Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I their latest video, RGT spills the beans on a couple of info they got from some of their sources. As usual, they warn to take this with salt.
They have however been extremely reliable in the recent past, being the ones leaking Infinity Cache, Navi 21's VRAM bandwidth and its clocks.

- The GPU stays at 2.23GHz around 95% of the time. When it goes down, it's usually towards 2.1GHz.

- They claim the downclocks happen more often when there are power-consuming loads on the CPU rather than on the GPU, but Smart Shift makes these clock changes very fast, "several times over the course of one frame".

- The CPU is Zen2 in instruction set and general IPC but has one 8-core CCX with 8MB L3 like Zen3 (edit: like Zen3's APUs are expected to be).

- There is no LLC / Infinity Cache for the GPU. Effective badwidth is increased by a "cache coherency engine", which seems to me it's what the cache scrubbers are. The claims are that latency had a larger focus than system bandwidth (this reminds me of Nintendo hardware, pre-Switch).

- The geometry engine is completely custom and was mostly developed internally at Sony. The GPU can use both the custom geometry unit and the compute-based mesh shaders from the RDNA2 ISA. They claim the geometry processor is intrinsically connected to the PS5's variable rate shading system, where the shading (and I guess texture?) LOD is proportional to the geometry LOD. This seems to go hand in hand with some claims Matt Hargett made a while ago about VRS not being very useful if geometry LOD isn't configurable.

- It seems no games are using the geometry processor yet, but Sony has been trying to push its implementation on the software houses. I'm guessing most 3rd parties will be using mesh shaders as they prefer to have more code parity with the xbox. Unreal Engine 5 might change this though, as it seems to be highly dependent on geometry LOD that should be faster to implement on the custom geometry processor. Sony's recent investment of $200M on Epic might be related to this too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I their latest video, RGT spills the beans on a couple of info they got from some of their sources. As usual, they warn to take this with salt.
They have however been extremely reliable in the recent past, being the ones leaking Infinity Cache, Navi 21's VRAM bandwidth and its clocks.

- The GPU stays at 2.23GHz around 95% of the time. When it goes down, it's usually towards 2.1GHz.

- They claim the downclocks happen more often when there are power-consuming loads on the CPU rather than on the GPU, but Smart Shift makes these clock changes very fast, "several times over the course of one frame".

- The CPU is Zen2 in instruction set and general IPC but has one 8-core CCX with 8MB L3 like Zen3.

- There is no LLC / Infinity Cache for the GPU. Effective badwidth is increased by a "cache coherency engine", which seems to me it's what the cache scrubbers are. The claims are that latency had a larger focus than system bandwidth (this reminds me of Nintendo hardware, pre-Switch).

- The geometry engine is completely custom and was mostly developed internally at Sony. The GPU can use both the custom geometry unit and the compute-based mesh shaders from the RDNA2 ISA. They claim the geometry processor is intrinsically connected to the PS5's variable rate shading system, where the shading (and I guess texture?) LOD is proportional to the geometry LOD. This seems to go hand in hand with some claims Matt Hargett made a while ago about VRS not being very useful if geometry LOD isn't configurable.

- It seems no games are using the geometry processor yet, but Sony has been trying to push its implementation on the software houses. I'm guessing most 3rd parties will be using mesh shaders as they prefer to have more code parity with the xbox. Unreal Engine 5 might change this though, as it seems to be highly dependent on geometry LOD that should be faster to implement on the custom geometry processor. Sony's recent investment of $200M on Epic might be related to this too.

Might be a bit hard to confirm some of these, but at least die-shots would confirm the 8-core CCX which would be points towards credibility for RGT.

Last edited:
https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/got-hands-playstation-5-review-114600560.html
Another one

3352935fb9c81e3a6546bfff64615771

28d5c74b45eef25fe96dfc89a2ab4b86

new pics!

Last edited:
I like how the reflections are so well rendered. But I can't believe that the glass is 100% reflective, shouldn't you be able to see through it from certain angles?
You can. I think I remember the original having these cube maps simulating the interiors, and you can kinda see that on those pics, I think?

DF Prefers PS5 locked at 1440p and 60fps over XBSX at 4K dropping below 60fps.

Interesting how things were setup from limitations of mid-gen consoles last generation. I think I'd have to agree, that having consistent 60 fps at slightly lower resolution would be better than fluctuating 60-55 fps at higher resolution. That's where VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) is going to be a saving grace.

Now I only need to spend around $2K for an LG CX OLED. :LOL:

Interesting how things were setup from limitations of mid-gen consoles last generation. I think I'd have to agree, that having consistent 60 fps at slightly lower resolution would be better than fluctuating 60-55 fps at higher resolution. That's where VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) is going to be a saving grace.

Now I only need to spend around $2K for an LG CX OLED. :LOL:
My 2 year old Q60 65" does VRR. ;) You really don't need a LG CX OLED if you going to limit games to 4K 60fps. I got it on a special for around $600 at the time.

Back