Dirt 5 [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC]

You just couldn't leave it be could you :runaway:

To be clear this is it running on PC. Therefore statement not applicable. :LOL:
its not =P
because I don't care that it was on a console ;) it was more unfair to codemasters than it was to xbox. xbox is nothing more than hardware. What it's capable of is completely locked in stone. It just felt exceptionally cruel to poke at Dirt 5 as a method of smashing xbox. As John said in a couple of tweets:

games have very different targets and requirements and needs etc. Time and budget is not the only thing that will get you across the finish line. Everything has to come together to make a game look great and we can see here; this small codemasters team has been busy.

I just felt bad for them, I don't mind they slay xbox studios, but it just felt unfair to these guys being a smaller studio and just getting caught in crossfire.

I really hope this title shines graphically at release. But perhaps also a lesson in being very specific about releasing incomplete games to youtubers.

Last edited:
Oh god I was joking, but didn't like that it got dragged into here.
Guess this might have to be another thread I need to keep out off. Unless it can be deemed very far off topic with an already created thread dedicated to it.

Hence why I'm not going to respond to your actual views/points.

Oh god I was joking, but didn't like that it got dragged into here.
Guess this might have to be another thread I need to keep out off. Unless it can be deemed very far off topic with an already created thread dedicated to it.

Hence why I'm not going to respond to your actual views/points.
its fine I'm done.
water under the bridge now. There's no point in continuing this over here. Hopefully the game turns out well.

placing this here incase it gets buried in other threads.

Great technical overview of the items they worked on for this game.
Summary of features presented:
* Ray Traced Shadows leveraged Radeon Shadow Denoiser
* Global Voxel Cone GI & Weather effects that affect the track
* VRS
* Radeon Ambient Occlusion
* Volumetric Fog
* Radeon Fidelity Effects
* Temporal Antialiasing

looking forward to seeing how many of these features of this mobile game are transferred over to the consoles

This game does indeed have a long and sophisticated set of technical features, as I would have expected. But they still don't seem to add up to something cohesive nor pleasant looking and not even technically-impressive-looking in the end.

Laundry lists are impressive on paper, but they have to come together into a final result. Unfortunately, here the final result is underwelming, even for a ps4/xbone level game. They must have some very talented engineers and technical arists on their team, and it sucks that this happened to their project, but sill, man, something went wrong with this title.

Last edited:
This game does indeed have a long and sophisticated set of technical features, as I would have expected. But they still don't seem to add up to something cohesive nor pleasant looking and not even technically-impressive-looking in the end.

Laundry lists are impressive on paper, but they have to come together into a final result. Unfortunately, here the final result is underwelming, even for a ps4/xbone level game. They must have some very talented engineers and technical arists on their team, and it sucks that this happened to their project, but sill, man, something went wrong with this title.
I do believe that this particular title may suffer greatly compared to others with respect to video compression issues. You take fine details cover it in volumetric dirt and dust on the track and everything starts looking “samey”. I’ll reserve my judgement to see it raw. But this should look great on a native feed.

The rest of it; art direction etc. Yea nothing we can do. But art direction isn’t what eats up GPU resources, the technical underpinnings do.
You are probably right that baked lights would be superior in the end, at least in glimpses, but this is dynamic weather, light and track. So perhaps there is a trade there of graphical fidelity for dynamic gameplay variety.

Yeah, it looks awesome.

Considering it's crossgen, does that mean we can use DS4 on PS5? I ordered a second DualSense, only we'll have more than two people wanting to play on Xmas day...

Considering it's crossgen, does that mean we can use DS4 on PS5? I ordered a second DualSense, only we'll have more than two people wanting to play on Xmas day...
Only PS4 games in B/C mode support DualShock 4. I imagine it'l be next to impossible to run Dirt 5 in this mode becuase it will presumably auto-update to the PS5 enhanced version then be locked to the DualSense controller.

