Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Err based on what? The PS4 versions are superior to Xbox One

This the same for all version and I speak about the PS5 version. We have not seen it for the moment but if they have make the same choice on TV compatible with VRR, the game will exhibit tearing.

There should not be so much tearing in the first place with DRS. Something clearly went wrong on all Xbox versions (because it's not the case on PS machines).

We did not see the PS5 version for the moment.

Some people have the game and the console but they didn't show anything, probably some embargo.

We've lived OK without VRR for the last 50 years, and this is a feature that is still in a tiny, tiny fraction of the population. We should not start to rely on VRR for stability in games, when the vast majority of us won't even be able to take advantage of that.

Games should keep being optimised to make sure that they run well enough, as has been the case until today to varying degrees of success.

We've lived OK without VRR for the last 50 years, and this is a feature that is still in a tiny, tiny fraction of the population. We should not start to rely on VRR for stability in games, when the vast majority of us won't even be able to take advantage of that.

Games should keep being optimised to make sure that they run well enough, as has been the case until today to varying degrees of success.

I don't like this option. VRR is available on my TV at 1440p but not at 4k.

After seeing the power needed on PC native 4k was a dream on consoles

I don't like this option. VRR is available on my TV at 1440p but not at 4k.

After seeing the power needed on PC native 4k was a dream on consoles

That frame time graph should be taken with a pinch of salt. I read another review at DSOG where they note that on the first run only of the benchmark. Frametimes are up and down like crazy, but that's ironed out in subsequent runs. It may be related to shader compilation.

If the shot above was taken as first run, that would explain the crazy spikes.

https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/assassins-creed-valhalla-pc-performance-analysis/

EDIT: note how extremely similar the graphs look. And also how the spikes are all caused by the CPU, not the GPU in both cases. I strongly suspect we are looking at a first run + shader compilation here.

No, but max setting are usually imperceptible nonsense to make expensive PC owners feel happier about their purchase. ;)

True in many cases, however in Valhalla most reports show that the performance difference between High, Very High and Ultra isn't that great. We can assume the XSX will be playing with a mix of those settings which means it's going to have to claw back performance in resolution and frame rate primarily.

Like most things it should be optional as in built into the engine.
On a TV without, it should attempt to have stable or even locked fps.

If your display supports VRR it should take advantage of it. There's many positives to VRR.

Like most things it should be optional as in built into the engine.
On a TV without, it should attempt to have stable or even locked fps.

If your display supports VRR it should take advantage of it. There's many positives to VRR.
Absolutely! I never stated otherwise. My worry is that if we listen so some posters (or twitterers), VRR will save framerate. My point is that games should be as stable as possible for the 99.9% of the people who can't take advantage of VRR (like me).

Absolutely! I never stated otherwise. My worry is that if we listen so some posters (or twitterers), VRR will save framerate. My point is that games should be as stable as possible for the 99.9% of the people who can't take advantage of VRR (like me).
Never meant to imply you meant that, if that's how it sounded.

I mean I would like VRR to be more than to just take the rough edges of the 1% of times it drops below target framerate.

My point is that games should be as stable as possible for the 99.9% of the people who can't take advantage of VRR (like me).

I fully expect this to be what console devs do for at least the rest of this generation and very possibly the one beyond. VRR is much more useful on the PC where there is no fixed performance target. On consoles that do have a fixed performance target, devs have to assume that VRR isn't available and target the lowest common denominator (no VRR). It's an interesting reversal of the usual PC/console dynamic.

Or you could hook up with someone who already has a new TV ... [emoji83]

Totally unrelated, think my 65” Q85 should support this. It spontaneously got a firmware update yesterday as well, wonder what it did.

I’m practically married so hooking up with a better technically minded hottie isn’t really an option.

The only option in the circumstances would be to somehow swap the TV out with a new one, without the other half noticing. This will require some imagination on my part!

I’m practically married so hooking up with a better technically minded hottie isn’t really an option.

The only option in the circumstances would be to somehow swap the TV out with a new one, without the other half noticing. This will require some imagination on my part!

If the sofa isn't against the wall, buy a bigger TV, move the sofa further away so the new TV look the same size. Over time, gradually inch the sofa back to its previous position.

Back