Demon's Souls Remake [PS5]

Yes the UI doesnt look that good.
But it is currently holds the crown of the best looking title released
Sure it gets a huge help with only having a limited play area, thus the artists can really make every square meter shine, and no dynamic change of day (not sure about this)

But why does it look better than all the other titles?
Huge onscreen polygon count prolly double anything else shown
Good unified lighting model
everything else is top notch, particles, animation (except the main characters running!), physics etc

I can hear all around the world in studio's 'we need to put ray traced reflections in our games now, its the hot new thing' even though this looks actually better than spiderman,rachet,watchdog and doesnt use them.

I keep watching DS3 vids on PC and the geometry doesn't look that much denser except in a few instances like the tess. floor after beating the armor spider and its soul shines the entire room.
I think it's mostly the particles, lighting, shadows. The animation look slightly better than DS3 imo.

There is just something weird about Fromsoftware animations. They look too manually keyframed.

DS3 longsword.

DeS, DS1 DS2 longsword

DS3 first area looks very geometrically dense with the stones, branches and roots everywhere but the lighting and textures aren't as good.

DS3 first area looks very geometrically dense with the stones, branches and roots everywhere but the lighting and textures aren't as good.

No each element is nowhere near geometrically as dense. The density is in the details. Here you have some big block of geometry. In Demon's soul's of geometry carve much more details.

The tree doesn't look like the tree in Demon's souls and not only because of the texture but there is less geometry too. There is a generation leap in geometry, textures, lighting, particles, fire or fluid effect, volumetric effect, vegetation quality and animation is better too...

3735467-demonssouls-1021x580.jpg

image-asset.jpeg

Last edited:
Bluepoint has the advantage of being a ps5 only title as well albeit using a ps3 based design structure.

I wonder what from will prioritize with their next title.

No each element is nowhere near geometrically as dense. The density is in the details. Here you have some big block of geometry. In Demon's soul's of geometry carve much more details.

The tree doesn't look like the tree in Demon's souls and not only because of the texture but there is less geometry too. There is a generation leap in geometry, textures, lighting, particles, fire or fluid effect, volumetric effect, vegetation quality and animation is better too...

3735467-demonssouls-1021x580.jpg

image-asset.jpeg
The floor is the most obvious in that image from what I can see. The tree though. I don't know. Looks like DS3 has tons more branches unless those are alphas and not geometry.
Another more obvious floor leap to me is when in the new trailer, the player was lobbing fire spells down the people waddling in the mud. Not sure if that's real geometry on the floor/ledge but it looks much better tna what's in DS3.
Not seeing it in vegetation so far. Doesn't look much better than DS3 to me yet except better shadows.

Mate the difference in 2 polygon count is at least 10x more in DSR. As Chris saiz DarkSouls3 is mostly low polygon with normal maps, eg you mention the trees, yes the small branches ones above in dark souls 3 are mainly, just flat polygons with branch textures on, in the DSR they are properly modelled, thus all the lighting / shadowing is correct. (the grass is 2d though so looks pretty crappy),
The same applies with the bricks,rocks etc in DS3 its the normals doing most of the shading, but in DSR each brick is an actual 3d object. Even though today yes DSR is the new graphics king, I believe by 2022 most games would have the quality of DSR at a minimum and a lot will exceed it.
Eg open world games like GTA6 with everything looking like this, the very fast SSD will enable developers to do this.
This is what I was alluding to back in January this year
Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]
Its not about loading games faster (that is nice) its allowing games to have far more detailed worlds

Last edited:
Mate the difference in 2 polygon count is at least 10x more in DSR. As Chris saiz DarkSouls3 is mostly low polygon with normal maps, eg you mention the trees, yes the small branches ones above in dark souls 3 are mainly, just flat polygons with branch textures on, in the DSR they are properly modelled, thus all the lighting / shadowing is correct. (the grass is 2d though so looks pretty crappy),
The same applies with the bricks,rocks etc in DS3 its the normals doing most of the shading, but in DSR each brick is an actual 3d object. Even though today yes DSR is the new graphics king, I believe by 2022 most games would have the quality of DSR at a minimum and a lot will exceed it.
Eg open world games like GTA6 with everything looking like this, the very fast SSD will enable developers to do this.
This is what I was alluding to back in January this year
Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]
Its not about loading games faster (that is nice) its allowing games to have far more detailed worlds

All the games with Unreal Engine 5 will be like this and probably better and funny fact DSR and UE 5 have no triangle based raytracing but use other method for GI.

More I see of DeS PS5 less I am impressed? I fired up DS III on PS4 and I was surprised to see that it looks very similar to DeS PS5. Definitely looks like a cross gen title and the running animation is awful. Maybe it will blow my mind in person? I don't know but I am not very impressed by it. A stellar game regardless.

More I see of DeS PS5 less I am impressed? I fired up DS III on PS4 and I was surprised to see that it looks very similar to DeS PS5. Definitely looks like a cross gen title and the running animation is awful. Maybe it will blow my mind in person? I don't know but I am not very impressed by it. A stellar game regardless.

Demon's souls is not a cross gen title. And no DS 3 is nowhere near Demon's souls no need to compare with the PS4 version. This is 4k ultra 60 fps on PC and this is one generation behind Demon's souls remake because the title is not cross gen and DS3 is based on current-gen console version with improvement in framerate, resolution and IQ on PC.

And you better heard @zed, he knows how games work because is a game developer.

PS5 is going to be the ultimate Souls machine with all the games available at >1080p and locked 60fps*

*Using upcoming and illegal 60fps patch for Bloodborne**
**Playing on a devkit or illegal PS5

Isn’t Bloodborne one of those free PS4 games you get with the PS5?

It could raise the chance that it will receive a patch?

I strongly disagree that DS3 looks rough today. Maybe on console? I'm replaying it at the moment on PC, only using a mod for disabling distant LOD and Special K for HDR and I still love the way it looks. What I like most about From's engine is the amount of polygonal detail they use. It does have some rough areas like the swamps, though.

I strongly disagree that DS3 looks rough today. Maybe on console? I'm replaying it at the moment on PC, only using a mod for disabling distant LOD and Special K for HDR and I still love the way it looks. What I like most about From's engine is the amount of polygonal detail they use. It does have some rough areas like the swamps, though.
Well, yes. I thought that was the assumption. I Platinum'ed it only a few weeks ago on Pro so it's very fresh in my mind.

In that case, most (to not say all) non-pro enhanced PS4 games look rough, IMHO, lol.
I think it did get a Pro patch, but it's stuck at 1080 with a very messy framerate that tries to get to 60 but never does. Also, IQ-wise it's just all over the place, even though it is a beautiful game, artistically.

Back