Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Can you still use voice control? There's nothing I like more than screaming at my PS4 after a long hard day breaking the law :D

Hopefully this is just a misunderstanding by GameSpot. If not, then I'm sure Sony will releases updates for this before long.

@DSoup at least you'll be able to have all the non-updated PS4 on it.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/you-cant-store-ps5-games-on-an-external-drive/1100-6484139/

You Can't Store PS5 Games On An External Drive
You can't even temporarily store PS5 games on an external drive, although you can set one as the default for PS4 games.

Space may be at a premium on PlayStation 5, but you won't be able to rely on an external drive in order to store your PS5 games. While it was expected that you would need PS5 games to be installed to the internal NVMe SSD in order to play them, you can't even temporarily store them on an external drive to free up space on the internal drive.

Yeah you can only use the internal ssd to store and use ps5 games. You can store and use ps4 games on external sources

Also faster downloads is such a plus

At launch Sony has confirmed that extended storage is disabled. It will be fixed in a future update, which I'm sure won't take long.

Right, but this is different from the internal NVME not being enabled. This means you can't even move PS5 games to external drives for cold storage.

What surprises me and probably speaks to my obsession:D is I've been watching a lot of youtube clips because of the recent PS5 blowout but how is it that I know more than most these game channel people know about gaming related things? It's there job for Pete's sake.

Normally I wouldn't watch these things because I'd want to experience it myself but because I won't be able to I've been watching a lot of other youtube gaming channels.

This is where Digital Foundry really is the gold standard. The only ones to be trusted.

What surprises me and probably speaks to my obsession:D is I've been watching a lot of youtube clips because of the recent PS5 blowout but how is it that I know more than most these game channel people know about gaming related things? It's there job for Pete's sake.

Normally I wouldn't watch these things

That's usually why I don't watch or read reports from outside the technical forums. However this time around I've watched so many more videos about both than I ever have in the past. The first time I come across something I know is demonstrably false I give them a pass as maybe they don't realize the nuance but when it's their third time that's when I write them off as not worth the time. There's even some who seem entirely disinterested in the subject that is their job to cover. I really wish they would find a more fitting job and hand the reigns over to someone who would have more passion to do a better job.

That's usually why I don't watch or read reports from outside the technical forums. However this time around I've watched so many more videos about both than I ever have in the past. The first time I come across something I know is demonstrably false I give them a pass as maybe they don't realize the nuance but when it's their third time that's when I write them off as not worth the time. There's even some who seem entirely disinterested in the subject that is their job to cover. I really wish they would find a more fitting job and hand the reigns over to someone who would have more passion to do a better job.

Most of these people are game reviewers...not technology reviewers...

This is interesting if true. That would make the PS5 CPU more of a half way point between Zen2 APU's and Zen 2 desktop chips rather than a pure APU configuration. And would clearly be a design element borrowed from Zen 3.
It’s been suspected since the original Gonzalo leaks showed a 8MB L3. We’ve known for a while from mobile chips that a unified L3 has performance advantages.

storage.jpg

Someone try at least.

So DF loves PS5 BC. So much for people saying the PS5 BC would be crap.
I had low expectations for PS4 backwards compatibility performance and said so a bunch of times. Everything about PS4; the thin API meaning there are fewer layers for abstraction and the minor improvements seen in PS4 Pro boost mode over base PS4 in non-patched games had my hopes set to very low so the reality is a very pleasant surprise.

Interesting how things were setup from limitations of mid-gen consoles last generation. I think I'd have to agree, that having consistent 60 fps at slightly lower resolution would be better than fluctuating 60-55 fps at higher resolution. That's where VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) is going to be a saving grace.

I cannot spot such minor variations in frame-rate and never have been able too. But a minor torn frame registers like a kick in the nuts. I don't know to what extent VRR requires support in games, but I wonder if this is something that Microsoft can retrofix down the line - assuming they they can't just eek some more optimisations out of the b/c solution to hit 60 solid all the time.

At launch Sony has confirmed that extended storage is disabled. It will be fixed in a future update, which I'm sure won't take long.

Right, but this is different from the internal NVME not being enabled. This means you can't even move PS5 games to external drives for cold storage.

Hang on, what!?! Are we saying that external HDD/SDD support for PS5 is disabled? I thought it was only the internal NVME slot that was disabled. I"m very much expecting to be able to save all my PS4 games onto my external SSD, update all of them, then hang that magnificent bastard off the back of my PS5 and run all on my PS4 games from it with nary a sound from the PS5.

What am I missing?!?! :runaway:

Hang on, what!?! Are we saying that external HDD/SDD support for PS5 is disabled? I thought it was only the internal NVME slot that was disabled. I"m very much expecting to be able to save all my PS4 games onto my external SSD, update all of them, then hang that magnificent bastard off the back of my PS5 and run all on my PS4 games from it with nary a sound from the PS5.

What am I missing?!?! :runaway:

Seems like you can store PS4 games on external but not PS5 games.

The external drive works for storing and playing PS4 titles, but you can not move PS5 games yet. An update from Sony is needed to allow moving PS5 games.

Back