Shader competition

I am eager to get writing my own shaders, but I have no idea how to start.

Im sure I need some kind of developers kit, also I totally dont know how to code in direct3d or opengl. Its just shaders look like assembly language to me so its right up my street.

Can someone direct me to what i need to get?

If you just want to play around with the actual shaders and ignore the D3D or OGL framework then I would suggets trying tools such as ATI Rendermonkey or NVIDIA FX Composer. Both will allow you to jump into the shader development directly with minimal work on the other things.

K-

Thats for the smartshader competition. ATI have recently approached us asking if we'd like a GLSL competition.

Well, we did have some concerns over the number of ATI competitions we've had recently so I initially said I'd think about it. We had approached NVIDIA about doing one a while back, and while they sounded interested they haven't said anything since. Seeing as ATI approached us for this and its still going to give you guys an opportunity to win something then I think we're going to to ask if the offer is still open. Perhaps we can bug NVIDIA again when their new stuff comes out.

Dave B(TotalVR) said:
I am eager to get writing my own shaders, but I have no idea how to start.

Im sure I need some kind of developers kit, also I totally dont know how to code in direct3d or opengl. Its just shaders look like assembly language to me so its right up my street.

Can someone direct me to what i need to get?
OpenGL is quite easy to learn. http://www.opengl.org is a great site for help.

Additionally, I learned my basics on programming in GL from http://nehe.gamedev.net

Once you get through the basics, the OpenGL specification and extension repository are indispensable. Links to both are available at opengl.org.

Also, don't hesitate to look up demos that include source code that have been released by ATI, nVidia, and others.

IMO the nice thing about smartshaders is that they provide an easy way to get into shader programming, but with practical effects on games.

As for competitions, if the GLSL one will have an R420 as a prize, then I'll definitely consider entering it. (Space invaders, anyone? :))

Clootie said:

In the movie Toy Story, you can spot the teapot in the scene after Buzz loses his arm and has tea with the headless dolls. You have to wonder if they put that scene in just so that a gratuitous Teapot could be inserted. (Thanks to Graeme Devine for pointing that one out).

That's funny....after having seen Toy Story for the 20th or 30th time in bits and pieces (young kids, you know!), I remember watching that scene and saying..."hey...isn't that THE teapot?"

Dooper Super guys, cheers.

Spose I am gonna have to learn some D3D/OGL programming otherwise and shader I do is gonna be on a flat poly with nothing else happening. In fact Am I even gonna be able to make a shader without first having a shell to run it in?

Back