Nvidia Ampere Discussion [2020-05-14]

Mh, pushing the launch out for two weeks apparently did work wonders for availability. Some ruthless shops charging 800-900 Euro for a 500 Euro card. Well done, Nvidia.

Nvidia sets the MSRP, the retailer sets the sale price on the shelf, be they virtual or physical. If your complaint is about secondary sales (i.e. scalpers) buying up all the stock and jacking up the prices, this has been a problem in tech for years now. I'm sure measures can be taken to improve the situation, but I doubt the problem can be eliminated altogether.

Nvidia sets the MSRP, the retailer sets the sale price on the shelf, be they virtual or physical.
Thank you, Cpt. Obvious. too-late-edit: I realize this sounds rude, so please add a ;)-smiley mentally in retrospect.

If your complaint is about secondary sales (i.e. scalpers) buying up all the stock and jacking up the prices, this has been a problem in tech for years now. I'm sure measures can be taken to improve the situation, but I doubt the problem can be eliminated altogether.
I'm not complaining, I'm commenting on the reason Nvidia gave for pushing back 3070 launch two weeks. Maybe I would complain if I was in the market for an RTX card and desperately trying to buy one, having sold my 2080 Ti in advance and now dreading dec. 1oth with me sitting there on integrated graphics.

Fortunately, that's not even remotely the case, but I know people for whom it is.

Last edited:
Thank you, Cpt. Obvious.

I'm not complaining, I'm commenting on the reason Nvidia gave for pushing back 3070 launch two weeks. Maybe I would complain if I was in the market for an RTX card and desperately trying to buy one, having sold my 2080 Ti in advance and now dreading dec. 1oth with me sitting there on integrated graphics.

Fortunately, that's not even remotely the case, but I know people for whom it is.

It will be my case soon as I'm travelling back home and bringing my GTX1060 as a surprise to my brother. Since I have a Ryzen 3900X I don't even have integrated graphics. Really thinking about getting an RX6800 even if out of spite, despite the seemingly inferior RT and none existing DLSS competitor at launch.

I managed to get a 3070 founders edition. Not that big of upgrade over 1080ti but I want to have ray tracing and my old cpu is likely the bottle neck anyway. If cpu is not bottle neck, I'm happy to use dlss to get better framerate at 1440p. Should also be significantly quieter and cooler than the 1080ti founders blower edition.

Nvidia sets the MSRP, the retailer sets the sale price on the shelf, be they virtual or physical. If your complaint is about secondary sales (i.e. scalpers) buying up all the stock and jacking up the prices, this has been a problem in tech for years now. I'm sure measures can be taken to improve the situation, but I doubt the problem can be eliminated altogether.
This time NVIDIAs MSRPs are a joke, though, real MSRP is around $50-100 higher and it's not just retailers scalping. (after September all the 3080 AIB prices jumped in concert and FE's are nowhere to be seen, RTX 3070 AIB prices are way higher than FE to begin with and FEs are so limited it's ridiculous (not even all of nvidias own webstores got them, for example Finland was left without a single one)

This really begs the question, is Nvidia finding it difficult to produce even a ~400mm2 die on what should be a fairly mature process by now?

If 3070ti rumors are true, my guess is they launched non ti for the sake of it, but they will focus on ti's now ? Idk, this is so weird...

If 3070ti rumors are true, my guess is they launched non ti for the sake of it, but they will focus on ti's now ? Idk, this is so weird...

But that's rumored to be based on GA102 which is seemingly even harder to produce. They definitely need GA104 for the sub $500 market and perhaps they can drop the price of the 3070 to $449?

But that's rumored to be based on GA102 which is seemingly even harder to produce. They definitely need GA104 for the sub $500 market and perhaps they can drop the price of the 3070 to $449?

What I meant was, they can produce more, but if a lineup change is coming, they have no interest to do so. So they may be producing 30xx Ti right now, and not the original gpus anymore (I know it's still ga102 but you get my point).

To be honest I don't really believe this scenario.

What I meant was, they can produce more, but if a lineup change is coming, they have no interest to do so. So they may be producing 30xx Ti right now, and not the original gpus anymore (I know it's still ga102 but you get my point).

To be honest I don't really believe this scenario.

Yea I get your point, and honestly even I'm struggling to understand what the issue is. I'd speculated that perhaps it was GDDR6X prouction, which the 3070Ti is also using. But the regular 3070 with regular GDDR6 shouldn't have any problems. They can cut the price of the 3070 and continue selling it if the Ti is replacing it at the current price.

I think its a combination of supply shortage but also demand

https://videocardz.com/newz/zotac-r...geforce-rtx-3080-trinity-through-amazon-alone

The 3070 stock here in Sweden was much better than 80-90 series. Every store had more than 20+ cards of every brand and model. I f5:ed like a madman at 14:00 and got confirmation 14:02 but even then im on backorder!! The cards went in seconds. And the worst is that MSRP prices were offered for the first 50 cards before the price was raised (Gigabyte had this offer)

Is NVidia keeping the best binning GA104s (GA102s too?) for laptops?

Possibly, that's what they did for Turing. The perfect TU104 and TU106 dies went into laptops and Quadros. It doesn't explain why there's a shortage of lower binned / cut down parts though.

Possibly, that's what they did for Turing. The perfect TU104 and TU106 dies went into laptops and Quadros. It doesn't explain why there's a shortage of lower binned / cut down parts though.
Could the definition of "perfect" be different with Ampere?

Yea I get your point, and honestly even I'm struggling to understand what the issue is. I'd speculated that perhaps it was GDDR6X prouction, which the 3070Ti is also using. But the regular 3070 with regular GDDR6 shouldn't have any problems. They can cut the price of the 3070 and continue selling it if the Ti is replacing it at the current price.

We'll know with Nvidias Earnings Resulsts on the 18th November. Analysts will ask questions and the results/outlook will show how much of the supply issue is because of demand and how much because of problems. At the moment it's impossible to say. Some media outlets like Gamersnexus say, the supply is there, just demand is extreme. It's so hard to find gpus in europe, that i can't really believe it. Big quantities directly going to china? We'll see in a few weeks.

If you take the number from overclockers.co.uk, things seeeeems to get a little bit better in the futur (like, they're waiting for a large amount of 3090..., but it was a mess at the very beginning, high demand or not.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...ries-how-to-cancel-your-order.18899277/page-3

"Zotac 3090 is now in stock and available to order, about 30 units presently and another 150+ are due next week. Other 3090's also seem to be improving in supply, 3080 still proves to be tight but I do believe a light is starting to shine at the end of a very long tunnel."

Well, i work for a computer shop in europe since 2003, and honestly, never saw anything like this regarding supply, never even close for any launch in the past, its very very limited. They should have waited for this launch.

Back