Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Quick Resume could well be a significant source of writes to the SSD but modern cells can easily accommodate this even if you're switching games dozens of times a day, every day, for years. :yes:

I thought PS5 had something similar to XBSX/S quick resume feature? Like resuming quickly from a save file within the home menu.

I thought PS5 had something similar to XBSX/S quick resume feature? Like resuming quickly from a save file within the home menu.

They have Activity Cards but AFAIK, that has to be coded for by the game -- so BC titles won't benefit, but hopefully all new games opt to support it. You'll also need to progress far enough in the game to hit the next save point.

There is the supend resume for one game like on PS4.

I know that... but I could have sworn I seen a leaked photo showing quick access to the PS5 'game saves' within a particular folder or area that's similar to the PS4 games saves folder. The only difference being, the PS5 allowed for immediate save point launching. Mind you, I'm not talking about the Activities cards within home menu, but a folder or area where the games saves are stored. Not a biggie...

RNHZF2c.jpg

I had low expectations for PS4 backwards compatibility performance and said so a bunch of times. Everything about PS4; the thin API meaning there are fewer layers for abstraction and the minor improvements seen in PS4 Pro boost mode over base PS4 in non-patched games had my hopes set to very low so the reality is a very pleasant surprise.

Actually the Boost mode on Pro gave PS4 game pretty much expected linear improvements. GPU limited games had about 15% better perf and CPU limited games (like AC Unity but also others ) had 30% perf improvement.

PS5 BC seems to have linear improvement (with clocks) exactly like Pro. The difference is that Cerny-san went crazy with the clocks increase this time.

Word is that VRR is not available on PS5 out of the box. HDTVTest did a video on it and in it he posted a screenshot from a PlayStation blog showing VRR as one of the features. He assumed the holdup on implementation was that Sony was awaiting HDMI 2.1 Standards Board certification to be allowed to make VRR available.

Seems Sony can fully disable digital PS4 game on PS5 willy nilly, despite it was working fine https://www.gamesradar.com/pt-ps5-transfer-playable/

Konami says to ask Sony. Sony didn't answer. The error brings to playstation website BC page that didn't mention the game as incompatible

Edit: on the flip side, this could means that PS5 PS4 BC actually works way better than Sony allows. The incompatible games probably are more due to business reasons.

Edit2: this is seems to be similar with the psp emulator or ps2 emulator on ps3. If you hacked your ps3, the incompatible games actually works just fine

Last edited:
is there no way to reduce resolution on those titles for xbox? or are they stuck like that?

nvm.
it seems MHW ran better on 4Pro than X1X to begin with.
On PS4 pro, the game can detect you TV's capabilities or your output settings and alter the rendering resolution to match it. So even if games don't have explicit options for performance or resolution modes, some games have options hidden behind video output settings. On Xbox, games are rendered at a predetermined resolution and scaled to the system's output settings. So if a game doesn't have setting for performance/quality, there isn't much you can do about it. However, because Xbox supports variable refresh rates, these 50fps games might be perfectly fine with a display that supports VRR.

I have always been curious if setting your output to 30hz for those games that run in the 40s would clean them up, or just make them jitter all weird like a video file with baked in pulldown or pullup. I've never tried it because I'm pretty sensitive to framerate, but it seams like a topic the DF guys should tackle sometime. Also, not even sure PS4 (or 5 in this case) supports a 30hz output.

They have Activity Cards but AFAIK, that has to be coded for by the game -- so BC titles won't benefit, but hopefully all new games opt to support it. You'll also need to progress far enough in the game to hit the next save point.

I imagine a Quick Resume feature is something Sony are looking at. Functionally, it's not complicated they already have the save-state mechanism. PS4 didn't even launch with sleep/resume, that came waaaaay later.

Interview of Nicolas Doucet in french, team ASOBI and director of Japan Studio. Interesting they delay loading of some part because it it too fast. He talks about the genesis of the title. They begin the preproduction by doing some demos with a team of 3 peoples and they produce 80 differents haptic and adaptative trigger demo and he hopes in a few years Astrobot usage of the dualsense will look dated.

Very interesting for people understanding french.

EDIT: They use a little raytracing in Astro Playroom

I guess I'm holding on to my Pro... :rolleyes:

FYI: This was Konami's decision on pulling the license.

If someone send me a PS5, I'll gladly
sniff the network, etc, and try what I can do about it :p

Anyway, my tool to redownload p.t. on PS4 has been updated. Now its in one complete zip. No fancy installer. You just need to extract to C: and run all.bat on squid/sbin.

I forgot to put Uninstaller.bat tho...

Back