Cherno Reactions Reactions *spawn* [2020]

It was an asshole thing to say. He could have still have provided the opinion without calling it "mobile". Even if he redoes the video, the damage is already done. At the least he could say is "sorry". But in this day & age it's OK to be an asshole. :/

Tommy McClain

While this is beating a dead horse to death, however certain aspects of D5 looked like mobile rendering IMHO, from various online footage. I believe the bigger issue is, relying upon online footage as the only source material, and lacking the proper hardware tools internally on presenting such opinions and observations. Hopefully as his channel and viewership grows, he'll be able to provide more accurate and neutral observations with the correct tools in place.

So I'm a bad guy for wanting somebody to a better human. Thanks guys.

Tommy McClain

No you're not. I agree with your overall view of wanting more accurate and/or neutral observations. But as the cliché goes, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

So I'm a bad guy for wanting somebody to a better human. Thanks guys.

Tommy McClain
No one said you are a bad guy. Provide a video with Dirt 5 gameplay on the XBSX and I will ask Cherno to re-visit if you don't want to do it. Calling him an asshole, is an asshole thing to say if Cherno isn't given the chance to change his opinion.

It's also part of how things are said and what was said as a whole. I don't think cherno meant literal mobile game. But context is easily lost if people want to see agenda when there is no agenda.

Like if I bought something that is supposed to be black but is very dark blue. I might say is that thing is blue when opening box when it's not really blue as such. It's easy to put meaning there but I don't believe cherno plans his videos ahead of time and it indeed is reaction videos. It's easy to put too much meaning on single sentence. It would be different if he dissected videos offline and then presented polished and cut videos. I doubt he would have left mobile game comment on such a video. Reactions are what they are, we are people after all.

No one said you are a bad guy. Provide a video with Dirt 5 gameplay on the XBSX and I will ask Cherno to re-visit if you don't want to do it. Calling him an asshole, is an asshole thing to say if Cherno isn't given the chance to change his opinion.

If you don't already have the Digital Foundry link, then here...

Or better yet, tell him to sub to their Patreon to get the highest quality videos here...

https://www.patreon.com/bePatron?u=4357228

But with it this close to launch he might be better off waiting on the release version & doing it himself.

Tommy McClain

But context is easily lost if people want to see agenda when there is no agenda.

Here is the full context of what he used for his video title, I'm not sure there is any context to be lost for people to see how he's unprofessional.

Cherno said:
Is this a MOBILE game?? - Dirt 5 on Xbox Series X // Game Engine Developer Reacts

Here is the full context of what he used for his video title, I'm not sure there is any context to be lost for people to see how he's unprofessional.

The full context is the full reaction video. I have watched the whole video. I took that statement just as a "I can't believe how bad it looks". And to be honest that video does not look great to me either. It would be different if it wasn't uncut reaction video where he sees this thing for first time.

edit. I hope cherno does another reaction video and acknowledges previous video wasn't representative of the game.

OMG what a xbox shill...

BTW he does address the drama surrounding his Dirt 5 video.
TL;DW: he doesn't care. He only makes these videos for fun and his engine development audience asks him to.
Unlike what's been largely suggested here, he's not trying to boost his audience with shock value videos about shitting on other developers. He just doesn't care that some people are overly sensitive over his opinion on videogames.

While I’m sympathetic to his other claims, the Dirt 5 title was crafted for maximum SHOCK value. That was my main beef with it, so to speak, as I didn’t really have a problem with the video itself.

I can’t remember how much he focused on encoder quality in his previous videos, but he did mention it a lot in this one, at least as it related to what he perceived to be a film grain filter on the background haze/fog.

He also mentions that Scorn looks good even in shadow (~17:45), which I guess was his issue with DF’s Halo video? I can’t even remember Alex’s whole video, but I thought he spent it explaining why things looked as they did, not excusing why they looked bad or lacked specular highlights. If Cherno’s point was that games could look good even under the specific lighting conditions (i.e., with the lighting technology) in Halo Infinite’s gameplay clip and that’s down to art direction, I don’t think that’s at odds with DF’s video.

I appreciated his placeholder muzzle flash insight.

Speaking of not prerelease footage, I’d like to know if the slow turning was for atmosphere or to minimize screen tearing.

Also, someone point him to Gamersyde. Their Scorn clip is 6.8GB vs YouTube’s probably <=2GB.

I guess this is a game to play with headphones on and lights off because it looks boring as hell...I love the look and atmosphere though- very Alien.

While I’m sympathetic to his other claims, the Dirt 5 title was crafted for maximum SHOCK value. That was my main beef with it, so to speak, as I didn’t really have a problem with the video itself.

Maybe it wasn't crafted for maximum shock value, and it was just hyperbole with a humorous intent.
I guess this might be something of a lost in translation issue. It seems to me that many cultures other than the anglo-saxon ones use hyperbole a lot more often, and in those cultures the hyperbole isn't often interpreted with malicious intent.

I know this happens to me in this forum quite often. I use hyperbole as means to get a point across with humorous intent like I would in my country / language, and it's often taken way more seriously than I ever predicted.

I eventually found that I either need to avoid hyperbole completely, or I need to make it super obvious and followed by a smiley and/or "/s" or similar, or I'm bound to be interpreted the wrong way (which I think it's kind of boring to be honest).

Back