Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. In my head I am expecting multiplatform games to punch above their weight on PS5 because the tools haven’t changed, it was easy to continue building on existing game engines and the time to pixel was low (2 months if I remember), whereas Microsoft started with their new multi-console targeting platform.

That, or the HDMI cable included with the PS5 actually isn’t a high speed cable.
It’s 2.0 not 2.1 but I wouldn’t say that’s what they’re talking about- seemed much more interesting

Hah. I replied there.
People are so invested in their love for plastic boxes and corporations that they make up backstories and conspiracy theories to protect that world view. So odd.

I don't know when a 3090 has problem to run it at native 4k 30 fps with RT in ultra and it will probably the same for a 6900XT. The chance for a next-generation console to run it at native 4k 30 fps with RT is null and if the Xbox Series X fails to do it, the PS5 will fail too.

I don't know when a 3090 has problem to run it at native 4k 30 fps with RT in ultra and it will probably the same for a 6900XT. The chance for a next-generation console to run it at native 4k 30 fps with RT is null and if the Xbox Series X fails to do it, the PS5 will fail too.

Yeah but Twitter has its own reality where everything on X is native 4K 60fps with RT.

Out of this I think platform holder need to improve their marketing and listen to digitalfoundry resolution does not matter as much as before, be clever. With ML technology, other reconstrution tehnology. We can have great reconstructed 4k and some reconstructed 8k on PC.

this is gorgeous and reconstructed.

it's strange to see how much praise from the gaming community the reconstruction techniques got, with excellent results to save performance and keep a great IQ, and then see the shithows from trolls complaining when they learn a game is not native, but they needed people to pixelcount and tell them or they would have not even noticed.

i know have a 4K TV, yesterday i replayed a bit of Ghost recon breakpoint, the game was set to resolution mode, i noticed some framedrops, so i put it in detail mode, and honestly i did not notice the res difference, but noticed it to be smoother and more detailed.

Watch Dogs Legion Comparison - Current gen consoles

Temporal upscaling, dynamic res, 30fps target (adaptive sync)

XO - 684-900p, lower quality SSR than OneX, some framerate drops
OneX - 1440p up to 2016p (guess they didn't find a 4K instance), some framerate drops
PS4 - 864-1080p, minor framerate drops
4Pro - 1296-1620p, not as many framerate drops as other platforms observed

Next-gen version should be interesting with settings...

I am surprised that they left the XBOX with those framedrops. They should have just lowered the res a bit and had better frames.

I am surprised that they left the XBOX with those framedrops. They should have just lowered the res a bit and had better frames.
it may not be resolution related since the dynamic 4k scaler never seems to reach native. Assuming it was a resolution issue it should/could have dipped as low as 4Pro to get the same frames. It may just be optimization issues that need working out.

I didn't think HZD on PC used any reconstruction? I can't view the video right now but are you sure it's not native?

He probably misunderstood something. The Youtuber is using nVidia DSR, as he doesn't have a 8k screen, but the game is rendering at native 8K without any resolution scaling, there is an option for render scaling in the menu, but it's at 100%. It is mentioned in the video that the DSR does eat a bit of performance vs no supersampling, so on a 8k screen the performance would be slightly better.

He probably misunderstood something. The Youtuber is using nVidia DSR, as he doesn't have a 8k screen, but the game is rendering at native 8K without any resolution scaling, there is an option for render scaling in the menu, but it's at 100%. It is mentioned in the video that the DSR does eat a bit of performance vs no supersampling, so on a 8k screen the performance would be slightly better.

I didn't realise DSR reduced performance over the same native resolution. I use it myself a lot, good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back