Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

I have (had?) the virus. My father got sick at around the same time my youngest (who goes to daycare) got a runny nose, so we don't which one got it first. Then my mother got symptoms then me, then my wife aaand it all went to shit pretty fast about a week and a half ago. We're all fine now though. AMA about the sickness if you want.
Ouch. Hope you're all doing well now. How long did it last? My cousin got it and it lasted 3 weeks with a period after about 1 week when he thought he was done with it.

In general, 0/10 would recommend, especially if you're sick with the virus while having to care for a 5 year-old and a 14 month-old.
Loss of smell is great for changing diapers but terrible for cooking.
Heh. I heard that loss can last for a few weeks after the disease has gone. Good luck :(

How long did it last? My cousin got it and it lasted 3 weeks with a period after about 1 week when he thought he was done with it.
It took me some 12 days (until last Friday) to beat it though I'd say I still have some lingering symptoms. I only had significant fever for 2 days: the first and the third days where the thing just couldn't care less if I was taking paracetamol or anti-inflammatories and the fever just kept going for 8-10 hours straight. The rest of the time I was either super tired, super sleepy and/or struggling with nausea. So much nausea, especially during the last 3-4 days.

But I had practically zero symptoms related to my respiratory system. Almost no coughing, no trouble breathing, oxygen saturation always above 94%.. For a virus called "Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome", I'm deeply disappointed.

It took me some 12 days (until last Friday) to beat it though I'd say I still have some lingering symptoms. I only had significant fever for 2 days: the first and the third days where the thing just couldn't care less if I was taking paracetamol or anti-inflammatories and the fever just kept going for 8-10 hours straight. The rest of the time I was either super tired, super sleepy and/or struggling with nausea. So much nausea, especially during the last 3-4 days.

But I had practically zero symptoms related to my respiratory system. Almost no coughing, no trouble breathing, oxygen saturation always above 94%.. For a virus called "Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome", I'm deeply disappointed.
It seems like the wrong word to use, given that you felt pretty s*itty*, but you were lucky not to get the bad respiratory stuff, which appears to kick in after 5-6 days of starting to be ill.
What age group are you....oldish...youngish ?
And your dad...did he fair better or worse than you ?

It seems like the wrong word to use, given that you felt pretty s*itty*, but you were lucky not to get the bad respiratory stuff, which appears to kick in after 5-6 days of starting to be ill.
It was sarcasm ;)

I'm 36, my parents are 65. Both my parents had it a bit worse on the secondary symptoms with more headaches and some light coughing, but they've had to endure it for longer as they're on the 16 day mark and are just now starting to get rid of the symptoms. OTOH, I think they had it easier than me on the fever.
And my 43 year-old brother tested positive but is 100% asymptomatic. What an ass. he couldn't do like the rest of us even on this :D

It was sarcasm ;)

I'm 36, my parents are 65. Both my parents had it a bit worse on the secondary symptoms with more headaches and some light coughing, but they've had to endure it for longer as they're on the 16 day mark and are just now starting to get rid of the symptoms. OTOH, I think they had it easier than me on the fever.
And my 43 year-old brother tested positive but is 100% asymptomatic. What an ass. he couldn't do like the rest of us even on this :D

all in all given so many in your immediate family got it, gotta be thankful that in the round you got a good roll of the dice.

there’s a lot of stupidity hate onesidedeness etc etc on the boards here, and I’m not excluding myself, but don’t wanna hear bad stuff happening to any of the names I know here, so good to hear it’s all working out.

I have (had?) the virus. My father got sick at around the same time my youngest (who goes to daycare) got a runny nose, so we don't which one got it first. Then my mother got symptoms then me, then my wife aaand it all went to shit pretty fast about a week and a half ago. We're all fine now though. AMA about the sickness if you want.

In general, 0/10 would recommend, especially if you're sick with the virus while having to care for a 5 year-old and a 14 month-old.
Loss of smell is great for changing diapers but terrible for cooking.

You may no longer have obvious symptoms but make sure you don't have "happy hypoxia" where you're not getting enough oxygen in your blood.

Some people with mild or no symptoms have also been found to have tissue damage in the lungs, heart and other organs as well.

all in all given so many in your immediate family got it, gotta be thankful that in the round you got a good roll of the dice.

You're right. I was particularly scared for my parents who aren't that young anymore. I have a friend my age who just lost her father to covid this weekend and that scared me to death, though it seems he had existing complications in his respiratory system.
In the end we're all getting away with it mostly unscathed and I'm really thankful for it.

And the good part is we're going to ease out on our restrictions a bit. No more disinfecting all the groceries and uber eats that come into the house (we're not getring covid from outside again, anytime soon) so I guess we have that going for us.

You may no longer have obvious symptoms but make sure you don't have "happy hypoxia" where you're not getting enough oxygen in your blood.

