Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

View attachment 4865
This is the approximate chip layout of the PS5 compared to the Xbox. Once the minimum size, once the estimated size of about 310 mm and the Xbox Series X APU for comparison.

I have drawn in IO, CPU and GPU for visualization. But you can get an impression of the approximate layout. (can be different)
Since the PS5 chip is longer, the GDDR controllers are placed on the longer sides of the chip. IO will be below/right and CPU/GPU will share the rest.
There might be Infinite Cache in it (16mm or 32mm parallel to the GDDR controllers) as the layout of the APU and GDDR6 modules is quit similar to AMD's 6000 series. By accident they didn't choose the shape of the APU. But we will see.
That looks a bit too long for chip that was shown in teardown. Keep it in mind that they angled it that way which tends to make it look even longer, so I would assume this is not how they laid it out.

EDIT

To make it easier to visualize

This is PS4 Pro SoC angled :

d84de521cb45b8134b7079c0810af688.jpg

This is PS4 Pro SoC top shot :

834-cxd90044gb.jpg

Last edited:
Your suggestion that the PS5 has IC on top of that would give it bandwidth far in excess of the XSX. If it had that, it's pretty likely Sony would have mentioned it by now.
All the folks posting if-PS5-had-X-Sony-would-have-mentioned-it have overlooked what Sony, or rather Mark Cerny, has focussed on since becoming lead PlayStation architect. Mark Cerny has only ever focussed on what Sony has chosen to do differently with any given base architecture.

With PS4 this was the dual onion/garlic-bus, boosting the number of GCN command queues to leverage better use of compute, the use of an ARM chip for background downloads, the DS4 touchpad. With PS4 Pro it was the 'butterfly'-design GPU, RPM (borrowed from Polaris) and delta colour compression. With PS5, it's boost clocks, the SSD and I/O subsystem and 3D audio.

I would not expect Sony to mention PS5, based on RDNA2, to have any specific RDNA2 feature. And to be clear, that doesn't mean believe PS5 has infinity cache either - I'm just addressing the base logic for dismissing it. Mark Cerny does not have a history of communicating like a fanboy comparing features in a playground :nope:

All the folks posting if-PS5-had-X-Sony-would-have-mentioned-it have overlooked what Sony, or rather Mark Cerny, has focussed on since becoming lead PlayStation architect. Mark Cerny has only ever focussed on what Sony has chosen to do differently with any given base architecture.

With PS4 this was the dual onion/garlic-bus, boosting the number of GCN command queues to leverage better use of compute, the use of an ARM chip for background downloads, the DS4 touchpad. With PS4 Pro it was the 'butterfly'-design GPU, RPM (borrowed from Polaris) and delta colour compression. With PS5, it's boost clocks, the SSD and I/O subsystem and 3D audio.

I would not expect Sony to mention PS5, based on RDNA2, to have any specific RDNA2 feature. And to be clear, that doesn't mean believe PS5 has infinity cache either - I'm just addressing the base logic for dismissing it. Mark Cerny does not have a history of communicating like a fanboy comparing features in a playground :nope:
Generally Mark Cerny is also pretty straightforward when it comes to new tech in new consoles so for every console you mentioned (PS4/PS4Pro) he specifically mentioned additional bits and pieces and why they were there, as well as how they plan to use it.

With PS4 he talked about additional Asyn Compute's, he talked about ARM for background processing and all new features of DS4. With PS4Pro apart from going into quite intricate detail with DF about entire arch, he presented main additions in PS4 Pro reveal such as checkerboard rendering, FP16 instruction and additional 512MB for background app switching.

WIth PS5 he talked about SSD, IOs, new GPU features such as RT, Geometry Engine and smart shift, as well as exactly how their 3D Audio works. I assume if there was secret 20-30mm2 of IC which can easily be used as trump card over your competitor, they would use it. But anyway, we are 3 days from embargo so we'll find out soon enough.

@AbsoluteBeginner you've just posted a re-worded version of what I posted. I honestly can't tell if you're agreeing with, disagreeing with me or just engaging in flagrant plagiarism!! :runaway: ;)

So to be super clear, I can't see Mark Cerny mentioning infinity cache because it wasn't something Sony developed, steered or did differently to the AMD architecture they're used as their base. All of Mark Cerny's discussions have focussed on what Sony brought to the table, that Sony chose to do differently. Infinity cache is what AMD brought to the table with RDNA2. If you look back at PS4 and PS4 Pro, Sony left AMD to extol the virtues of the Jaguar architecture.

That looks a bit too long for chip that was shown in teardown. Keep it in mind that they angled it that way which tends to make it look even longer, so I would assume this is not how they laid it out.

EDIT

To make it easier to visualize

This is PS4 Pro SoC angled :

d84de521cb45b8134b7079c0810af688.jpg

This is PS4 Pro SoC top shot :

834-cxd90044gb.jpg

Yeah that could be. And I have taken this into account.
However, in several shots the Apu looks considerably longer than higher and the GDDR6 modules and their connections to the chip are placed (parallel to the longer side) so that the GDDR controllers are probably located on the longer side.
And here is another view (unfortunately I can't give any sources with links, I'm still a virgin here :LOL:) below as well. (but I have not checked this, shouldn't be that difficult).

I'm pretty sure that the layout is roughly as I have approximated it.ps5_die_aprox.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 3
"Don't do that, don't give me hope!"
Though there's been talk of this for a while, to accomodate for the lockdowns imposed throughout Europe in mid November.

Mark Cerny does not have a history of communicating like a fanboy comparing features in a playground :nope:
You mean Cerny wouldn't make blog posts about boasting how "tHe Ps5 iS tHe OnLy CoNsOlE tHaT Is ReAlLy REALLY rDnA2 aNd ThE oThErS aRe NoT hAhA".

I assume if there was secret 20-30mm2 of IC which can easily be used as trump card over your competitor

In reality its fanboy circle jerk logic that doesn't add up to anything. People want to believe there is super secret shit hidden in commodity hardware, e.g. dual gpus and the like so they can piss on one another. I could sort of understand it in the age of one-off chips created specifically for gaming consoles but now in the age off the shelf, its down right strange.

In reality its fanboy circle jerk logic that doesn't add up to anything. People want to believe there is super secret shit hidden in commodity hardware, e.g. dual gpus and the like so they can piss on one another. I could sort of understand it in the age of one-off chips created specifically for gaming consoles but now in the age off the shelf, its down right strange.

It's a good job nobodies talking about off the shelf chips then isn't it!!

Actually the PS5 had a "secret sauce", not anymore since it's known. Sauce is some kind of liquid, the "secret sauce" for the PS5 was the liquid metal for cooling the APU:yep2:

Some people here are becoming extremely angry and offended that other forum users are speculating about a couple dozen megabytes of cache, in a forum that is mostly dedicated to hardware discussion and speculation.

To those users I'd recommend just not participating in the conversation. You shouldn't feel offended by the discussion over what's on 30mm^2 of die area in the SoC of a gaming console.. Perhaps find better things to feel offended about, like world hunger and climate change.
Or pinneaple on pizza, jesus fuck who the hell becomes a monster that eats something like that?

Back