Best HDMI 2.1 4K+ HDR TV for Consoles [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is LFC and is it relevant to console gaming? Don't tell me it's only frame repeating in the case when fps drops below FreeSync range.

LG CX & C9 Unlikely to Get Fix for VRR Gamma Issue Caused by OLED Panel

In a newsletter published by the OLED Association, LG Display has confirmed that the VRR gamma shift issue on LG OLED TVs including the CX and C9 is caused by the underlying OLED panel. While the company is investigating the possibility of introducing multiple gamma curves at lower refresh rates, the fix will be hardware/ T-Con-based, and can only be applied to future OLED TVs and not existing ones.

Thanks to Mr Barry Young, president & CEO of the OLED Association, for giving us permission to cite the newsletter which is originally found here:

https://www.oled-a.org/lgersquos-48rdquo-oled-attracting-game-monitor-buyers_9620.html

LG CX & C9 Unlikely to Get Fix for VRR Gamma Issue Caused by OLED Panel

In a newsletter published by the OLED Association, LG Display has confirmed that the VRR gamma shift issue on LG OLED TVs including the CX and C9 is caused by the underlying OLED panel. While the company is investigating the possibility of introducing multiple gamma curves at lower refresh rates, the fix will be hardware/ T-Con-based, and can only be applied to future OLED TVs and not existing ones.

Thanks to Mr Barry Young, president & CEO of the OLED Association, for giving us permission to cite the newsletter which is originally found here:

https://www.oled-a.org/lgersquos-48rdquo-oled-attracting-game-monitor-buyers_9620.html
So I suppose this issue applies for B9 as well?

So I suppose this issue applies for B9 as well?

Good question. Like you, I suppose it would too, if it uses the same panel and offers VRR.

I wasn't even aware of it and amazingly enough it was on my suggested video list on YouTube. That's about the only time YT recommendation ever got something right.

I'm definitely waiting. I'm in the TCL/Hisense/Vizio price range, and they all half support the spec at best, but I'm sure their 2021 models will fully support it.

I only got my TCL in 2018 anyway and I'm good with it at least another year. The HDMI 2.1 enhancements aren't that game changing really anyway. they're subtle

Make Sure Your TV’s Firmware is Updated

As mentioned above, Xbox Series X|S support up to 120 Hz refresh rate, plus Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), which are new in the world of 4K TVs. Many TV manufacturers have added support for some of these features via firmware updates, which can either be downloaded directly to the TV (if it’s got an internet connection) or enabled by putting the update on a USB drive and plugging it into the TV. Now is a good time to ensure that you’re running the latest firmware on your display – and ensure it stays updated.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/11/06/is-your-tv-ready-to-power-your-dreams/

Tommy McClain

Ah that makes sense. It's not that the new Xboxes (Xboxen?) have new features its just owners whose TVs are a bit older and never been updated may not support them fully without an update.

Also, happy Xbox Launch Day everybody getting one! :yes:

You were never really serious about getting a Series X, were you?

Tommy McClain

You were never really serious about getting a Series X, were you?
Absolutely. I set out my situation in this post. I've already invested in a good HDMI switcher so I channel five HDMI inputs (PS5, Series X, Switch, PC, MacMini/Kodi) and have set it up. My setup is ready and I expect to pick up a Series X in Q1 2021. We've spent a lot this year and had an unexpected death in the family, the Series X would just a bit stretching right before Christmas. The way 2020 has gone, being a little stretched financially is not appealing.

Why would you say this?

I consider using that as a monitor for computer work a *REALLY* bad idea and I can't emphasise this enough. So many static objects on your computer screen which will burn in you can't really avoid.
Any PC users buying this should also invest in extended warranty.

BTW, should we expect showcases of new TV lines by LG/Sony/Sammy on [virtual] CES? I'm a bit irritated that there is not a single 49-50" 4K120 FALD that fits my needs currently. I'm going to stick with my 49X900E as PC monitor until good replacement comes out.

What is LFC and is it relevant to console gaming? Don't tell me it's only frame repeating in the case when fps drops below FreeSync range.

If Im not mistaken thats basically that what it is. It extends the VRR range of the display. If the display's VRR range is from 40hz to 120 hz, LFC can double up the frame rate to allow VRR to support games whose framerates fall below that range.

Any PC users buying this should also invest in extended warranty.

BTW, should we expect showcases of new TV lines by LG/Sony/Sammy on [virtual] CES? I'm a bit irritated that there is not a single 49-50" 4K120 FALD that fits my needs currently. I'm going to stick with my 49X900E as PC monitor until good replacement comes out.

Unknown with the pandemic.

I hear LG may not intro new TVs at CES but may have something towards later 2021.

But there might not even be a CES!

Absolutely. I set out my situation in this post. I've already invested in a good HDMI switcher so I channel five HDMI inputs (PS5, Series X, Switch, PC, MacMini/Kodi) and have set it up. My setup is ready and I expect to pick up a Series X in Q1 2021. We've spent a lot this year and had an unexpected death in the family, the Series X would just a bit stretching right before Christmas. The way 2020 has gone, being a little stretched financially is not appealing.

Why would you say this?

I don't usually read all of your posts. And I just saw that you canceled & figured that you're such a big Sony fan that you were never really serious about your Series X pre-order in the first place. Canceling with-in days of it shipping seemed proof enough of that. If it was due to finances & a family death apologies, but your post history really doesn't make it seem like you're all that interested in actually having one.

Tommy McClain

I don't usually read all of your posts. And I just saw that you canceled & figured that you're such a big Sony fan that you were never really serious about your Series X pre-order in the first place.

Without being rude, this is fanboy thinking. I don't give a toss about Sony. Like Microsoft, Nintendo, Apple and Google, they are big multinational conglomerates after my money. If I like a company's product and it fills a hole/need then I'll probably buy it. I like games even if I don't get much time to play them. Not having access to one of the platform's sucks because you miss great games. What gamer wants that?

Canceling with-in days of it shipping seemed proof enough of that. If it was due to finances & a family death apologies, but your post history really doesn't make it seem like you're all that interested in actually having one

You just said you don't read all my posts, now you're citing my post history? :???: Fair enough, you obviously missed my June posts about buying a new AV cabinet big enough for PS5 and Series X, being happy that Series X will fit!, being excited for Series X even without even having games run on it. And my frustration at online storefronts when trying to pre-order a Series X. There are plenty more.

I'll be getting a Series X early next year. I already bought a HDMI switcher and installed to I can squeeze five HDMI cables on the four slots of the TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back