Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, you're right. We can only speculate on what they meant. The PS5 should be slower.

I can imagine the BC of PS5 working well, since the hardware is so similar only at a much higher frequency.
It's more so based on the original game.
There's many XO games that are 900p DR with inconsistent fps. The best XS can do is make the fps better and lock to 900p. This isn't including the BC enhanced titeles they've not told us about yet.

On PS4 the same games are usually 1080p DR, on PS5 those games will run and look better as it will lock to 1080p with solid fps.

But this shouldn't in itself be a big surprise, just a known quirk.

Can't wait, unlike Sony and MS I have more confidence that DF wouldn't pull a bait and switch like the xbox shows etc.

Or like Digitalfoundry told about platform comparison, there will be surprise.
I wouldn't hold you breath on Sony sharing this, maybe folks will piece it together from development comments but otherwise the performance of games will need to tell this story.

It'll be interesting to revisit the deltas between launch titles and actual next gen titles in a few years.

I'm thinking that launch window (perhaps even the first 12 months) won't be the best for showing off XSX. MS are coming into this with their dev kits and development environment well behind Sony. Spring / Summer 2020 is too late to integrate all the custom features into multi-year games development.

I could see many (most?) launch window games not using DirectStorage (legacy mode is fast enough for cross gen), not using SFS and loading entire mips (they have enough memory to skip it), and only a handful of titles will use VRS if they're in the minority that have been built to support it via Direct X on Nvidia cards (and Gears Tactics is only Tier 1, which is sometimes not so impressive). Even RT is coming after PS5 as a patch for some games.

Meanwhile, MS have changed development environments from Xbox specific to more general one which some developers are fine with, but others don't know and so understandably dislike, particularly at a time like this.

Even if Sony don't have features like VRS and SFS and significantly accelerated inference stuff, if MS aren't actually showing it because games aren't using it yet, to customers it's understandably like that performance doesn't exist. Meanwhile, Sony may be more polished, showing a more next gen look (e.g. RT in Spiderman), and benefiting from probably the highest GPU boosting games of the generation, and with their full SSD experience against a probably rather more limited use of "Velocity Architecture".

Perhaps I'm being a little pessimistic for XSX in its early days, but there's a lot be said for strong performance right out of the box. Having a nitro attachment for your racing car must be great, but less so if they only fit it during your first pit stop so you can't use if off the grid.

I can’t fathom another surprise. Lol. This drip feed has killed all feeling of care for “and one more thing”.
I just have a bit more faith in DF that it will be worth the wait, hoping not long.
But it's been a painful time.

I've pretty much given up on MS and especially Sony at this point, where I've resigned myself to having to wait until release.

I just have a bit more faith in DF that it will be worth the wait, hoping not long.
But it's been a painful time.

I've pretty much given up on MS and especially Sony at this point, where I've resigned myself to having to wait until release.
lol agreed. I’m actually hyped. Damn you Richard! I trust you!!!

Reactions: Jay
Edit: those posts are before they received a PS5, don't think we can derive much from it.

Why would John basically say that the statement from the other guy was incorrect without any factual information backing it up?
He might even mean that xsx does not do real raytraceing either. But I doubt that he would publicly state something if it was knowingly wrong or pure guess work on either console. Regardless of having the console or not.
It would be detrimental to DF, would it not?

From this, it was confirmed that 2022 was included.
AMD's projections tend to be conservative so it could be earlier or, barring a delay more serious than they expect, up to the end of 2022.

I'm aware that this is what Anandtech has been told, but it's not what's been happening in practice. These are the roadmaps shown during 2019:

BLq9Sep.jpg
81634tG.jpg

Both Zen 3 and RDNA2 are releasing their first models before 2021.
As such, it's reasonable to expect RDNA3 on 5nm to release before 2022, even if AMD don't want to compromise on that.

Edit: those posts are before they received a PS5, don't think we can derive much from it.

If Sony haven't used used full RDNA2 then it may be they've developed a completely custom RT solution of their own that's more performant than that in RDNA2. Admittedly it seems a little unlikely that Sony could tack RT onto AMD's architecture and it end up being better than AMD's own implementation, but it's possible.

If Sony haven't used used full RDNA2 then it may be they've developed a completely custom RT solution of their own that's more performant than that in RDNA2. Admittedly it seems a little unlikely that Sony could tack RT onto AMD's architecture and it end up being better than AMD's own implementation, but it's possible.
According to RGT they have designed (or co-designed) their own Geometry Engine and it will be included into RDNA3. This is most probably what Cerny was talking about in his Road to PS5.

They also have their own version of VRS (using the new GE) which should be a better way to do it than MS's VRS.

But I doubt that he would publicly state something if it was knowingly wrong or pure guess work on either console. Regardless of having the console or not.
The thing is he didn't state anything of the sort. That's just you trying to read between the lines.

He never said anything either way, only that who knows how things are going to perform yet. Especially for launch period games

I seem to recall Cerny stating that it was standard RDNA2 RT during the Road to PS5 video. I guess frequency proportional to render resolution might put Sony ahead when they're rendering at a lower resolution?

I can't see how it'd perform directly equivalent to XSX unless the APIs are really behind on Xbox?

Reactions: snc
The thing is he didn't state anything of the sort. That's just you trying to read between the lines.

He never said anything either way, only that who knows how things are going to perform yet. Especially for launch period games

I do belive I read the lines and not between them in this instance. :D

1. Jap says only xbox does real raytracing
2. John says both consoles does support this.
3. Jap says that John is being factious and that only Xbox supports real raytracing.
4. John answers the above line with wait and see.

Now line 4, yes this is my interpretation, is that line 3 is wrong and the proof of that will come later.
It does not claim that PS5 supports real raytracing nor that Xbox supports it.
But if you go back to line 2, then that claims both consoles does real raytracing.

It's not who knows how tings might end up, John is saying that Jap is wrong and the proof will come later.
The big caveat is that I am not a native english speaker, but I still feel I got this one reasonably right.

I can't see how it'd perform directly equivalent to XSX unless the APIs are really behind on Xbox?
It's very possible that xbox GDK is pretty far behind, and not just specifically for the new headline features either.

I don't really want to bring Dirt 5 up, but did the XSX version look to have implemented all the things that was highlighted by code masters?
Not saying if it hasn't, won't be there in a patch.
not who knows how tings might end up, John is saying that Jap is wrong and the proof will come later.
We know both support hardware RT, the only thing we don't know is the performance and if there's any tweaks to implementation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back