Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I’m literally the only one who cares, but based on John’s last video, it’s confirmed that Atmos is out of the question. We can only select 5.1 and 7.1 under the AV output settings. The same as on PEE ESS THREE. WTF Sony it’s 2021 almost.

Sorry man, I know you're a big audio guy. I on the other hand felt game music reached its pinnacle with MODs on the Amiga and everything since is a figment of your imagination. It's wack that Sony - a f***ing media company with their own TV, movie and audio-video standards divisions - did not put more emphasis on supporting modern audio-video standards in their "next-gen" console.

Sorry man, I know you're a big audio guy. I on the other hand felt game music reached its pinnacle with MODs on the Amiga and everything since is a figment of your imagination. It's wack that Sony - a f***ing media company with their own TV, movie and audio-video standards divisions - did not put more emphasis on supporting modern audio-video standards in their "next-gen" console.

Honestly, that’s also my main gripe with it. Honestly, WTF Sony!

Honestly, that’s also my main gripe with it. Honestly, WTF Sony!
You could ask why no 4K Blu-ray in Pro as well. In the PS3 era, physical media was such a thing, but I genuinely think that Sony acknowledge that the vast majority of people are fine with the type of audio-video quality that is common in video streaming. But then.. why 3D audio? :runaway:

Yep. The sheer amount of STUFF in every corner of those levels was obviously way too much for a PS4 to handle, hence the shit frame rate. Bloodborne had problems with low res and shit AA but ultimately the level of detail was insane and even DS3 had to dial it down a bit.

The lack of any sort of Pro patch for Bloodborne to fix the frame rate, and seemingly the same now on PS5, takes a special place in my personal Shit Moments of Gaming next to MARVEL AVENGERS.

Yep. The sheer amount of STUFF in every corner of those levels was obviously way too much for a PS4 to handle, hence the shit frame rate. Bloodborne had problems with low res and shit AA but ultimately the level of detail was insane and even DS3 had to dial it down a bit.

The lack of any sort of Pro patch for Bloodborne to fix the frame rate, and seemingly the same now on PS5, takes a special place in my personal Shit Moments of Gaming next to MARVEL AVENGERS.

Spam bluepoints twitter to remaster bloodborne for next gen. Ill pay a small fee to play this game at 4k60

Funny thing about the DF videos is, that now resolution is no longer a problem. E.g. BC games run smoother on the PS5 because the base game runs in a much lower resolution (and scales the image up via checkerboarding). As a result, the image looks much more blurry on the PS5s BC content of those games. But it also can be the missing AF the xbox applies to all BC games.

Playstation remains one of their bigger audience besides the PC.

why 3D audio?

Because the 3d audio Cerny described and obviously is hopeful devs will use is transformative in gaming, I couldn't give two shits about it in movies.

As London Geezer says the atmos thing is just Sony being cheap but that's also not exactly correct, they must be taking quite a substantial loss on the digital only edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back