Gran Turismo Sport [PS4]

With the DS4 I would play with TC on 2 or 1 however with the SW I either have TC off or on 1 depending on the car. I finished all the Circuit Experience when I bought the game. My original time with the controller on The Ring was just under the Gold time. :) However I played a bunch with the DS4 on the Ring and with the Porsche GT3 I got low 6m4x. I have my YT video on the Ring with the DS4 and with the G29.
Well, I finally did it. I barely squeaked under the Circuit Experience (M6 GT3) Gold time with a 6:56 with a DS4. I “know” the sections but still forget their order, so I’ll miss a corner or two every so often. Really fun time trial track. I can’t wait to build up my VR legs to take a bunch of nice looking cars out on it. It would be cool if GT7 can gin up a version of TF (I’ve been watching too many Misha Charoudin videos).

The VR perspective in GTS is weird. Everything seems slightly too small and the head position is always too low, meaning I have to reset the view every time. Despite that and the low res, it’s still cool lapping the ‘ring. Maybe the default car settings are more forgiving in VR, but I seemed to make fewer mistakes in difficult corners with the same circuit experience M6. I was 10s slower, which may be down to me already forgetting some sequences and possibly different tires.

Now that I know the track, I can better appreciate the huuuge shunt Toto Wolff (current Mercedes F1 team principal) took when trying to set the lap record in a 911 RSR (~GT3+) in 2009. He had just done the GT record at 7:03 and was trying for a sub 7:00. His right rear wheel broke and he bounced between the guardrails at a very high speed section of the track (Fuchsröhre, or foxhole). Jeepers, as Hulkenberg might say. ;)

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/i...-toto-wolff-lap-record-huge-crash-nurburgring

The video from the story:

The VR perspective in GTS is weird. Everything seems slightly too small and the head position is always too low, meaning I have to reset the view every time. [/MEDIA]

when you reset the view, bend down a little, so when you go back to normal position you'll be higher placed in the car, driveclub was nice for this, you could setup horizontal and vertical position in the car manually before each race.

when you reset the view, bend down a little, so when you go back to normal position you'll be higher placed in the car, driveclub was nice for this, you could setup horizontal and vertical position in the car manually before each race.
Yeah, there’s a lot of hunching over at the start of a lap. Weird there’s no seating position adjustment like in the regular cars (itself also annoying because I think you have to change it for each friggin’ car).

I just got a 3s penalty for not slowing under yellow flags. I didn’t think that was possible.

I’ve avoided Driveclub VR because it doesn’t look great in screenshots and I suspect it requires way stronger VR legs than I have. I can’t last too long in GTS or even Wipeout VR.

Last edited:
I just got a 3s penalty for not slowing under yellow flags. I didn’t think that was possible.

I’ve avoided Driveclub VR because it doesn’t look great in screenshots and I suspect it requires way stronger VR legs than I have. I can’t last too long in GTS or even Wipeout VR.
Yes Driveclub is faster paced than GTS. It has a full campaign mode with 8 cars races though. And a full replay mode with différent views. And you can choose your time of day too.

Yeah. I had the craziest streak of bad luck in race C, so maybe if your SR drops low enough (I hit the 40s) you can pick up a pen for that? I know people were hip-checking me off the circuit at corners and not getting a pen, while I would get SR down if I touched someone (not affecting their line) when they parked at the apex. Someone bumped me off on a straight and I got a “causing a collision” pen. It was bizarre.

I’m not the only one getting mauled by the system because there were plenty of polite drivers in the low SR races.

Edit: Last story. I had a terrible first lap, but it was topped by what happened at the last corner. It was basically three wide, so I braked early and ducked inside the other two.There may have been some brushing, but no one was pushed off their line. I run to the outside (left) and someone resets and instantly unghosts directly in front of me. I rear end him, he disappears from the server (telltale stutter) and I get hit with a penalty for forcing someone off the track. I checked my rearview to see if the other two who entered the corner with me had bit the dust, but they were side by side on the black stuff. May have been a coincidence, but surely they can list who you hit to eliminate some of the guesswork. SR 33. I probably should stop, but I have a decent qually time. :)

Last edited:
Daily Race B (Gr. 3 in Alsace) is pretty good fun. The consensus seems to favor FR cars as MRs can understeer at the uphill left at the end if the lap. Still the odd BS penalty (like, say, if you exit the last corner to find someone perpendicular to traffic but not yet ghosted and get a 4s pen for pushing someone off track when he was already in the barrier), but there are a lot of safe overtaking opportunities.