I supposed you could try pre-order Dirt 5 on PS4, download it (PS4 version), back it up to a HDD, then on Christmas Day, restore the PS4 game backup from HDD to PS5 and disable the internet(!) :runaway:

Yeah, it looks awesome.

I think you would need DS5. The software would upgrade to ps5 for free. It’s not a split sku in terms of pricing.
The real question is: if you have a steering wheel, do you go with that or play with DS5? That haptic and adaptive trigger stuff could be pretty great on a game like this where the track is always changing and bumpy etc.

I think you would need DS5. The software would upgrade to ps5 for free. It’s not a split sku in terms of pricing.
The real question is: if you have a steering wheel, do you go with that or play with DS5? That haptic and adaptive trigger stuff could be pretty great on a game like this where the track is always changing and bumpy etc.
Not only that. But imagine the feedback it can give you in games like F1 or GTS. Currently there is not much feedback when you turn, brake or accelerate (only noise), so you need to use the ABS and ASR (I do). But it could be much improved with DS feedback. We could be able to feel much precisely just before the tyres block, slide or slip with the Dual Sense !

Review thread courtesy of Resetera

https://www.resetera.com/threads/dirt-5-review-thread-dirty-projections.317875/

The series XS and PS5 are still under embargo until later this week. All reviews are current gen and PC.

really curious to see that ps5 review now and find out what they did with the controller. Will still use wheel however; force feedback, pedal control and steering is superior to haptics.

Eurogamer:
It looks lush, basically, and in the frequent spectacle of Dirt 5 you see a little of Codemasters Cheshire's DNA shining through. You might know the developer under its previous guise of Codemasters Evo, or going even further back as simple Evolution Studios, and you can see so much of its history bubbling up throughout Dirt 5. There's that scrappiness to the racing familiar from MotorStorm (underserved by a fairly limp damage system here, I'm sad to say), and a technical prowess and affinity for atmospherics that's familiar from DriveClub. Dirt 5 can regularly be a real looker.

That's most explicit when events whisk through dynamic time and weather, letting you see the sun set over an ice-coated Norwegian village, or later allowing you to race under the northern lights. The track design plays beautifully into all that, giving you lofty views of a town you'll soon race through, or simply winding their way up into a gloriously detailed night sky. Even on the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro on which this was reviewed (impressions of the next-gen versions are embargoed until a little later this week), Dirt 5 frequently impresses, running at a reasonably steady 60fps.

Last edited:
IGN with the PC Dirt 5 gameplay. They are still using bad video compression.

Sounds like they have more work to do here:

Since the game appears to be really heavy on the GPU, we’ve decided to test its different graphics presets in 4K. The good news here is that the RTX2080Ti was able to push an average of 65fps in 4K/High. There were some initial drops to 55fps, but those drops are due to the game being unable to fully utilize the GPU at the start of a race. Furthermore, the game’s Medium/Low settings scale incredibly and provide noticeable performance increases. It’s also worth noting that even on Medium settings, the game looks good.

really curious to see that ps5 review now and find out what they did with the controller. Will still use wheel however; force feedback, pedal control and steering is superior to haptics.
You may be right, but your dismissing something you're not tried isn't very open-minded! :nope:

You may be right, but your dismissing something you're not tried isn't very open-minded! :nope:
Hehe. Sorry didn’t mean it like the controller wouldn’t be as good.
I mean the inputs wouldn’t be equivalent. I have found I can drive really well with a controller, high powered cars etc. Never spin out. Once I use a wheel, I’m terrible. So the controller is doing something, making up for my weaknesses and mistakes in my steering and gas inputs.

so I’m not learning a skill that I could transfer to real life as I’m not really understanding what skills I need to actually drive a car quickly well

You may be right, but you're dismissing something you've not tried isn't very open-minded! :nope:
A little help since I noticed you've done the same thing before. ;)

you're - you are
you've - you have
your - if you own something, it is your item

Last edited:
Back