Nvidia Ampere Discussion [2020-05-14]

Well, i work for a computer shop in europe since 2003, and honestly, never saw anything like this regarding supply, never even close for any launch in the past, its very very limited. They should have waited for this launch.

Is your shop one of the bigger ones? I assume smaller shops are getting shafted even more than usual.

Is your shop one of the bigger ones? I assume smaller shops are getting shafted even more than usual.
Small one, but anyway i know manufacturers (AIB) numbers in my country too, and i can assure this launch is the worst ever, not sure even if we can consider this a launch, definitely paper launch fits much better this time, cause even if the product exists, it only does on paper for most.

6 weeks since 3080s supposed launch, and more than 90% of the customers are still waiting for it, some of those since more than a month ago. 3090 could be better cause demand is low, and 3070 maybe a bit better, but also very bad even after 2 weeks delay.
Demand is high no doubt, but i wouldn´t say higher than for Pascal in 2016/2017, supply is much much worse, maybe even 1/10th of pascals on launch..

Last edited:
I think its a combination of supply shortage but also demand

https://videocardz.com/newz/zotac-r...geforce-rtx-3080-trinity-through-amazon-alone

The 3070 stock here in Sweden was much better than 80-90 series. Every store had more than 20+ cards of every brand and model. I f5:ed like a madman at 14:00 and got confirmation 14:02 but even then im on backorder!! The cards went in seconds. And the worst is that MSRP prices were offered for the first 50 cards before the price was raised (Gigabyte had this offer)
Better, but not that much better. Proshop operates in Sweden among other countries and even with the two weeks delay they've gotten under 500 cards from over 5600 they had ordered already ages ago.
https://www.proshop.de/RTX-30series-overview

I think its a combination of supply shortage but also demand

https://videocardz.com/newz/zotac-r...geforce-rtx-3080-trinity-through-amazon-alone

The 3070 stock here in Sweden was much better than 80-90 series. Every store had more than 20+ cards of every brand and model. I f5:ed like a madman at 14:00 and got confirmation 14:02 but even then im on backorder!! The cards went in seconds. And the worst is that MSRP prices were offered for the first 50 cards before the price was raised (Gigabyte had this offer)

The same people are probably just signing up on pre-orders everywhere until they get their card. As soon as they get the card they can just cancel all other preorders.

Well, i work for a computer shop in europe since 2003, and honestly, never saw anything like this regarding supply, never even close for any launch in the past, its very very limited. They should have waited for this launch.

MicroCenter Manager says it seems like a purposeful slow down in distribution. Channel is dry.

Either there is a manufacturing issue or perhaps new cards on the way and NVidia wants to slow-walk RTX 30 until a new stepping is out? Channel has zero feedback of when, or why. (Like NVidia is holding back, on purpose)

I wonder if NVidia is doing this, because they are waiting for 3070 saturation, or maybe waiting on AMD to fully release Navi2?

Very curious indeed. The very few 3070 cards in Finald sold out in minutes. No Nvidia cards available at all unless you want a 2060 or 2070. :???:

If you don't make good margin but have to have a product out there, one solution is to not sell a lot (until you find a way to make money on what you sell) ?

Well even if we assume that to be true, selling at some margin is better than not selling. And what magic bullet could fix it in a quarter?

Nvidia has provided certain forward looking revenue estimates to the stock exchanges and their shareholders, and they have a fiduciary duty to their shareholders. It's very unlikely (and bordering on illegal) they are artificially limiting production for whatever reason. As someone already mentioned, the earnings call is due soon, we'll have some answers then I'm sure.

Well even if we assume that to be true, selling at some margin is better than not selling. And what magic bullet could fix it in a quarter?

Nvidia has provided certain forward looking revenue estimates to the stock exchanges and their shareholders, and they have a fiduciary duty to their shareholders. It's very unlikely (and bordering on illegal) they are artificially limiting production for whatever reason. As someone already mentioned, the earnings call is due soon, we'll have some answers then I'm sure.

I don't think Ampere would really significantly impact Q3 even if supply is as bad as it seems. It's not like they stopped selling everything else.

I don't think Ampere would really significantly impact Q3 even if supply is as bad as it seems. It's not like they stopped selling everything else.

Meaning professional and data center products? Gaming is around half their revenue and TU102 and TU104 parts are EOL and sold out everywhere. If they have no product to sell I don’t know how they will have a strong quarter.

Meaning professional and data center products? Gaming is around half their revenue and TU102 and TU104 parts are EOL and sold out everywhere. If they have no product to sell I don’t know how they will have a strong quarter.

Yea TU102 and 104 supply would have stopped by around mid Q3 or so and they'd have started shipping GA102 to partners. There is the laptop segment in addition to professional and HPC, where Nvidia does have near market dominance but I don't know if that's enough to make up for the shortfall in desktop. Agreed that it's probably not going to be a strong quarter.

RTX A6000 will use GDDR6.

I thought it was interesting that in the Ampere whitepaper Nvidia clearly noted that GA104 can use GDDR6X as well, so it only makes sense that GA102 can go the other way. Sounds like they designed the memory controller blocks so that they're capable of both. Makes sense given that GDDR6X is so similar to regular GDDR6 - probably required very little area to make it backwards compatible with GDDR6 too.

Also means that if GA104 is even a little bit bandwidth bound, it's very easy for Nvidia to add another SKU above the 3070 using GA104 but with GDDR6X to combat AMD's launch.

Last edited:
Also means that if GA104 is even a little bit bandwidth bound, it's very easy for Nvidia to add another SKU above the 3070 using GA104 but with GDDR6X to combat AMD's launch.

It probably doesn't make sense to think of it in those terms anymore. Modern games are probably "everything" bound.

I was playing around a bit more with the Nsight profiler on my 1650 super in Doom. Flops per byte is about the same as the higher end cards so would expect similar behavior. This was just one frame from one game and there wasn't a lot happening on screen at the time but my high level observations were:

- the bottleneck shifts many times during the rendering of a single frame.
- the bottleneck is almost never FP32 ALUs.
- when shaders are running full tilt the texture units and L1 cache are usually also maxed out.
- peak integer ALU utilization was ~30%.
- L2 hit rates are pretty good (over 70%) for most of the frame.

Here are a few interesting samples to help demonstrate the point.

zpass.png

vram.png

frontend.png

alu-tex.png

alu.png

int.png

Amazon EC2 P4d instances deep dive
November 2, 2020
AWS is excited to announce that the new Amazon EC2 P4d instances are now generally available. This instance type brings additional benefits with 2.5x higher deep learning performance; adding to the accelerated instances portfolio, new features, and technical breakthroughs that our customers can benefit from with this latest technology. This blog post details some of those key features and how to integrate them into your current workloads and architectures.
TF32 is a new 19 bit precision datatype from NVIDIA introduced for the first time for the p4d.24xlarge instance. This datatype improves performance with little to no loss of training and validation accuracy for most mainstream models. We have more detailed benchmarks for individual algorithms. But, on the p4d.24xlarge you can achieve approximately a 2.5 fold increase compared to FP32 on the p3dn.24xlarge for mainstream deep learning models.
https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/compute/amazon-ec2-p4d-instances-deep-dive/

Back