Race C (Gr. 2s in Suzuka) looks like fun, too, but I haven’t committed to it. Supposedly the optimal strat is 4-4-2 soft-soft-mediumecause you only lose 4s in the pits.

PD also dropped update 1.62, which add the GR Yaris and some minor updates including to the light contact penalities(!). I’ll see what happens if I can run B (and get my SR to S) again.

I’ve been playing this more lately again as well, so I noticed the update. Really enjoying the game in the new HDR light and now breezing through the last two sets of missions using motion controls just to show that they trump anything but the steering wheels (which I also have, but that playseat is damn heavy to set up, and I am really interested in getting really used to this way of driving so I can try it with adaptive triggers and haptic feedback with motion controls on PS5 later!

Yeah I saw the update earlier so did that. Haven't played but will jump in for a bit this weekend.

Now try the full track in one go with the Circuit Experience. :)

I sent you a friend request.

My final sector time was 1:12.523 - Did when I orignially played the game using a DS4.

New Record after a quick few tries with the G29.

@Globalisateur

Hamilton Challenge - Lake Maggiore

Hamilton Challenge - Nordschleife (took me about 30 minutes to get a lap in)

Last edited:
May have a go later - here I settled for gold whenever I got it even though there is obviously more time to be had ...

Note by the way that in HDR the replay mode seems to have a bug and sometimes starts with a black screen, as you can see in this video ...

Yeah I saw the update earlier so did that. Haven't played but will jump in for a bit this weekend.

Now try the full track in one go with the Circuit Experience. :)

I sent you a friend request.

My final sector time was 1:12.523 - Did when I orignially played the game using a DS4.

New Record after a quick few tries with the G29.

@Globalisateur

Hamilton Challenge - Lake Maggiore

Hamilton Challenge - Nordschleife (took me about 30 minutes to get a lap in)

Nice laps. But don't forget you are driving a car, not a lawn mower. ;-)

Unfortunately I don't have access to Lewis Hamilton DLC anymore. When I transfered my games to my new Pro, something happenned and I can't either access it nor re-buy it. :mad:

Unfortunately I don't have access to Lewis Hamilton DLC anymore. When I transfered my games to my new Pro, something happenned and I can't either access it nor re-buy it. :mad:

Try re-download from the PS Store (should be this product EP9001-CUSA02168_00-GTSAGMMDLHC00101)

Try re-download from the PS Store (should be this product EP9001-CUSA02168_00-GTSAGMMDLHC00101)
Yes I have tried that already. It's broken somehow. I have tried everything like re-activating the licenses or re-downloading the whole game with my puny internet.

I haven’t tried the Hamilton stuff yet - it seemed expensive for some time trials with ghosts. Or is it more?

I just finished the Missions, got all golds except for one in set 7-8, most of them in one or two goes, with the motion controls.

You actually get a nice credits video, and that shows that there is actually still quite a way to go in terms of computer graphics before it is really like the real thing. There are situations where it looks really good though with the HDR lighting and 1800p, but that real footage of Tokyo vs the actual game still shows that there is some room for improvement for sure.

I haven’t tried the Hamilton stuff yet - it seemed expensive for some time trials with ghosts. Or is it more?
Well if you get all gold you get $20,000,000, if you beat all Hamilton's times then you get $100,000,000 which means you can practically buy all the cars in the game.

I just finished the Missions, got all golds except for one in set 7-8, most of them in one or two goes, with the motion controls.

When you say Motion controls, you mean DS4? I did the same. I hadn't bought the game and went overseas to visit my family and my brother in law had the game. So I logged in and within 3 weeks I had all Gold for all the campaigns i.e. Driving School, Mission Challenge and Circuit Experience. All with the DS4.

When I got home, I bought the game. About a year later I bought the G29 SW.

Back