Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

All would depend on the real size. Is not the same 305 than 315. Infinity cache seems to be near 1,5 times denser than Zen L3, so 32MB would be near 20mm2.
Well, you'd have to tell me what infinity cache is. I'm not even sure yet what it does. We seem to be discussing something, without really knowing what it is. Or at the very least, I don't know the role it can and cannot play. It's like fighting over the available silicon space to fit tensor cores for instance without knowing that tensor cores can only perform a very specific task. Until we know the role it's plays, I feel like this discussion needs to be put on hold until we learn more.

Well, you'd have to tell me what infinity cache is. I'm not even sure yet what it does. We seem to be discussing something, without really knowing what it is. Or at the very least, I don't know the role it can and cannot play. It's like fighting over the available silicon space to fit tensor cores for instance without knowing that tensor cores can only perform a very specific task. Until we know the role it's plays, I feel like this discussion needs to be put on hold until we learn more.
I only know what AMD said, it makes memory effective bandwidth wider avoiding travels to GDDR6 memory, making CUs keeping busier and getting so a better perf/watt.

So the exclusives and 1P games coming to the PS5 in it's first year.

Spiderman: Miles Morales
Demon's Souls
Godfall
Kena: Bridge of Spirits
Ratchet and clank: Rift Apart
Sackboy
Destruction All-stars
God of War 2
Returnal
Horizon Forbidden West
Gran Tourismo 7

Hot damn, thats one hell of a lineup indeed for the first (half) year. I think youre still forgetting something, Astrobot. Its still a game albeit free, using next gen hardware features like fast transitioning and dualsense features. Looks like a a fun game so yes it should be included.
Most if not all of those games are being released within the first 6 to 8 months of the PS5. Impressive. Two of these are on pc but their console exclusive to PS5.

Edit: What about Stray (ray tracing in that game, looked impressive). Thats supposed to make it to that list too, right? (On pc, but like godfall console exclusive to PS5).

I only know what AMD said, it makes memory effective bandwidth wider avoiding travels to GDDR6 memory, making CUs keeping busier and getting so a better perf/watt.
Yea, I mean, it probably needs cache to avoid hitting memory as much.
but what chip doesn't really.

I dunno what to say except it's a tight fit. imo its low probability, I think it'll do fine without it.

Next_Gen_Console_Die.png
This is the approximate chip layout of the PS5 compared to the Xbox. Once the minimum size, once the estimated size of about 310 mm and the Xbox Series X APU for comparison.

I have drawn in IO, CPU and GPU for visualization. But you can get an impression of the approximate layout. (can be different)
Since the PS5 chip is longer, the GDDR controllers are placed on the longer sides of the chip. IO will be below/right and CPU/GPU will share the rest.
There might be Infinite Cache in it (16mm or 32mm parallel to the GDDR controllers) as the layout of the APU and GDDR6 modules is quit similar to AMD's 6000 series. By accident they didn't choose the shape of the APU. But we will see.

He used non-specific qualifiers, such as substantial.

It was "large", not substantial
Looking at Sony's SSD patents, why do they need a "large" SRAM?

https://patents.google.com/patent/J...TO+HIDEYUKI&oq=SAITO+HIDEYUKI&sort=new&page=3
LBA size can be shrunk up to 32KiB for game installs for a 1TB SSD

https://patents.google.com/patent/J...TO+HIDEYUKI&oq=SAITO+HIDEYUKI&sort=new&page=3
This patent talks about using the SSD and SRAM cache as the working memory instead DRAM to reduce power consumption in standby state.
This how they are achieving 0.5W in rest mode? How much SRAM is needed?

Looking at Sony's SSD patents, why do they need a "large" SRAM?

LBA size can be shrunk up to 32KiB for game installs for a 1TB SSD

This patent talks about using the SSD and SRAM cache as the working memory instead DRAM to reduce power consumption in standby state.
This how they are achieving 0.5W in rest mode? How much SRAM is needed?
Next to the custom flash controller there is what seems another chip that could be the low power ARM cores with its own SDRAM.

PS5-SSD-Custom-Controller.jpg

Back