Demon's Souls Remake [PS5]

Yes otherwise it was kinda stupid from MS, Sony, AMD, NV and even mobile to start implementing it. I can see for consoles its rather limited and compromises have to be made there if used, its atleast a start.
Well, we don't know what can be achieved without all the developers investing time into it.
With RTX we see it was mainly a bolt on feature. But with consoles having this as native, we can see the developers really investing resources on finding ways to make this run considerably faster and better. Everyone is going to benefit from the base consoles being so high in feature set, even if RT performance of these systems leaves more to be desired.

Does anyone know the game engine the game will be using? Does Bluepoint Games have it's own game engine? I know they collaborated with other studios through the years but I can't fine what engine they use for Demon's Souls or even Shadow of the Colossus.

They essentially use their engine as a canvas for painting a different interpretation based on the original concept these days whereas last gen they mostly moved the assets from the original engine to theirs

I don't know why everyone is so insistent on RT. Keep in mind that Unreal Engine won't be using it either and that also manages to look better than anything else, as does this game.

If you're RT or bust, then you'll be doing yourself and your games a disservice.

By the way, the PS5 is doing some of the most impressive RT shown so far as 4k@30hz. And yet THIS is the game we're all talking about saying it looks like the most impressive one in the launch line up.
Agreed. I don’t think it's a certainty that RT is necessarily the best use of compute power. I see reflections mentioned here. It cuts performance roughly in half on even the fastest PC GPUs. Could that same huge chunk of performance be spent elsewhere for a greater visual win? Based on the most recent title, Watch Dogs Legion, I’d say it's very possible.

Last edited:
I saw that... 180 easily accessible help videos feels a bit like cheating??
It depends how much help they offer. There are two aspects to not doing, a) knowing what to do and b) having the skill/gear to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. I don’t think its a certainty that RT is necessarily the best use of compute power. I see reflections mentioned here. It cuts performance roughly in half on even the fastest PC GPUs. Could that same huge chunk of performance be spent elsewhere for a greater visual win? Based on the most recent title, Watch Dogs Legion, I’d say its very possible.

RT is vital and inevitable step in real-time rendering. It will make the difference once GI, shadows and caustics will be implemented in addition to reflections, even for the best current PBR examples (The order 1886) and Photogrammetry in the near future (hellblade 2).

Agreed. I don’t think its a certainty that RT is necessarily the best use of compute power. I see reflections mentioned here. It cuts performance roughly in half on even the fastest PC GPUs. Could that same huge chunk of performance be spent elsewhere for a greater visual win? Based on the most recent title, Watch Dogs Legion, I’d say its very possible.
Yep, looking at the shadows and graphics in general in the game, it doesn't need it. Bluepoint Game's engine seems to work a bit like UE5 and Lumen with it's fully dynamic global illumination solution. Hence why I asked earlier what engine they used because it's eerily similar to UE5 imo.

I know walking into the arena with tower knight, fat official and archers is gonna awe me just like it did the first time years ago.

The atmosphere of this game is just top notch.

The musical rendition of the remake im most curious about is that fight since its just a bunch of "HA"s over and over

I think the budget could be better used in high amount of polygons and good old dynamic lighting and shadowing. I think this is why both UE5 demo and Demon's Souls look next-gen for many.

50566766908_3ac104b709_h.jpg

50567517121_afac28e5f3_o.jpg

50567653452_268f0d4611_o.jpg

50566767633_f3951b74ff_o.jpg

The first screens dont look impressive to me, the last one has almost UE5 tech demo feel to it. Very impressive, want to see more of that in motion. Wont be long untill that i think.

They look like toys, zoom in, look at the eyes, faces etc.... DS and last of us 2 do a better job in this department i think. Then, on the last screen, you get that SotC remake feel somehow, hard to explain.
Main character builds in DS games were never meant to be TLOU2 level, and they really don't need to be.

Back