Watch Dogs: Legion [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC]

kids happy with candy pack for each one, when counting candies, one pack has one more than the other, and the meltdowns begin.

Anyone else notice that some of the reflections (in puddles) are not totally fluid when they change as you move...

like this scene:

Watch on larger view and stare at the puddles ahead. It's like either the reflection doesn't change totally smoothly when you move..maybe the resolution of the puddle is low and refines as you get closer or something?

Or BVH isnt rebuilt constantly because that takes a lot of performance, so you get some stale RT in order to hit performance targets?
that makes sense to me. You can try to update the BVH every frame but they may not. It's nice that you can perform a BVH update via async, which i expect to be the normal method. But perhaps not enough cycles to keep it up, or they can push the CPU to do it.

See this is why the use of RT has to be done smartly and probably quite subtly. If the end result is no better than if you used traditional methods.... then the performance hit brought on by using it certainly ain't worth it...

It's going be finding where it's best used to get the "best bang for buck"...

See this is why the use of RT has to be done smartly and probably quite subtly. If the end result is no better than if you used traditional methods.... then the performance hit brought on by using it certainly ain't worth it...

It's going be finding where it's best used to get the "best bang for buck"...
well, the trade off seems fairly simple.

if your game has no needs of dynamic lighting/shadows etc than what we've been doing so far, then traditional methods make sense. We've gone through an insane number of generations of static content, and we're really good at it.
but with RT you can now get higher quality dynamic content, but the cost is enormous. It's a developer choice here on what makes the most sense, but I would prefer dynamic content even if it's compromised.

I welcome a change for more dynamic content. It plays better with dynamic/destructible environments.

They must have chosen the best footages for Xsx capture because it looks better than most of the RTX footages I've seen.

@Dictator I know you guys are probably swamped, but any chance you'll do a short video on the vid?

Last edited:
I’m not a fan of RT for reflections. The performance cost is immense and it doesn't improve the end result nearly enough to be worth it. GI in Metro is still the only game where I’d use RTX with current GPU performances.

They must have chosen the best footages for Xsx capture because it looks better than most of the RTX footages I've seen.

we'll just have to wait for the official version.
will be interesting to see if the SSD will make a difference in asset quality here.

and 30fps ;) get that cinematic effect

Thanks to @chris1515 for linking me this thread. I counted another frame here later in the Trailer and got a 7/10 count, so slightly above 1440p once. So Yeah, "4K"
Temporal upsampling +DRS is really nice and all, but Yeah, Marketing is going to be playing it fast and loose with calling games 4K when really... They are not 4K in that strickt sense.

But hey! This is good news - as it means pigs do not fly and the GPUs here are performing like they should. It turns out ray tracing is expensive when you do it in a through way? Who woulda thunk it?

Bingo! Temper expectations folks...

4k.
videoplayback.webm_20201031_102744.772.jpg videoplayback.webm_20201031_102625.665 (1).jpg 20201031103015.png
~1440p.
videoplayback.webm_20201031_103026.111.jpg videoplayback.webm_20201031_102417.746.jpg videoplayback.webm_20201031_101937.601.jpg
Seems easy to know how it archive 4k and how it dropped to 1440p ish.

Attachments

• videoplayback.webm_20201031_102625.665.jpg
    videoplayback.webm_20201031_102625.665.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 36
  • unknown-2.png
    unknown-2.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 36
  • unknown (3).png
    unknown (3).png
    46.6 KB · Views: 36
I am sorry, but that's simply not true, not from that footage. I pixel counted one image happening during night and now 3 images happening during day. They are all around 1440p. My opinion is that as far as I can tell from this footage, this game is locked 1440p without any dynamic resolution. Here are 2 new images I have looked at:

NLpdH0e.png

lAZ5qWD.jpg

This one was quite difficult I estimate it at around 1400p (because of the very low quality, but it's most probably 1440p like the others).

PTiiA9N.png

YWq2uPV.jpg

@Dictator I know you guys are probably swamped, but any chance you'll do a short video on the vid?
I am going to wait for the full game to come out and do the comp directly on hardware - try and get the exact settings XSX runs in PC and then compare the performance in scenes to PC GPUs.

These look much better than the ingame screenshots at the top of this page

eg this one you're not gonna think the buildings hewre are photos

https://i.imgur. com/lAZ5qWD.jpg (delete space before com and copy paste to new window)
interesting whats with the recurring dark spots on top left in windows, I would say they were lowquality raytracing samples artifacts, but it looks like they are repeated in each window? So I have no idea

Last edited:
digital foundry was laughing at the idea that xbox would offer r/t not so long ago.
now, suddenly the very first console launch game that offers r/t and is crossgen multiplatform gets to be the yardstick to judge what are the gpu limits?
I don't know about that @Dictator ...

Back