Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Visuals don't really scale much above Xbox One X level. Only thing that's noticeable is higher shadow map resolution. Xbox One X seems to look sharper more often than not compared to Series S. Series X seems to be punching well above PC performance if the reported resolutions are correct. Should this be the case I suspect a large part of it is down to DX12 being the only available API.

Less screen-tearing on PS5 in cutscenes. It's very obvious when comparing the same moments.
There may be less tearing on Series X if Valhalla supports VRR. I think it'd probably that capture devices may not cope well with VRR. Console direct to TV could be a lot better.

btHbV1K.gif

Hum, this game needs more time or something. XBSX version shouldn't have these particular issues.

But there are two versions? You believe all the content creators are using the XBO edition and smart delivery system isn't updating the game?
It's very odd because I have just seen a video of the XBX version (running on XBX) and it has the wave under the boat. It may be a troll video and the guy may run the PC version (with low settings running on a modest PC in order to have tearing) running alongside the PS5 version. I don't see other explanation now.

It's very odd because I have just seen a video of the XBX version (running on XBX) and it has the wave under the boat. It may be a troll video and the guy may run the PC version (with low settings running on a modest PC in order to have tearing) running alongside the PS5 version. I don't see other explanation now.

Could be. But I wasn't focusing on waves, but missing details and crushed blacks. But as you said, could be a troll job or smart delivery issue.

Please tell me the RGB settings on XBSX were incorrectly set, because the crushed black imagery is overshadowing texture details and is very much off-putting.

Edit: Seems smoke/fog or snowdrift is also missing on XBSX in that particular scene.
I have the same problem on PS4 pro. Everything is set correctly but the blacks are greyish at best. Reminds me of the blacks in RE2 remake. Dunno if it's artistic choice or whatever but it's very off-putting.

I'm beginning to think I'd be better off just playing Odyssey on the PS5 through BC (I actually own the game for the PS4, but it's on my backlog).
Is there anything.. next-gen-ish in this game?

I was jokingly going to say microtransactions and in-game ads, but this isn't an EA Sports title... I don't know if this has any consumables.

better wait for real patched versions faceoff from DF.

Assassins Creed has had checkered history in the quality of the first release. Black Flag was pretty solid, Unity was notoriously bug-ridden. Odyssey was pretty solid as I recall.

I remember getting Unity on disk, super cheap, about four months after release and once patched it was solid for me and I completed the game without major issue.

I really hope - but don't expect - Ubisoft will go back and unlock Odyssey's frame-rate for nextgen consoles. I mean, why wouldn't you? If it runs better, maybe people who didn't buy it before will buy it now.

Back