Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
DF unboxes both consoles and compares size:
Nice video! Richard's unintended funny faces were a plus, too. Regarding the PS5's stand... It looks a bit weird, but I guess it also helps the console to stay cool (they didn't mention anything about it), since the air can flow underneath it.

PS: @London Geezer not liking a post with a size comparison? How disappointing!

Something I want to share on behalf of DF - since non subscribers can't see it; but I hope this puts to rest any commentary around bias and the work that they do. Not so much for this forum, but eyes looking in.

Question for the DF Team @digitalfoundry @dark1x @DF Will (@wsjudd) @Alex Battaglia - do Game Developers ever contract Digital Foundry to assist with performance analysis prior to shipping their games? Has this happened yet?

dark1x Today at 6:50 AM

@ZildjianMan5589 Yes. This has happened multiple times.
[6:51 AM] I think the biggest one which we talked about before was God of War
[6:51 AM] Which has a serious performance bug when we got it
[6:51 AM] I had to get on the phone with Sony Santa Monica and provide the data showcasing the issue
[6:51 AM] They ended up finding the bug and patching it in
[6:52 AM] This is an example of something where, if we hadn't flagged it before hand, users would have had a worse experience.
[6:52 AM] I'm sure some outlets would use this as a 'gotcha' and just slam the game at launch but that's not what we're about. We want to help developers and players alike while showcasing the cool stuff they do.

Patitoloco Today at 6:56 AM

That's awesome @dark1x
[6:56 AM] You were able to say similar things on your visit to Crytek as well right?

dark1xToday at 6:56 AM

Yeah but, alas, they weren't able to solve the issues
[6:56 AM] We gave a ton of feedback
[6:57 AM] Thankfully, and we'll do a vid soon, Crysis Remastered runs like a dream on XSX
[6:57 AM] 100% Locked 60fps even in the village in performance mode
[6:57 AM] 4K mode is also locked 30 without any issues
[6:57 AM] Loading is much faster too!

Last edited:
[6:57 AM] Thankfully, and we'll do a vid soon, Crysis Remastered runs like a dream on XSX
[6:57 AM] 100% Locked 60fps even in the village in performance mode
[6:57 AM] 4K mode is also locked 30 without any issues
[6:57 AM] Loading is much faster too!
I can't remember how it ran on 1X, but this is the minimum uptick I would expect.

Are my expectations too high or dark1x low?

I think it ran poorly lol
I expect pretty much any game regardless how poorly it ran, to run maxed on XSX.

Apart from pretty much severely broken games, something like that batman game that's locked to 45. Hopefully VRR helps that.

The ending sounded exciting “there will be surprises!”

Yes. In my head I am expecting multiplatform games to punch above their weight on PS5 because the tools haven’t changed, it was easy to continue building on existing game engines and the time to pixel was low (2 months if I remember), whereas Microsoft started with their new multi-console targeting platform.

That, or the HDMI cable included with the PS5 actually isn’t a high speed cable.

I can't remember how it ran on 1X, but this is the minimum uptick I would expect.

Are my expectations too high or dark1x low?
For just BC mode, yes, your expectations are to high ;)
For a xsx patch, I would expect more. 4k 60 should be doable without a problem. After all it is still crysis and has a problem with single thread performance. If the performance mode can reach 60, the cpu part is good enough. And the GPU part should also be good enough to get double the performance. Like in many games out there, an unlocked quality mode would be sufficient for a big next-gen increase with minimal effort from the developers.
But a patch that really uses the new hardware e.g. for RT etc. would be much better.
But if I look at the PC version, I am somehow skeptical that there will happen that much. Somehow 60fps on PC side is still a problem.

That, or the HDMI cable included with the PS5 actually isn’t a high speed cable.
PS5 includes this in the box. HDMI sold separately.

616FBmZI9AL._AC_SY355_.jpg

PS: Who else remembers this???? The original PS2 cable. Classic.

For just BC mode, yes, your expectations are to high ;)
To be clear, I'm talking if the max DR was 1440p60 then it should be able to max it out.
Few games ran so poorly that this shouldn't be the case.
Unless your talking uncapped framerate that was meant to hit 30, but on next gen is now closer to 60.

We'll see if I they was too high soon enough i guess, :LOL:

I'm really interested in system enhanced stuff though. Xbox BC team has done some wondrous things.

Watch Dogs Legion Comparison - Current gen consoles

Temporal upscaling, dynamic res, 30fps target (adaptive sync)

XO - 684-900p, lower quality SSR than OneX, some framerate drops
OneX - 1440p up to 2016p (guess they didn't find a 4K instance), some framerate drops
PS4 - 864-1080p, minor framerate drops
4Pro - 1296-1620p, not as many framerate drops as other platforms observed

Next-gen version should be interesting with settings...

Last edited:
Watch Dogs Legion Comparison - Current gen consoles

Temporal upscaling, dynamic res,

XO - 684-900p, lower quality SSR than OneX
OneX - 1440p up to 2016p (guess they didn't find a 4K instance)
PS4 - 864-1080p
4Pro - 1296-1620p

Next-gen version should be interesting with settings...

Might have to pick this up for my OneS so I can game in 684P!! :oops: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back