Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Who said 2 hours? Tests suggest that the controller is empty after about 4,x hours of astrobot (where all the new features are used).
This means you must always load the controller after using it, which has a negative effect on batteries if they get loaded every day.

What tests? All the real reviews are suggesting that the battery life is better than the DS4 and that guy above got 9+ hours out of his controller. I think that any controller would need a top up after 9 hours of continual use.

EmOwxzbXcAMSO-H

BC loading time are not interesting and inconsistent.

Finally at least for destiny 2 it is the same measurement and maybe linked to some network stuff.

Are there any specifications on version of games being used in the load comparisons? Like are these the base PS4 or PS4 Pro versions (for PS5)?

EDIT: Well I guess we can assume it's the PS4 Pro versions. But where were the earlier load time numbers coming from for some of these games? Older firmware patches for those games?

Are there any specifications on version of games being used in the load comparisons? Like are these the base PS4 or PS4 Pro versions (for PS5)?

EDIT: Well I guess we can assume it's the PS4 Pro versions. But where were the earlier load time numbers coming from for some of these games? Older firmware patches for those games?
Those “corrected” numbers are disingenuous, the video shows the time from launching the application to being playable for both consoles. The “corrected” numbers only include loading from menu into being playable. The video is literally there so you can go see for yourself.

Although the video ain’t accurate either, as some games may depend on network condition.

Those “corrected” numbers are disingenuous, the video shows the time from launching the application to being playable for both consoles. The “corrected” numbers only include loading from menu into being playable. The video is literally there so you can go see for yourself.

This is not very important and as nothing to do with SSD speed. RDR 2 loads at 40 MB per second like a fucking 5400 HDD. The bottleneck are somewhere else and this is not what digitalfoundry will test because for see the true potential of the SSD games need to be optimized around it.

This is not very important and as nothing to do with SSD speed. RDR 2 loads at 40 MB per second like a fucking 5400 HDD. The bottleneck are somewhere else and this is not what digitalfoundry will test because for see the true potential of the SSD games need to be optimized around it.
If they aren’t important, why did you bother correcting them?

I ain’t saying it’s the definitive difference, I was merely pointing out misinformation. I agree that those tests aren’t nearly representative of the potential of either systems, but they are interesting to see and are actually representative of unpatched BC experience.

No one should be looking at this as something being solely about SSD, it is about the overall consumer experience from the entire system.

From a consumer point of view all game loading more than 10 seconds are too slow but out of a few BC games like Yakuza this is too long. In two years when we will have tons of next generation games to play most of backward title will probably be a chore to play because of this.

What I see in the video is long load time often worse on PS5, sometimes worse on Xbox Series X.

If they aren’t important, why did you bother correcting them?

I ain’t saying it’s the definitive difference, I was merely pointing out misinformation. I agree that those tests aren’t nearly representative of the potential of either systems, but they are interesting to see and are actually representative of unpatched BC experience.

Because I like exactitude and it seems at least Destiny 2 time was correct like I said in my message or I would say it will probably vary depending of network sometimes faster on Xbox Series X, sometimes faster on PS5.

Last edited:
But we're consumers wanting instant gratification, so who can wait 2 years?

No need to wait two years if all 2020/2021 games released as planned between Astrobot Playroom, Spiderman Miles Morales, Spiderman remastered, Sackboy Adventure, Demon's souls, Returnal, Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, Horizon 2 forbidden west, God of War Ragnarok, GT 7 not sure to buy it, maybe Dirt 5, CyberPunk 2077 next generation version patch, Final Fantasy 16, Kena Bridge of the spirit, Stray, Little Devil Inside, DeathLoop, Oddworld Soulstorm, No Man Sky PS5 version I will have enough games to play.

I will try because they are available on PS plus Bugsnax and Destruction All stars. I will have a PS5 only beginning of 2021 or if I am lucky end of december. I was too late for preorder. And if I was not late four PS5 games + Bugsnax at launch is good.

I will finish TLOU2 could not finish it because of PS4 Pro noise only play three hours during the hot summer, play Ghost of Tsushima with fast loading, play Days Gone, FF7 Remake episode 1 and Persona 5 all with improvement after this is PS5 games.

Last edited:
What tests? All the real reviews are suggesting that the battery life is better than the DS4 and that guy above got 9+ hours out of his controller. I think that any controller would need a top up after 9 hours of continual use.
Real tests? are we now @ US standards here?

The test is here:
https://www.everyeye.it/articoli/recensione-playstation-5-console-next-gen-sony-prova-50831.html
However, a slightly lower autonomy than that of the DualShock 4 must be taken into account. With Astro's Playroom, a title that deliberately amplifies the sensations triggered by DualSense and also makes extensive use of the integrated microphone, it remains under four hours of use, while with other products the seven hours of play are more easily reached.
If the controller features (feedback & sound) are really used, the batteries are just to small.
This is something where they should really offer a controller where the batteries can be exchanged.

The controller is a nice evolution, but ... man I want my own batteries that hold 20-30h in it ;)

Real tests? are we now @ US standards here?

The test is here:
https://www.everyeye.it/articoli/recensione-playstation-5-console-next-gen-sony-prova-50831.html

If the controller features (feedback & sound) are really used, the batteries are just to small.
This is something where they should really offer a controller where the batteries can be exchanged.

The controller is a nice evolution, but ... man I want my own batteries that hold 20-30h in it ;)

You're using that as evidence of "real" tests? All I've seen are two subjective views of battery life.

And by the way, I've used pads from Xbox and PlayStation consoles and the convenience of having a battery built into the pad and never needing to change the battery (literally the entire PS4 generation required 0 battery changes) is simply a much better solution. Arguements to the contrary are very difficult to take seriously and reek of fake concern.

And by the way, I've used pads from Xbox and PlayStation consoles and the convenience of having a battery built into the pad and never needing to change the battery (literally the entire PS4 generation required 0 battery changes) is simply a much better solution.

Which is offered with the PlayAndCharge kits or the Elite V2. *shrug*

You're using that as evidence of "real" tests? All I've seen are two subjective views of battery life.

And by the way, I've used pads from Xbox and PlayStation consoles and the convenience of having a battery built into the pad and never needing to change the battery (literally the entire PS4 generation required 0 battery changes) is simply a much better solution. Arguements to the contrary are very difficult to take seriously and reek of fake concern.
Sadly I know enough persons that already bought their forth PS4 controller, just because the batteries were "broken" over time and the controllers only had juice for about 30 minutes in the end. I really want my own batteries (rechargeable) in it, just so I don't need to rebuy a new controller just because the batteries are no longer good. This is really not hard to produce, at least as alternative it would be great.

@BRiT
Last Play&Charge kit I had was for my xb360. The batteries were really bad and after one year, they were always empty (batteries broken). I really prefer to use my own, just so I can replace them quite cheap and my recharging station loads them slowly so they last a bit longer.

Back