if latency weren't a concern you could render out of main memory (if non-graphics DDR ever gets that fast) with a GPU. :D

Regardless, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out, and even if it doesn't reach the same speeds as consoles, it's still going to be immensely faster than what we currently have. Just the change in the storage controller software stack and how data is accessed by games is going to lead to a massive performance uplift in loading speeds.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
I do wonder how things will work out in the future. If it's true that the Navi 2 can give CPU direct access to all GPU memory rather than just a small portion of GPU memory, this may alleviate things somewhat.

In the future, anything is possible. By right now there is GDDR/GPU <PCI BUS> CPU/DRAM. When you spit two RAM pools and two processor devices across a bus, every data transfer across the bus, which is hundreds/thousands of times slower to access than local hardware, will remain an architectural hurdle.

IT seems PS5 isn't alone dealing with potential launch day issues...

Other stories and post...
https://www.resetera.com/threads/xbox-series-x-crashing-on-several-games.324007/
So, my post got buried under OT, so I will post here hoping someone can help.

My Series X arrived on monday and everything was fine until I tried to play Hitman 2.

The game wouldn't load any mission I tried, crashing to the dashboard, and then shutting It off a few seconds later.

Tried playing Ghostrunner, The Surge 2 and Void Bastards, no problem.

Downloaded AC: Valhalla overnight and went to play It this morning. A few seconds after the intro the game froze, and shutted the console off.

My console is in a well ventilated área and standing horizontally.

I have seen a few people in Reddit and Microsoft forums with the same issue but no solution so far.

I could technically return It, but with zero stock on Amazon BR, I dont think it will help on short term.

In the context of multi-second load times, the latency added from copying the CPU portion of the data into main memory would be insignificant. Especially given you can likely do that copy while still streaming the rest of your data from disk into GPU memory at a much slower rate than afforded by the PCIe GPU link (even 3.0).

SB's suggestion that the CPU could read data that it needs directly from GPU memory is an interesting one (avoiding the copy altogether). Presumably that ready has some applicability today given the gains seen by AMD's SAM.

I'm REALLY loving the controller. The d-pad feels so good. I love how crisp the clicks are, even compared to the XO pads and the Elite V2, which I both have. The d-pad also feels better to roll as well. I'm honestly quite surprised by how improved it is. The rest of the controller feels pretty much exactly the same, which isn't a bad thing.

In the context of multi-second load times, the latency added from copying the CPU portion of the data into main memory would be insignificant. Especially given you can likely do that copy while still streaming the rest of your data from disk into GPU memory at a much slower rate than afforded by the PCIe GPU link (even 3.0).

Bandwidth between CPU and VRAM is a tiny fraction of that between CPU and local RAM, which is the reason CPU and GPU have their own local RAM pools in the first place. Tell me how you propose splitting the PCI resource snd I'll math not up for you. You're presumably wanting as many channels moving raw data as fast as possible to GPU to decompression while reserving enough to carry decompressed data to main RAM while reserving enough for all the other devices that rely on low-latency PCI bus access to function, like audio and networking.

A congested PCI bus will be terrible for audio and networking. PCIe has maximum theoretical bandwidth but you can only approach it if you're willing to sacrifice low latency priority devices.

I'm a big Forza fan...but the FH4 update is straight bollocks. It's just the 1080P/60 Xbox One X perf profile (with slightly better draw distance & LOD) running at 4K/60. It lacks the SSAO & headlights casting dynamic shadows of the 4K/30 profile (which is what everybody assumed would be the version running at 60fps on Series X). Microsoft even mandated reviewers to only compare the XSX @ 4K/60 vs the One X @ 1080P/60 (because the One X @ 4/30 still looks better than the SX @ 4K/60...SX @ 4K/30 is identical to One X @ 4K/30)

I was playing FH4 last night and remembered this post, headlights cast dynamic shadows at night on the XSX. I searched and searched for a 4k/30 mode to see if that's what I was using, but it doesn't exist on the XSX.

Back