Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little bit disapointed. The rt is nice but the game look kind of "flat" most of the time, and the RT feel out of place imo. I liked Spiderman on PS4 pro, ans this look very similar. It look very cross gen, which it is... I don't care about the main protagonist so I was not buying the game anyway, but it's far from a next gen "vitrine" imo.

IGN thinks the same, theres just not that next gen yet. Not even demon souls does that, it looks better but looses RT for it. Sony still does deliver more then MS in that regard though.

The only thing that has truly looked next gen has been that UE5 demo imo.

I'm curious about EA, they have been pretty quiet, I wonder if there have been any upgrades to Frostbite we will see next year....

I'm curious about EA, they have been pretty quiet, I wonder if there have been any upgrades to Frostbite we will see next year....

And SC in some areas and light speed travel. It also depends on how you see it, counting ray tracing then yea. RT was/is the way forward imo, even minecraft RT got peoples jaws on the floor. NV and AMD saw this coming, they couldnt stuff 20+ of TF's in there with infinity cache etc, normal rendering wouldnt get that leap, but RT does.

IGN thinks the same, theres just not that next gen yet. Not even demon souls does that, it looks better but looses RT for it. Sony still does deliver more then MS in that regard though.

It's funny because the last time I checked, the UE5 demo also didn't have RT.

I guess there's no pleasing everyone.

As long as devs are focusing on accounting for 60fps and high resolutions in their game design, people should probably not be expecting "next gen" visuals or game design any time soon.

People wanted performance increases across the board and the elimination of 30fps and such, live with it. All that power in a closed box will be used up by those factors and relatively bolted on features like raytraced reflections wont change that.

Its also true that diminishing returns to a certain degree will continue to be a factor, games already hit a certain apex in 7th and 8th gens. Now its about dev resources instead of power.

I think people get way too enamored with the checklist of game engine features rather than how those features are incorporated into the visuals to make them stand out.

After playing a few ray-traced games myself like Metro and Control for example.. while they are fine looking games in their own right and I think RT helps out with lighting inconstancies, I don't feel that their art design was incredibly interesting or memorable compared to non-RT titles. I am probably a minority on this but I think Bloodborne was one of the best looking titles last generation. Even thought the engine isn't that amazing in the feature department I felt the art design was so strong at selling a truly nightmarish world scape that the imagery stuck with me after all this time and its one of the games I remember so well because the features of the engine were used so effectively imo.

The Sekiro portion of the DF video really reinforced how disappointed I am that checker-boarding isn't a thing on the PC. Ever since I saw a technical breakdown at how it works I was hoping Nvidia or AMD would do something with it on their respective driver packages. IMO its a really great performance enhancement with a minimal hit to visual quality, especially at 60+ fps.
On desktop, CBR would be nice in some cases, especially if you have older or lower end hardware. But I don't know if I think it's necessary right now, with the current push toward ML solutions like DLSS. I do, however, wish there was support for CBR or some sort of low cost performance solution for laptops.

Checkerboarding is on PC of course - born there basically in Ubisoft games.

Just like on console, it is impossible to implement "checkerboard rendering" in an agnostic way where the game machine, or driver forces it into a game. It has to be implemented by the developer on a game by game basis, on console or PC.
F.E.A.R. had an option called pixel doubling that wasn't exactly checkerboarding but rendered pixels in a 2x1 grid instead of 1x1. Worked pretty well on a CRT, falls apart more on an flat panel. I always wondered how it performed at extreme resolutions like 4k or 8k, but I'm not even sure the game supports resolutions that high.

I think people get way too enamored with the checklist of game engine features rather than how those features are incorporated into the visuals to make them stand out.

After playing a few ray-traced games myself like Metro and Control for example.. while they are fine looking games in their own right and I think RT helps out with lighting inconstancies, I don't feel that their art design was incredibly interesting or memorable compared to non-RT titles. I am probably a minority on this but I think Bloodborne was one of the best looking titles last generation. Even thought the engine isn't that amazing in the feature department I felt the art design was so strong at selling a truly nightmarish world scape that the imagery stuck with me after all this time and its one of the games I remember so well because the features of the engine were used so effectively imo.
You had me until Bloodborne lol. Always confused me how people rated its visuals as more than average.

We really are being spoiled by DF. The sheer amount of content they are producing, with such a small team, at such high quality, is just incredible.

[mention]Dictator [/mention] you guys are amazing, please extend our gratitude to the whole team!

PS5 User interface video:

If you guys are willing to, their pateon subs are 5 usd/mo.
Includes access to 4K HVEC movies if they pull the source themselves and you get access to the discord which is a nice opportunity that many of the supporters use to talk to the team.

Having said that... I see Alex playing FH4!

Comparison coming up!

PlayStation 5 Backwards Compatibility Tested

surprises
Finally got a chance to watch this. It's what I expected. And good work by the team as usual.

Maybe if there is a surprise it's the fact that all/most games are supported.

Be interesting them testing the XS games on VRR displays.
I doubt xbox could get another 10% out of the BC, but that would be enough to lock the few stubborn titles.
Shame didn't have a higher clock mode for BC as not using the full features, bit like how the CPU has the SMT modes.

We really are being spoiled by DF. The sheer amount of content they are producing, with such a small team, at such high quality, is just incredible.

[mention]Dictator [/mention] you guys are amazing, please extend our gratitude to the whole team!

PS5 User interface video:

It's a really classy OS. Linneman's soothing voice definitely helps too, ha.

It's a shame that we've still got mini embargoes going on. Can't wait to see the GoT and Days Gone DF videos. Especially looking forward to seeing Demon Souls.

It's funny because the last time I checked, the UE5 demo also didn't have RT.

I guess there's no pleasing everyone.
That's right, but they implemented an alternative for light-stuff that was also not really cheap. The demo looked really good and I know this was just a demo, but everything after this looks a bit underwhelming if you promote your console with this ;)

Funny thing about the DF videos is, that now resolution is no longer a problem. E.g. BC games run smoother on the PS5 because the base game runs in a much lower resolution (and scales the image up via checkerboarding). As a result, the image looks much more blurry on the PS5s BC content of those games. But it also can be the missing AF the xbox applies to all BC games.

It's a really classy OS. Linneman's soothing voice definitely helps too, ha.

It's a shame that we've still got mini embargoes going on. Can't wait to see the GoT and Days Gone DF videos. Especially looking forward to seeing Demon Souls.

I was thinking that too, every one of them has a soothing, clear voice, added to the pure impartiality of the content, that is by far the best in a group of countless content creators.

If anyone in DF sees this, I hope they do an NBA 2K21 gen comparison. After seeing the different PS4/PS5 and XBoxOne/SeriesX comparison videos (Miles Morales/AC/Watchdogs), most launch games will the same game across gens with RT and sliders turned way up. NBA isn't a DF staple, but it is the only launch game that is actually different between generations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back