Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if we are to embrace the reality that everyone agrees native 4K is a waste. Crank it up and keep it dynamic as possible. That's really the best of both worlds here.

native 4k isn't a waste . I know people love DLSS but it does introduce artifacts in some games like death stranding.

native 4k isn't a waste . I know people love DLSS but it does introduce artifacts in some games like death stranding.
I'll take some reduction in quality for things like frame rate, or better visuals.
I like 4K, but I'm more than willing to trade some off to ensure that the game design is not impacted and to gain some visual quality as well.

I'll take some reduction in quality for things like frame rate, or better visuals.
I like 4K, but I'm more than willing to trade some off to ensure that the game design is not impacted and to gain some visual quality as well.

4k is better visuals so i don't understand that point

4k is better visuals so i don't understand that point
Think of it like you can get a better gain elsewhere...it’s not different to having restricted finances and choosing carefully where to spend your money. Resolution is the ultimate diminishing returns.

DF Article is up @ https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-gears-5-xbox-series-x-upgrade-tested . Introductory paragraphs below:

What's new with Gears 5 on Xbox Series X?
Improved graphics, smoother performance, 120Hz multiplayer, VRS and much, much more.

One of the trends we're seeing with this new generation of consoles is the arrival of visual updates for last generation games - basically, new features designed to take advantage of more powerful hardware. Gears 5 is one of the first titles revealed to be receiving this sort of update and along with upcoming story DLC, it feels almost like a soft relaunch. In the process, one of the best-looking games for Xbox One looks better than ever - it's basically a graphics and performance upgrade with some cool new features added in.

To get the basics out of the way first, Gears 5 retains the use of dynamic resolution scaling, but based on pixel counting a selection of shots, it seems to average out at around 1728p during gameplay, with full 2160p manifesting in less busy situations. Interestingly, the lower bounds is still 1080p - just as it was on Xbox One X - but it's extremely uncommon for resolution to hit this level. By comparison, Xbox One X could drop to near 1080p much more often.

The multiplayer mode is a little more aggressive with its dynamic resolution solution owing to its higher performance targets - yes, 120 frames per second is the target - but it still looks solid. Image quality was already good thanks to Unreal's temporal anti-aliasing implementation and it's improved here thanks to a higher average resolution. We don't yet have a Series S console but we were told that Gears 5 maxes out at 1440p on the high-end suggesting an average resolution somewhere between Xbox One and Xbox One X while still hitting the same frame-rate targets as Series X.

In terms of detail levels, the PC version is used as a basis with settings bumped up to ultra across the board. This means higher quality volumetric lighting, improved shadows and more. There is an increase in detail in the new version too thanks to level of detail being pushed out - but the overall effect is relatively subtle but leads to a more stable, solid-looking game. Effects work is also increased. The Coalition bumps up the quality of screen-space reflections, increasing the quality and number of surfaces using the effect - many of these surfaces lacked SSR completely on Xbox One X and the effect is more broadly in line with the PC version.

Gears 5 does not currently make use of the Xbox Velocity Architecture but the nature of being installed to a fast SSD means that loading is hugely improved regardless. Loading times on One X could take more than 45 seconds in most scenarios. On Series X, however, this is reduced to a mere fraction of the time - often under ten seconds.

We should remember the DF video is comparing to a 6TF/12 GB machine. Versus OG Xbox One, Series X a big upgrade. The One X, its potato CPU notwithstanding, is still an amazing machine in its own right. These mid gen machines can skew our perspective of advancements.

Are ppl still complaining about dynamic res this gen even with all these improvements? Silly.

MSs upgrading of their portfolio like this is great. They are going above and beyond. And both companies having hardware that enhances previous generation games right off the bat is great.

It reminds me of using my 360 to play some older xbox games through sofware emulation. Back then the software that was compatible was relatively small and the games without issues or weird behavior even smaller. But the group of games that did end up working decently well like DOA ultimate, halo 2 and the original ninja gaiden actually looked visually way better than on og xbox and peformed at around the same level.

(i doubt anyone knows but did 360 sofware render these games at higher than their original res? It really is a night and day even using component output for both machines iirc)

The fact that both machines offer this with 99% of their library including higher fps and or higher res on unlocked titles is just amazing.

My point is, this is the furthest bc between generations has ever gone on consoles. Lets enjoy it. Yes there may be some games that dont run at native 4k and locked 60. Who cares? Looking at the big picture is more important imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back