Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Very disappointing with this sony behaviour change to vr, I really hoped for full vr support in gt7 in 2021 (also thought psvr2 will be end of 2021)

So the only way to play PSVR titles on PS5 is if they don't get PS5 patches?

That’s not to say though that the PS4 versions couldn’t still perform better in compatibility mode. And many titles won’t get a full PS5 version. Just a BC patch with potentially performance enhancement.

Like I said before the games that get a proper PS5 release and have PSVR features but aren’t an exclusive game are the problem areas atm.

So the only way to play PSVR titles on PS5 is if they don't get PS5 patches?
No. PS5 patches (as in something that will make PS4 games run better in PS5) is okay. PS5 version of any game that has VR on the PS4 will not have VR for the PS5 version. Currently PSVR is only available in BC mode.

No. PS5 patches (as in something that will make PS4 games run better in PS5) is okay. PS5 version of any game that has VR on the PS4 will not have VR for the PS5 version. Currently PSVR is only available in BC mode.

Isn't that the same thing I asked? If the game has VR on PS4 but gets a PS5 patch then it won't work.

No it is more that if a game also gets a full PS5 release that the problems arise.

No it is more that if a game also gets a full PS5 release that the problems arise.

So how many different levels of PS5 patches are there -- Full, Mostly, Half, Partial, Few?

Just one. There is a patch for PS4 games that keep their PS4 game id.

You are confusing what is essentially a licence upgrade to a new game id for a PS5 release with a patch for the PS4 release that improves performance on a PS5 much like a PS4 Pro patch.

Just one. There is a patch for PS4 games that keep their PS4 game id.

You are confusing what is essentially a licence upgrade to a new game id for a PS5 release with a patch for the PS4 release that improves performance on a PS5 much like a PS4 Pro patch.
Isn't the free PS5 upgrade patch the same as buying the PS5 version? That's what BRiT is wondering about as far as supporting PSVR.

Oh, its what Rurouni said that confused me. So Rurouni meant was if the game got a PS4 patch when he said "PS5 Patch", so it slightly tweaks the PS4 code to be more compatible with the PS5 BC attempt.

How you explained it makes sense to me.

It seems PS5 have zero compatibility with PSVR. so to use PSVR it must run in PS4 BC mode.

That's could be why no man's sky PS5 version doesn't support PSVR despite the PS4 version supports PSVR.

no man's sky and hitman 3 will have free PS5 upgrade, but if you upgrade to get better graphics you lose the VR mode.
so no use of the ps5 power to get supersampled graphics on PSVR
which sucks bad, because PSVR games are blurry and jaggy as f*ck now compared to even native quest 2 games.

no man's sky and hitman 3 will have free PS5 upgrade, but if you upgrade to get better graphics you lose the VR mode.
so no use of the ps5 power to get supersampled graphics on PSVR
which sucks bad, because PSVR games are blurry and jaggy as f*ck now compared to even native quest 2 games.

Don't they will have 2 different SKU? So you can have duplicated install.

One for PS5 upgrade, one other for PS4 version.

Edit: I mean maybe like GOTY games that have different SKU than standard version. Instead of using the same SKU but with added dlc licenses.

Edit: should be easy to check when the PS store page for nms PS5 goes online

Last edited:
Like I said before the games that get a proper PS5 release and have PSVR features but aren’t an exclusive game are the problem areas atm.
But then we could expect a PSVR2 update for those games, so... Try enjoying your PS4 untouched version with PSVR or wait for PSVR2. I don't think it's the end of the world, the mere fact of being able to play PS4 games in PS5 is already something to be thankful for (bearing in mind how BC works these days).

Does psvr games run better in ps5 bc mode? DF looked at regular games, some did others did not. But have anybody looked at psvr games and written/youtube the results?

PSVR games already have high framerates and very stable at hitting them. You still get the Peo updates and the load times as mentioned in the article above.

But since that article there have been two games that were patched to perform better on PS5, like London Heist and Firewall: Zero Hour ircc.

Back