Can you use a VPN on your mobile for a PS4?

Roger Cobb

Regular
Like, say you had the Wi-Fi hotspot feature enabled on your mobile, and you connected to the Internet on a PS4 that way. I've got unlimited data, so it's fine.

Or do you have to do this with some kind of router that redirects your traffic through a VPN installed on your PC? My phone is not rooted, but I wondered if there was an easier method.

Hopefully, it's not a complicated procedure.

Usually it's to access content that isn't available in their own country.

The question isn't very clear though. I suppose Davros is wondering why OP needs a VPN when the question reads more like can I use my phone as I wifi hotspot for a PS4.

You can run a VPN app and hotspot at the same time on a Android phone so I suppose a PS4 should be able to connect just fine.

By the way, how useful are VPNs for accessing region locked content? At least in case of for example Netflix or Steam store only using a VPN doesn't really work.

It's just for anonymity more than anything. Although it could prove to be useful for obtaining early release DLC for games, as Australia and New Zealand typically get this hours before the United States or the UK. ️

It's not because of Sony. I would just prefer to avoid my IP address being known by idiots on gaming forums.

While I like forums, you don't know who's who half of the time. So it's better not to reveal your real name or ISP online to just anyone.

Your IP alone doesn't necessarily say an awful lot. Chances are your ISP doesn't even give you a static IP. Also apart from the server/board admin nobody is going to have access to your IP.

I also still don't see how your PS4 connecting to a WiFi hotspot has anything to do with a VPN :p

It's just for anonymity more than anything. Although it could prove to be useful for obtaining early release DLC for games, as Australia and New Zealand typically get this hours before the United States or the UK. ️
Your IP alone doesn't necessarily say an awful lot. Chances are your ISP doesn't even give you a static IP. Also apart from the server/board admin nobody is going to have access to your IP.

I also still don't see how your PS4 connecting to a WiFi hotspot has anything to do with a VPN :p

with VPN you probably gonna have better DDOS protection as their network and firewall is way better, usually.

only issue for P2P games like Destiny 2 that makes the client can see each player's IP address.

currently only Steam that's able to mask client IP address.

btw sony used to do IP ban and have issue with carrier-level NAT. I used to need to restart my ONT multiple times just to get a clean IP address. Solved via renting static IP address tho hahaha.

Well, I'm faced with another issue.

I have an Ethernet cable, which I'm using to connect to my PS4 with Wi-Fi from my mobile phone. For some reason, I can sometimes get connected right away. Tonight, I cannot connect at all. If you want to know what settings I use, I use the 'Automatic' option with a LAN cable. But tonight, it's refusing to connect. :(

I use Wi-Fi from my phone. I have the unlimited data package from Giffgaff. So I use the hotspot to connect my other devices (laptop and gaming consoles) to the Internet from my phone.

Using an Ethernet cable to use a VPN on a laptop is necessary, because you cannot install a VPN on a console itself. But there's a problem where if you attempt to connect, it won't do it. So I discovered you have to disable sharing and then tick the box again. This seems to rectify the problem.

I was hours a few nights ago trying to fathom everything out. So I kind of just discovered it by chance. Which people shouldn't have to do. But whatever. I am not technically sufficient in how I explain everything.

Back