Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If other games show similar results, then PS5 faster GPU frequency can really compensate for less TFs which is shown in The Road to PS5.

If other games show similar results, then PS5 faster GPU frequency can really compensate for less TFs which is shown in The Road to PS5.

This really depends on types of workloads... especially how render loads and times are managed across the game engine. With XBSX having more compute units, it should be able to handle heavier render loads 'more optimally' and spend less time (i.e., less latency) rendering frames. But there may be cases where PS5 SSD/IO capabilities allows for faster texture/data access allowing for smoother LoD loads and transitioning. As of now, it’s just too early to judge which systems advantages offer more real-world performance within a given scenario. And truth be told, this coming generation isn’t going to come down to hardware advantages/disadvantages per se, but more so on how much developers are willing to optimize their IPs across these particular platforms.

I'm not even sure what to take from this because there so much going on in terms of framerates. Would the higher clockrate on PS5's GPU give it an advantage when it comes to 120fps? Even with the erratic dips on XSX in the high framerate mode PS5 still seems to average higher when both are performing relatively smooth.

Curious about 120fps mode comparisons on Dirt 5 and Call of Duty now.

If one thing is very clear from this comparison, it's that Sony really needs to get VRR working in the PS5 for the HDMI 2.1 TV crowd. This is IMO the gravest omission in the console's launch.
Maybe the patch with VRR will be available next week for the European launch :yep2::yep2:

Wow really all over the place!

I actually disagree that it is all over the place. They tested 4 modes:

Normal mode with "old graphics" + forced native 4K rendering + 60FPS:
- Series X gets a ~8% advantage due to higher memory bandwidth and compute throughput.

High Framerate Mode, again "old graphics" with lower resolution + reconstruction and no RT, 120Hz output:
- Both consoles get same average framerates but PS5 gets more stable framerates. Perhaps due to higher fillrate on the PS5 side.

High Quality Raytracing, with RT + reconstruction + 60FPS "target":
- SeriesX's compute and bandwidth advantage again disappears because neither console needs to render at 4K. There is a very slight lead on the SeriesX but it seems to be around 5% or less.

High Performance Raytracing, RT + 1080p rendering:
- A wash, again the PS5 doesn't lose as much because there's no forced 4K rendering pushing for memory bandwidth.

In loading times, the PS5 is ~64% faster, which I'd attribute simply to the PS5 having higher raw I/O throughput and similar CPU performance.

As expected, the difference isn't remotely close to the 17% difference in compute or the even larger difference in memory bandwidth. Faster caches, faster single-thread, higher fillrate, etc. are partially making up for the narrower GPU like Cerny explained. Seems mostly like a wash between the two consoles with this title, which I'd bet it's not making use of any console-specific features like VRS, SFS, Geometry Engine, hardware decompression, etc. all of which could require deeper changes to the engine than what the release date would allow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: snc
If one thing is very clear from this comparison, it's that Sony really needs to get VRR working in the PS5 for the HDMI 2.1 TV crowd. This is IMO the gravest omission in the console's launch.
Maybe the patch with VRR will be available next week for the European launch :yep2::yep2:

I actually disagree that it is all over the place. They tested 4 modes:

Normal mode with "old graphics" + forced native 4K rendering + 60FPS:
- Series X gets a ~8% advantage due to higher memory bandwidth and compute throughput.

High Framerate Mode, again "old graphics" with lower resolution + reconstruction and no RT, 120Hz output:
- Both consoles get same average framerates but PS5 gets more stable framerates. Perhaps due to higher fillrate on the PS5 side.

High Quality Raytracing, with RT + reconstruction + 60FPS "target":
- SeriesX's compute and bandwidth advantage again disappears because neither console needs to render at 4K. There is a very slight lead on the SeriesX but it seems to be around 5% or less.

High Performance Raytracing, RT + 1080p rendering:
- A wash, again the PS5 doesn't lose as much because there's no forced 4K rendering pushing for memory bandwidth.

In loading times, the PS5 is ~64% faster, which I'd attribute simply to the PS5 having higher raw I/O throughput and similar CPU performance.

As expected, the difference isn't remotely close to the 17% difference in compute or the even larger difference in memory bandwidth. Faster caches, faster single-thread, higher fillrate, etc. are partially making up for the narrower GPU like Cerny explained. Seems mostly like a wash between the two consoles with this title, which I'd bet it's not making use of any console-specific features like VRS, SFS, Geometry Engine, hardware decompression, etc. all of which could require deeper changes to the engine than what the release date would allow.

I agree with your metric points, but the throwing of rocks at hornets nests should be avoided.

What will change? High frame rate mode or all modes?

Performance of XSX, MS has an API problem, the GDK is not finish and it has an impact. We will see if this is true but I heard multiples titles runs better on PS5 because of that.

EDIT: Or they need to come back to XDK but something need to change there is some performance lost because of the software. This is a better situation than if it was a hardware problem.

My first guess would be that in some modes and situations, the memory used exceeds then high bandwidth portion of the Xbox’s memory and that is when you get the really big drops.

My first guess would be that in some modes and situations, the memory used exceeds then high bandwidth portion of the Xbox’s memory and that is when you get the really big drops.

Because 336 GB/s is too slow for excess graphics data? Yes, its much slower than 560 GB/s but not horrible like the 68-109 GB/s from last gen consoles.

1440p native and VRR requires DEMAND!:rolleyes:

For the record, I think Sony really dropped the ball on these two. The first should be really simple to implement - downscale output from 4K mode - and the second is really just compliance with the HDMI 2.1 spec.
Here's hoping they'll solve both ASAP, though the fact that these aren't coming on day one is rather inexcusable IMHO.

I agree with your metric points, but the throwing of rocks at hornets nests should be avoided.
Will do!
It's just so hard to avoid vindication from all the targeted harassment of late 2019.. but I promise to avoid it from now on. :D

From the rumor inside the industry, this will change one day because MS has an API problem.
Secret Sauce® - 2020 edition.
j/k

Performance of XSX, MS has an API problem, the GDK is not finish and it has an impact. We will see if this is true but I heard multiples titles runs better on PS5 because of that.
I guess we should start killing off the veracity of the rumors repeated ad nauseum by that capcom leaks guy, about the SeriesX version running so well and the PS5 running so badly.

Now this is all from memory, however fuzzy that can be, but I think one of the Xbox DevKit issues was related to BVH building and maybe submission? Does anyone have any further details or thoughts on that and this game?

Also, I was under the impression DMC5:SE wouldn't have RT on Xbox or PC at release, so this was a bit of a surprise too.

Edit: The one API devkit issues aspect was about multi-process titles, not to be confused with multi-threaded titles, and they have a general workaround for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back