Some people with mild or no symptoms have also been found to have tissue damage in the lungs, heart and other organs as well.
Yes, we've all been monitoring our oxygen saturation every day with an oxymeter. I'm always in the 98% range and only went as low as 94%. Though I do think all the nausea and dizzyness I felt were related to oxygen saturation.

Ohio and Cuyahoga County have had their worst day ever, with 4,229 new cases out of 39,659 tests for the state and 375 new cases for the county. This is a 10.66% test positivity rate for the state. The rolling 21 day average is nearly 2600 and rising.

Here's the Governor asking for people to do things while he refuses to issue it as state mandates and opts to keep the stores, restaurants, bars, schools, extracurricular activities, sporting events, etc open:

My older sister texted me yesterday morning. Her husband and kids went camping with his father. Long/short his father was showing some covid like symptoms so they decided to cut the trip short, both of my nieces on the trip have had covid. One is a nurse practitioner who caught it at work and the other is a college student who caught it within the first week of going to school. The dad was tired on the way home so let someone else drive, he was dead on arrival.

Got a call 2 hours later saying her husband was positive with covid. I'd been worried they hadn't been taking it seriously, but I ain't gonna lecture them now about it and am just hoping everyone gets better who still can. :(

Oh, they live in Tennessee.

My 5 year old began school at the start of September. They are coping pretty well, keeping every class and their teachers in separate 'bubbles'. So far, at least 3 cases we've heard of though not in my son's class as yet. Despite all this, we received an e-mail from the school yesterday reminding parents that they must isolate if any family members are awaiting test results - it seems that some kids have been sent to school in such a situation! Just what are these people thinking of? Our government messaging might be crap, but it's still pretty clear what is required of everyone so the stupidity on show here is worrying.

My wife is a secondary school teacher. Lots of cases at her school but perhaps just one in one of the classes she teaches. Bizarrely, the school leadership aren't informing the staff of the details of infected pupils! No masks worn in classrooms. After the recent half-term holiday, the oldest year group has been given an extra week off.

Needless to say, it seems just to be a matter of time until we're isolating at home for one reason or another...

This isn't a shock if you follow the science and understand without any mandated precautions or restrictions it will spread. Ohio is fucked. Lack of leadership.

"We have a shockingly high number of cases in the past 24 hours. 4,961 is a new record number of cases."​

"86% of Ohioans are now living in a Red Alert Level 3 county. There have been enough cases during the past two weeks that the risk of catching this virus in all 88 counties is very real and very concerning."

"Our updated Advisory System Map shows that the virus continues to spread throughout all regions of Ohio. We now have 56 Red Alert Level 3 counties—the highest number of counties that are red since we started the alert system."​

Denmark is planning to kill as many as 17 million minks because there's evidence of a new strain caused by the virus jumping from humans to mink and then back to humans in a new mutated form.

The Danes believe this new strain suppresses human immune system production of antibodies, which could render vaccines less effective or not effective at all.

Sounds like something to be avoided if at all possible, that's for certain.

On "Operation Moonshot" here in the UK (mass testing using RT-LAMP fast-testing technology), a recent trial in the Manchester area doesn't seem to have been particularly promising:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...d-covid-test-missed-over-50-of-cases-in-pilot

If it isn't accurate enough to diagnose even half of cases, it isn't going to be a great deal of use. On the other hand, the fact that we aren't generally using medical professionals to take swabs in the UK makes me wonder if perhaps the quality of the sampling just isn't good enough.

Denmark is planning to kill as many as 17 million minks because there's evidence of a new strain caused by the virus jumping from humans to mink and then back to humans in a new mutated form.

The Danes believe this new strain suppresses human immune system production of antibodies, which could render vaccines less effective or not effective at all.

We have effectively closed down all impacted municipalities (7) and people are not allowed to go to work if they work outside their municipality. We are currently culling the entire population of minks to ensure it doesn’t spread and have a possible negative effect on future vaccines. We have dedicated teams working on contact tracking and are going to test everyone in the mentioned municipalities. School for older children and higher education are closed and replaced by remote learning platforms. All bars and restaurants are closed.

You're in Denmark Pressure?

Apparently the mink farming industry was going to be phased out. Derek Lowe notes that intense animal farming, keeping a lot of animals in close quarters, have caused problems with other viruses and they've had to cull swines for instance.

However, China and Poland supposedly have two of the larger mink farm industries in the world.

You're in Denmark Pressure?

Apparently the mink farming industry was going to be phased out. Derek Lowe notes that intense animal farming, keeping a lot of animals in close quarters, have caused problems with other viruses and they've had to cull swines for instance.

However, China and Poland supposedly have two of the larger mink farm industries in the world.

In a timely manner, some light at the end of the tunnel at least for the furry folks for now:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/05/health/coronavirus-ferrets-vaccine-spray.html

Not actually a vaccine but a temporary shield against infection, perhaps.

Last edited:
Back