Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

Seems pretty experimental at this stage. Would be surprised if this able to be applied to many games...
Yeah, I figured it'd be more applicable to games that wouldn't break with framerate dependencies so I was curious if they could get it working for games based on Unreal Engine etc. or basically any multiplatform titles that run 60fps on PC.

Would love it if they could get the Dead Space games working.

xbox live is down. Can't log into my account and setup. Destiny servers are also slammed. Oddly it was the first game I was thinking about jumping back into.

edit; finally in.

not looking forward to the ps5 launch. I have no doubts it's going to be as bad
destiny is one hell of a drug

Last edited:
Yeah, I figured it'd be more applicable to games that wouldn't break with framerate dependencies so I was curious if they could get it working for games based on Unreal Engine etc. or basically any multiplatform titles that run 60fps on PC.

What I would like it if they could get the Dead Space games working.
Obviously still done in some games but tying animation, ai, anything to framerate is pretty sloppy in my view for any game in the last 10 years.

What I would like to see is if a game is 30fps it gets doubled, with possibly a 50% resolution increase would be nice.
If game is already 60fps then increases resolution first then double framerate.

But we've still not heard anything about the initial games that will have added XSS support.
These are built on XDK, and not compiled for next gen.

this is a surprisingly small console and it's impossible to hear over ambiance. Well my PC is way too loud, so this makes it impossible.

alright. well i'll see you guys in a couple weeks or months after I clock some quality hours into xsx and ps5 instead of posting here.

au revoir mes amis

this is a surprisingly small console and it's impossible to hear over ambiance. Well my PC is way too loud, so this makes it impossible.

It may be boring, but the lack of loading times and load of noise are my must anticipated features of this generation. :yes:

Reactions: Jay
Got mine. Microsoft store via Fedex came in clutch I just knew the latter would screw it up, but they didn't.

It's dense. Everybody said that but it doesn't register till you pick up the box. A lot of weight in a small area.

The power cord is too short to reach correctly in my preferred setup. I now remember I had this same problem before. It's a pretty short cable. Oh well, I'll get a longer one off Amazon.

Controller is basically the same but you basically notice it now has stippling on the grips to give a rough feel. That and the seemingly cool dpad thingy.

UI is fast, feels delightful. Too me MS slow UI was pretty unforgivable (theyre a software company!) but at least it seems solved.

Was curious if actual IO was limiting my 400 mbps connection to the ~230 mbps I'd see on Xbox game downloads, or the servers. Started to DL destiny, wasn't hitting too high about the same, but too be fair I bet servers are hammered today.

I had put a few games on my external SSD (just some off brand 500gb one) before, and I transfer them over. Jaw droppingly fast. 15GB Crysis remastered took literally like 1 minute to copy to internal. 60GB games take like 4 minutes. I knew that from videos, but to have it really hit me in action was another thing. That's fast!

From MS - via FedEx - out for delivery
From Game Stop - opens at 10

.........and now I have a kidney stone and AMD has lost my warranty return 3700x. Cannot win for losing I swear. I think my sense of humor is heading downhill.

I should be up and running on a TCL 55r635 and the Vizio OLED by this evening if anyone has something they would like me to test out.

While the LG OLED TV's have made image retention mostly a non-factor except in extreme cases, the Vizio has a ways to go in that regard.

That should be timestamped (around 6 minutes in). While the LG sets had no problems with this test that they did, the Vizio held that image for a few days. Hopefully, Vizio can address this in a firmware update or something. The panels should be the same so it just comes down to how the firmware handles long periods of static images. LG for example uses pixel shifting along with other techniques to mitigate temporary image retention. It's been so effective that temporary image retention is rare on modern LG sets.

So, might want to reconsider using it as a gaming display. Or at least be watchful for any potential negative effects.

Also it appears to potentially have problems with 120 Hz and VRR, although hopefully, again, there'll be a firmware patch to address this.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Obviously still done in some games but tying animation, ai, anything to framerate is pretty sloppy in my view for any game in the last 10 years.

What I would like to see is if a game is 30fps it gets doubled, with possibly a 50% resolution increase would be nice.
If game is already 60fps then increases resolution first then double framerate.

But we've still not heard anything about the initial games that will have added XSS support.
These are built on XDK, and not compiled for next gen.

I suppose the most difficult boost of all would be figuring out some way to get Crysis 2 and 3 off of their idiotic 31fps framerate lock.

Reactions: Jay
I wasn't able to secure a pre-order so today was my only hope lol. I've bought every Xbox on launch so I was pretty worried that streak was going to end with the overwhelming demand right now. I got lucky and secured an in store pick up form Walmart! I despise Walmart but whatever :)
Needs be, man, needs be. Congrats! :D

Still don't have mine. See a FedEx guy drive by in a rented Penske truck & drop off a package across the street. :(

Been watching the Launch Day Celebration live stream. Saw @anexanhume on the big screen! Congrats man for being on the live stream!

Tommy McClain
Hopefully your package isn't in delivered status and currently at your neighbors house! :no:

Still don't have mine. See a FedEx guy drive by in a rented Penske truck & drop off a package across the street. :(
This probably means your package is on a different truck. Sometimes the automated package van allocation and route planning solutions for big carriers is just mind-boggling.

It'll come..

Destiny Crucible 120fps on XSX (don't know if the case for XSS)

Wait, is this real? I thought Destiny next gen patch was Dec 8?

I dont have a 120HZ Tv (maybe at 1080 I dont know) but 60 would be cool.

Destiny won't let me in anyway. Servers down.

Ok I went to play Gears 5, which I had transferred over the whole 60 GB from my SSD. And then when I go to play it, tells me it needs to download a 69GB update. Which is a bigger update than the whole original game. What's the point of cold storage then? It's just replacing the whole game anyway. Unless the game post-update will be 130GB. I suppose it makes sense, since this one got a XSX texture pack. But I guess it has to redo the entire game and not just DL some textures?

I'm not expecting much. Gears 5 looks fantastic but I doubt I'll notice any difference, havent played it in a long time anyway.

Lot of people having problems with servers, games not booting or needing huge updates before you can play, cant get in Destiny, launch stuff.

Edit: this seems informative to my dumb ass

Series X/S versions aren't patched Xbox One games, so you will need to download from scratch.

Last edited:
My first takes were:
  • the shipping box isn't as large as I thought it would be, it's not much larger than the retail box
  • the peelable retail box seal stickers were a nice touch
  • after opening the retail box, this console is compact and dense

Now its time to decide how/where I want it setup. I may be able to move the TV forward some and have this standing behind it on the side. I could also place it before the TV like how my center speaker is, but on the other side.

Back