Next-Generation NVMe SSD and I/O Technology [PC, PS5, XBSX|S]

To more understand what Sony has done with their SSD, can it be that latencies are actually worse than on a standard nvme SSD?

The "problem" I have with understanding the speed is, that the data must be split to 6 chips or better 12 channels. That means, if you want to get the peak speed, you must always fetch with the optimal data pattern, which means you must always read a good chunk of data ahead. So each channel must deliver data at around SATA3 max read speed (just imagine 12 SATA3 SSDs combined via Raid0 ^^) . So what is the min-data you can read from such a chip?
Data will always be split between the chips for optimal performance. This also means that all 12 channels can read from the "same" address for one operation. So what would be the optimal size of data read from the SSD?

MS on the other hand has just one chip. Do we know with how many channels it get accessed with? So one chip delivers half of the performance of 6 chips, which means the one chip must be clocked much, much higher to get the speed.
So in the end to get the data, the latencies on the xboxes nvme are lower for the tiniest read operations. But on the other hand, with Sonys solution, you must wait a bit longer, but get much more data at once.

This is where I see a difference in the design. SFS on the microsoft console is optimized to get as small read operations as possible, which on the other hand sonys solution is optimized to load large chunks faster, which would lead to other solutions. So if PRT is used, for the PS5 it would be better to work with larger chunks while the xbox would better work with smaller chunks to work most optimal with the SSD.

He forgot to mention Zen3 with its rather large IPC increase and 12 core solutions, finally smashing intel. Later Intel most likely will answer with rocket lake.
That and 7gb/s raw ssd speeds, with gpu compression doing some intresting stuff later on.

Looking at AMD and NV, i never expected we would see 23+TF GPUs in this time and date (36 compute for NV). In special not the 128mb infinity cache. And ofc a 2x increase in RT perf. Intresting times indeed.

It's difficult to work out how far he's travelling here. If the clip starts at Geralt's current location then he's fast travelling about 40 yards and most of the assets will already be in RAM. Hopefully somebody will post a clip of Geralt fast travel from Skellige to the centre of Novigrad. I'm also keen to see the increase in resolution/framerate on Series X. :yes:

From Era, by Kenzodielocke
https://www.resetera.com/threads/de...ion-loading-comparison-ps5-vs-ps4-pro.318595/

Booting up with unskippable (?) logos
3ABi4up.png

Individual Chapters:
unknown.png

Unbenannt.PNG

xLYQMgP.png

From Era, by Kenzodielocke
https://www.resetera.com/threads/de...ion-loading-comparison-ps5-vs-ps4-pro.318595/

Booting up with unskippable (?) logos
3ABi4up.png

Individual Chapters:
unknown.png

Unbenannt.PNG

xLYQMgP.png

On some game like Spiderman press x skip the logo, I hope it is available here too.

EDIT: And animation is skippable too.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/de...omparison-ps5-vs-ps4-pro.318595/post-50233294

I hope it is possible if they do a good job with the logos, the loading time from os to menu can go under 10 seconds.

But the best feature is activity card loading directly to a save on the OS screen.

Last edited:
It may be, but in order to have consistent timing runs it wasn't used, so it's always comparing like for like and removing any human variability.

I don't know how human variability is something when press on let the X button press and skip every logo. It will be at 0.1 or 0.2 the same loading time. After this is not the best functionnality because using activity you can bypass cold boot for a save or save state.

I don't know how human variability is something when press on let the X button press and skip every logo. It will be at 0.1 or 0.2 the same loading time. After this is not the best functionnality because using activity you can bypass cold boot for a save or save state.

Absolutely, but this is showing apples to apples of absolute worst case load times. In reality it will be substantially quicker. Like you said, users can use Game Activities which shortcuts a lot of things.

It would be really something if Sony backports Game Activities to the PS4, at least the game level loading aspects. I don't expect them to, but that would be extremely nice quality of life improvement for last-gen. It's certainly a feature I wish for Microsoft to steal and implement for Xbox eccosystem.

It would be really something if Sony backports Game Activities to the PS4, at least the game level loading aspects. I don't expect them to, but that would be extremely nice quality of life improvement for last-gen. It's certainly a feature I wish for Microsoft to steal and implement for Xbox eccosystem.

I don't see this happening. Unless supporting cards is minimal effort stuff (and it may be) I think some devs won't even support this on PS5 games, but for Sony to provide this functionality on PS4 games? Are we talking only PS4 games that run on PS5 or adding this functionality to PS4's OS as well? Then how many devs ae going to revisit games to patch this in? I just don't see it.. :nope:

Are we talking only PS4 games that run on PS5 or adding this functionality to PS4's OS as well? Then how many devs ae going to revisit games to patch this in? I just don't see it.. :nope:

I was thinking it would be a nice feature for PS4 OS, for those first-party and third-party cross-gen games coming out in 2021 or later. Nothing for existing games, I don't see how you could support it on games without them being patched. I don't see it happening either, but it sure would be a nice quality of life improvement.

Still hoping for Microsoft to offer something similar for games not in the Quick Resume ring.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ssd-inside-xbox-series-x-is-a-standard-m2-drive-by-wd.321304/

It seems it is a customised version of a western digital SSD in Xbox Series (firmware is probably not the same) but it seems replacable.

https://www.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/pc-sn530-ssd

SN530 2400 read speed /1950 write speed

upto.PNG

https://documents.westerndigital.co...ives/pc-sn530-ssd/product-brief-sn530-ssd.pdf

It is a modified version. You don't get the speed of the SSD over just 2 Gen 3 lanes. They might have used the "of the shelf"-part but it can communicate with 2 PCIe Gen 4 lanes. I just expect the controller chip on the SSD is able to communicate with PCIe 4 x2 or the SSD was always designed that way that it can communicate with both standards. The end speed is more or less the same, but PCIe 4 just uses half the lanes.

Back